Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

When String Snapping Goes Wrong

This one’s for you @Flatpickin_Libby :joy:

10 Likes

You seem happy! Maybe you wanted that happen??! :wink:

I most certainly didn’t want that to happen, I don’t have any extra strings right now.

1 Like

Oh then so sorry for you. :frowning: But then the good thing is, you have an educational video ready now, on how not to do things! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, I’m gonna keep doing it. It works really well. I’m thinking it may have been this string’s time to go anyway, it broke when I was tuning it back up, not as I was snapping it. Who knows :joy:

1 Like

Were you pulling them to break them in? Just curious.

2 Likes

Doing this makes old strings sound bright again.

Sometimes if the string is too old they break when you try to snap them. Especially if you’ve done it once before

4 Likes

Haha, guess this means I need new strings. I already knew that though, I haven’t changed them in like a year :joy:

Ah, so it sounds like snapping them will break off some of the caked on dirt…yes?

3 Likes

Yep!

2 Likes

On the wound string, yes. @Flatpickin_Libby’s trick! A little trick I use all the time! - Guitar - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

5 Likes

Are you blaming ME?!?

5 Likes

@Mason_Crone, that (the above) one’s for you! :slight_smile:

Never heard of string snapping.
Wonder if it works on mandolin🤔

@Mason_Crone @Flatpickin_Libby
The irony😂

5 Likes

Yeh that used to happen to me all the time when I used light gauge strings.

You can’t pluck that guitar without the strings breaking but you can shoot arrows with it just fine!

4 Likes

No, not at all! :joy: Seriously, I just thought you’d find it funny since I learned it from you.

4 Likes

I laughed. I could imagine you thinking about me when you started to snap them, all proud of yourself for knowing one of Jake’s tricks, haha…

6 Likes

But Jake (and I :smirk:) would also tell you not to let the strings get a year old on your guitar!

3 Likes