Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

When String Snapping Goes Wrong

Doing this makes old strings sound bright again.

Sometimes if the string is too old they break when you try to snap them. Especially if you’ve done it once before

4 Likes

Haha, guess this means I need new strings. I already knew that though, I haven’t changed them in like a year :joy:

Ah, so it sounds like snapping them will break off some of the caked on dirt…yes?

3 Likes

Yep!

2 Likes

On the wound string, yes. @Flatpickin_Libby’s trick! A little trick I use all the time! - Guitar - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

5 Likes

Are you blaming ME?!?

5 Likes

@Mason_Crone, that (the above) one’s for you! :slight_smile:

Never heard of string snapping.
Wonder if it works on mandolin🤔

@Mason_Crone @Flatpickin_Libby
The irony😂

5 Likes

Yeh that used to happen to me all the time when I used light gauge strings.

You can’t pluck that guitar without the strings breaking but you can shoot arrows with it just fine!

4 Likes

No, not at all! :joy: Seriously, I just thought you’d find it funny since I learned it from you.

4 Likes

I laughed. I could imagine you thinking about me when you started to snap them, all proud of yourself for knowing one of Jake’s tricks, haha…

6 Likes

But Jake (and I :smirk:) would also tell you not to let the strings get a year old on your guitar!

3 Likes

Yeah, I took the trick from an apprentice of the master. But then it backfired.

5 Likes

Yeahhhh… I’m pretty cheap. I stretch them out as long as I can :joy:

So you don’t even have spares? Have you fixed the string?

1 Like

Nope. I gotta get some.

D’Addario Guitar Strings - Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings - EJ17-3D - Superb, Long Lasting Tone, Comfortable Playability - For 6 String Guitars - 13-56 Medium, 3-Pack https://a.co/7YTclHH

Put it on Subscribe & Save, set it for every quarter year, and you can change your strings once a month. I know it’s something that’s tough to budget for at first but then you realize it’s a necessity. It used to really feel tough for me to spend money on strings. Then I got to the point where I realized it’s an investment and a pretty crucial part of enjoying my guitar.

4 Likes

Yeah, true. I do need to have some spares on hand, I saw that Russ Carson has like 30 sets in his case… :joy:

4 Likes