Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What non-Bluegrass/Country Music you play

I like pretty much all kinds of music Classical, Military Marching Bands Sousa especially King Cotton, Semper Fidelis, Big Band Sound Glen Millar, Dixieland, Jazz, 1920s Music, Skiffle, Rock n Rock Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, blues, comedy songs, folk music, country.

Don’t like Punk or Rap

I should add I don’t play any of this music

1 Like

I play pretty much whatever folks pay me to play. However, when I get to choose I enjoy James Taylor, Nickel Creek, old swing tunes, fiddle tunes, Beatles, and any fun acoustic tune that I can wrap my hands and voice around.

Now if you are talking about electric guitar, that is another story altogether. :wink:

11 Likes

That is really good!

2 Likes

One of my favourite Simon & Garfunkel songs. Beautifully sung. :heart:

For current non-Bluegrass playing, I like Mississippi/Delta/Country blues, Neil Young, G Welch/D Rawlings, J Taylor and Norman Blake stuff; Great Western Dance by Brashear & McLaughlin, Dreary Black Hills as done by Jim Ringer; and I’m working on the Surfer Girl cover by Bill Frisell and Bert Jansch’s cover of Jackson C Frank’s Blues Run the Game. For some of these, I try to apply Ben’s teaching on building breaks, etc. When I’m still in a non-Bluegrass mood, I practice BWV 998 by JSB.

1 Like

Good question,

I’ve wondered what other folks here on the site play besides the usual bluegrass stuff myself. Taking it even further, I wonder what some of the pros play outside of what we hear from them. Like… has anyone ever heard or seen Tony Rice play anything other than a dreadnought acoustic guitar? With that kind of talent, what could he do with an electric guitar, or a mandolin, banjo or any other instrument?

I primarily flat pick acoustic bluegrass guitar, but I also have a Gretsch hollowbody electric that I run through a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp with a nice delay pedal. With that setup, I love to play Rockabilly. (Brian Setzer style). I go for a cleaner tone (less overdrive). Nothing else sounds like a Gretsch played through a clean tube amp with a little bit of slapback delay!

Anyway, I’m assuming this is what you were looking for with your question.

Thanks,

J.W.

1 Like

Keep em comin! Is this you r wife and son?

Look at Mumford and Sons.

Yep, that is my wife and son about a year or so ago. We still play gigs together as much as possible (though we all work full time at separate jobs). I’m hoping we get a few jobs playing out together this summer.
Speaking of summer, here comes the sun…

5 Likes

Fantastic version of the Boxer. What a CLASSIC SONG - I only wish I could contribute to an ensemble like that. GREAT JOB!

Beautiful family…You’re blessed. Great segue into the video. :+1:

Love playing acoustic crowd pleasers… Zac Brown, Jimmy Buffet, etc… Also play a ton of old timey stuff like from Norman Blake for example.

Beyond that - I was a metal head in the 80’s…a great time to grow up! I have an old early 80’s Charvel, an 88’ BC Rich and a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc that I love to rock out on. Also have a Strat and Fender Blues Deluxe I like to play some SRV, Buddy Guy and the like…

2 Likes

Growing up I would always try to play Skynyrd, ZZ Top, SRV, Hendrix, David Allen Coe, Hank Jr, etc. I still love blues electric and acoustic guitar.

This is one that I really like. Too bad I can not play either part yet.

1 Like

Dan Walsh & John Dowling from the UK. I had the pleasure of meeting and listening to Dan playing a few years back at the Edinburgh Banjo Club.
Edinburgh%20Banjo%20Club

2 Likes

Brilliant. I really like his claw hammer style more than most. This is the best combination of three finger and claw hammer that I have heard. It seems the two do not go together easily but John and Dan really made this fantastic especially un-accompanied by any other instruments. Congrats on meeting Dan. Do you have any of his albums?

1 Like

Hi Cliff

No I don’t buy many albums these days.

Dan is a phenomenal clawhammer banjoist check out his website https://www.danwalshbanjo.co.uk/

1 Like

The guy on the right is “in the zone”. Bigtime!

I used to play stuff like this:

7 Likes

Yeah man!

1 Like