Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Lost Highway

Cool!

Even though OCMS does this song in A, and a lot of jammers like doing it in G, I originally had it tabbed out in the D position, so I could capo 3 and sing in my preferred key of F. Last week, when I decided not to sing in F so much, I retabbed it to G, but I’m not sure the fingerings are just right. It seems like it flowed a little better the way I had it in D, but I guess the tab is a good starting point anyway.

Yep perfect starting point. There are a few spots that the fingering gets a little twisted…twisted in a sense that one says oops I gotta switch positions here and I have ran out of fingers…so I went back and changed my fingering so I would have the correct finger in place when the position change came up.

I still fight coming up with cool leads, I can hear it and where I want to go, however I stumble a lot in staying with the melody and making something of it, seeing how others do it is always a good practice in my learning curve and I appreciate you sharing the tef file.

Switching some of the double stops to single notes seems to make it easier to play. I’ll probably keep tweaking it as I go.

Anyone wanna lay down “Lonesome Fiddle Blues”?

Got a scratch track I just uploaded, has a spot to put in an intro…start lead on second pass through of opening line and it will work out to match your lead.

Not real fast, 180 BPM and “lonely sounding”.

Let me know who is interested…I am planning on trying to get the lead up later this eve…according to if kids and momma will give me time to record without being noisy/knocking on my door.

here is the link. Feel free to simply down load it and use it as a backing track if ya just want to practice.

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=238583&projectId=37367

UPDATE:
UPLOADED A LEAD IN “on the fly” INTRO & GUITAR PART

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=238606&projectId=37367

I had a mando break worked out for LFB a while back. I could probably revive it, but I’m a bit behind on my recording right now. I still gotta re-record my Lost Highway dobro.

I’m finally back! Had problems with my internet connection at home and could only get it sorted out yesterday! So many comments to read through, but I’m hoping someone could update me and tell me what I need to do. Hope you all had a great festive season and I wish you guys a happy and music-filled 2013 :slight_smile:

Welcome back Hugo! Lost highway could be called just about done, but there still a few thoughts of adding or replacing some tracks. Larry wanted to do a new Dobro track (I liked the original, but I am not going to argue). I’ve been busy. I played with a harmonica (edited typo of “harmonics”) but never recorded it. Pretty much, if you think of a track you want to put on it, have at it. There have been rumblings of a new project. I still want to go back and spend a few hours just playing with the mix to tweak it.
Here’s the link to the Kompoz project:
kompoz.com/compose-collabora … ctId=36682

Haven’t had much time for music lately as from Boxing Day on is one of my major trading periods at the caves.

Apart from that life has been heating up in Oz. We have had record temperatures this week and bushfires all over the place. One still running in our area north of us but currently not a threat to our place, cool change last night after 42degC (107degF) day so today much better. However it is going to get really hot again by end of the week and it doesn’t take much to start one.
Everyone on standby hoping it is nothing like 2003 when we dealt with fires around us for over 4 weeks. At least my dam is 75% full this time instead of only a foot of water last time. Been sorting out extra hoses and oil changes to fire pumps etc.
Rather be playing music … :unamused:

Haven’t had much time for music lately as from Boxing Day on is one of my major trading periods at the caves.

Apart from that life has been heating up in Oz. We have had record temperatures this week and bushfires all over the place. One still running in our area just north of us but currently not a threat to our place, cool change last night after 42degC (107degF) day so today much better. However it is going to get really hot again by end of the week and it doesn’t take much to start one or the wind to change.
Everyone on standby hoping it is nothing like 2003 when we dealt with fires around us for over 4 weeks. At least my dam is 75% full this time instead of only a foot of water last time. Been sorting out extra hoses and oil changes to fire pumps etc.
Rather be playing music … :unamused:

Whoops, did some wrong clicking there :blush: … must be getting jumpy…

Wow, amazing job guys! It really sounds awesome. Maybe I could do a very basic banjo backing as well as some vocal harmonies? I’ll give it a go anyway and you guys can decide if it works or not.

Have to say again, it sounds sooooo so good. :smiley:

Cool! Add whatever you would like, Hugo. I think I’ll wait on a dobro re-record until I see what you come up with. It’s good to have you back.

Ozi, sounds like things are getting rough, and you must have a lot of fire season still to come.

Yes, we knew it would be a bad one as a lot of spring growth then predictions for high temps for summer. The fire to our north is currently under control after taking out 30,000 acres of bush and grazing land, however it is winding up again for the coming weekend. My place is surrounded by bushland (nearest neighbours about 3 miles away) and luckily during the 2003 fires the State Forestry blokes came in and started a backburn 50 yards from our house (to protect their pine plantations on the other side of our place) just before the fires got to us. 10 years on and there is a lot of leaf litter out in the bush again.

As if the fires weren’t enough, now you’ve got the red wave! Looks like that wasn’t too close to you, though.

I put some mando on oldhat’s Lonesome Fiddle Blues project. If you’re still surviving okay, I think you should slap some bass on it.

Will do as soon as I have time (hopefully in next few days), if that’s ok with Jesse.

Winds dropped today - good as that is the main worry for shifts of fire front to north of us. Things cooled down today round here, though nearly 50 degC in some parts up north and fires for them.
Seems like a few days of respite here then back up to 40 by the end of the week.

By the way for those who are tired of trawling GC in search, or were disappointed by Santa, here is an easy option…
youtube.com/watch?v=7r-LveJuNo8 :sunglasses:

Edible instruments… How can you beat that?

I want my nose flute baked with butter and sour cream.

Following ozi’s link lead me down the strange path of musical veggies.

Here’s Grandfather’s Clock on a radish:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aa_0OnEwXM[/video]

I think I actually understood a word. I think he said Daikon. I didn’t even know I spoke Japanese. Now I just have to work on the other words.

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Will do as soon as I have time (hopefully in next few days), if that’s ok with Jesse.

— End quote

Yes it is OK! I put up those fiddle tunes to not only get others to contribute but to help along the line of practicing but to provide others with a backing track to practice against. Not real serious about the sound of these fiddle tunes when we record, just doing it as a practice session type of thing and all are free to contribute.

I agree, oldhat, that not every project needs to be an epic production. Sometimes it’s just fun to lay down some quick tracks and not worry about it too much. I hadn’t played my LFB mando break in probably a year and was pleasantly surprised that I had retained most of it in my muscle memory. I was recording after only an hour or so of practice.