Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lets do a collaboration

think I just finally got it loaded into my machine…boy I feel non-tech-savvy…

I uploaded an “in time” guitar break…had to add a few notes to it to keep it in time but it will work.

Plug it in where ever. I know I am just giving you the audio without it being where it is pos’d to be as far as timing goes, so for future reference how am I supposed to deliver/prep these files before upload?

Jesse

verse 3 ( lay down last night…) uploaded.

Jesse, do you have the ability to bounce the first few clicks of the metronome (track you are listening to) onto the beginning of the track you are recording? That is what I normally do.

Fiddlewood:

No I don’t have that ability.

I will have in the future though, I have a lot to learn and Larry is bailing me out…I am just trying to keep it in time is about it and larry is just dropping it in. If we do anything in the future I plan on getting some software and learning, however I have no clue what to get…may end up getting the same as Larry so he can teach/help me when I need help.

We kind of messed up a bit but no problem, I was going off the verses in order of the lyrics that Larry posted…well I was figuring that “I Lay down” would be the first verse, so I done that…seen you done it also and I went ahead and done the “Headlight” one. He tossed out the “hollow log” verse, so to me the “I lay Down” is the 1st verse that is not the common verse.

Again bare with me, never really recorded before in multiple parts so this is new for me, don’t chew me up and spit me out, be GENTLE!

And in other news, I am not used to singing without playing an instrument at the same time…is a bit different as I am “thinking” about singing with no instrument in my hand where as if I am playing an instrument I just kid of blurt it out and don’t think about it.

Oldaht

I’m with you on the singing without playing thing…pretty humbling for me.

I was wondering if the one verse got thrown out. I can do the last one then…no big thing, it would be nice if I remembered what I read better…haha

I’ve only got one computer that’s powerful enough to run my mixing software and my wife has been using it the last couple of hours. I’m on it now, so give me a half hour or so to do some mixing and we can have a listen.

Nice work, gentlemen. It’s really taking shape, now. The newest version is uploaded. I exercised my producer’s prerogative and put you in the order I wanted. One of the nice things about being a slave to the metronome is that the sections are interchangeable.

Now that my mixing chores are over I’ll work on some vocals.

Calling Ron! Where are you? You’re missing out on the funnest part.

Haha, that’s turning into something now!

I fought getting the second part of the guitar solo in time…I mean I tried about 20-30 times to get something in there then finally I said “the hell with it, there are not a lot of rules over a few notes so just wing it and make it fit”…sounds a little odd but is in time and works I guess.

It’s def a “Yeehaw” song and to me sounds like a lot of fun, don’t know if others will think that but I do.

Oldhat

It’s fun watching the song take shape isn’t it? Kind of has a life of it’s own.

I think the measure or two at the end of your guitar break is the perfect place for a banjo fill.

I just uploaded a new version with the first verse in place.

Yes it is a lot of fun watching it transpire into something that sounds like music!

I wish my mic was as clean as your guys…may have to go buy a decent one, seen Ben recommended one in another thread and I may look into it.

Now comes the Harmony, other leads, fills and Ron’s verse and we’ll have a song.

I think it’s gonna sound “live” to some extent so that’s good. Something about that progression that can just “pull you in”.

Only thing I see is that my rhythm gets a little boring and slightly off in the parts you can hear towards the end of the song…I am gonna blame that on fatigue as man that is a long rhythm section and as we all know that F chord will wear you out pretty quickly on the guitar.

I think our project is reasonably tight, rhythmically. A little looseness is okay on this song anyway.

I think Ben and Stich use the same mic but I forget which one it is.

I added an early morning mandolin break to the project.

Jesse, I think you’ll find after more time recording you will begin to play lighter and gain more stamina.

the rhythm is fine and you will tend to get tired of hearing your own playing. when doing this. Once the backup and fills are added I think you’ll like the overall sound much better and not hear your rhythm so much.

Time to pick harmony Parts. If you can both hit the tenor above the lead I like to suggest that Jess sing above Larry on the first and Larry sing above me on the last. If either of you would rather do lower parts let me know and we can do it differently.

I’ll cut the last verse at least today.

I’m liking that we all sang a verse, the difference is nice.

Lead vocal to last is up.

Just want to take a moment to thank you for all the time your spending engineering. I know it’s got to be a bit of a bear with all the different tracks we are laying down. I think your doing a great job!

Thanks

Dave

I will work on the harmonies. May take a day or so as momma has been out of town on business for the past few days and she has big plans for me and the 3 kids…can’t complain though as I am a “kept man”, even if I did complain no one would listen anyway so I just go along to get along!

Shopping is one of them and I think I can wiggle in a hunt for a decent mic!

Yes thanks for the the engineering work Larry. I messed with Audacity a few years ago and hopefully with software these days/what you have simply lets you plug and play and drop in stuff pretty close to where it needs to be.

Jesse

All right, I’ve got your latest vocals mixed and uploaded, Fiddlewood.

I’m glad to do the mixing for our project, guys. I learn a lot with every project I do. It is a deep rabbit hole, though. Once I get started, I can spend 20 minutes on some little minutia that no one else would ever notice, then catch myself 5 minutes later adjusting things back the way they were before. I used to wonder why as soon as Hip Hop artists got famous they’d stop calling themselves musicians and start calling themselves producers. Producer seemed way less glamourous to me, but now I understand. With electronic music, I think the producer probably has more to do with how a finished track sounds than the musicians do.

Oldhat, as far as just dropping tracks into the project, it’s not an exact science for me. I’ve been known to put things in the wrong place (just ask Dave), so let me know if I’m off.
A mic with a larger diaphragm would probably pick up the mid/low frequency tones a lot better for you. I think the Samson CO1U USB condenser mic is what Ben and Stich use. Less than $100 and plugs into the USB port with no need for phantom power. It also comes with a copy of Sonar LE which is a stripped down version of the mixing software I’m using.

As for singing the tenor harmony, I’ve been wondering if I can get up there. At first I thought no way, but then last night I was trying to sing harmony with my own first verse and it seemed possible. I’ll give it a try today.

One last thing… with all your individual tracks, once I download them from Kompoz, I don’t need them on the site anymore. In the interest of keeping things tidy, I was going to delete them out unless you guys want them to remain.

You can dump all my tracks. I usually get rid of everything as soon as I can here too, jsut to keep myself form getting lost amongst all the versions etc.

Larry, if you can hit the harmony great. if you have trouble let me know and I’ll get that part, whatever works best for you.

going to go pick my new Banjo now…hehe…

Yep, you can dump the tracks.

Off shopping, may try to come home with a Blue Yeti Pro mic or the Samson.

Here is a link to the song so far for anyone reading this that wants to hear it.

In other news: Contacted a guy about a Blue Yeti Pro, found some new for $250.00 but made an offer on a used one of $125.00 to a guy on Craigslist. Said I could either come and get it this evening or tomorrow for my offer. One thing good about living in the Nashville area is that there are a ton of things “musical” on Craigslist cause Lord knows there are a ton of starving artist selling their gear when they realize they are hacks and they only found themselves getting eaten alive by Nashville.

Glad I do this for entertainment purposes…Oh here is the link:

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=204083

That was a lot of fun to listen to. Thanks for posting it for us to hear. Good job, Guys.

That’s real good. And all youse have good singing voices too!