Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Using my Blue Chip TD60 for first time

Using my 40.00 pick for the first time today in church. I love it. There is - to my fingers and ears - a VERY discernible difference in feel and sound. As rehearsal wore on, I didn’t lose my grip on the pick from sweaty hands… and the sound of my Taylor with 13’s was VERY punchy. It’s official. I have drunk the Bluechip kool-aid.

11 Likes

Maybe I just need some Blue Chip Kool aid.

2 Likes

Try a Bluechip flatpick sometime - it works the same as the Kool-aid

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Hah! There is a serious difference to me. Just finished the first service. It’s a keeper.

4 Likes

I bought a TD60 a month ago and it works well with my guitar. I thought it was a bit thick for the mandolin so I bought a TD35 at camp and love it…been using it ever since.

1 Like

I know it’s hard to justify a $40 pick, but when professionals lean towards a product (without being a paid endorser), there’s probably a good reason.
I also have a $10 ProPik thumb pick which I like a lot. Brighter sound than the Blue Chip, but not quite as good a fit.

1 Like

It seemed hard to justify when I bought it…. Had some $ to burn… but after two services today, it is totally a justifiable purchase. Don’t know the mechanics of it all, but my guitar tone was HUGE.

6 Likes

It’s a massive change in tone, I simply couldn’t believe it the first time.

4 Likes

Yeah, It’s a slow and unpleasant death, but death is inevitable so you may as well choose this one

2 Likes

Into my second week with my Blue Chip pick. I am sold. I went back to to several older picks and I can’t stand them! This little gem is a permanent fixture for me now.

7 Likes

I love my TP60-1R. It’s, in a word, perfect for me. I liked the Primetones almost equally as much as the CT55, but they don’t touch this one.

4 Likes

Same here…I have a td-60 butuse the TD-35 for the mandolin all the time. I really like it!

1 Like

As an aside, I believe that the texture on a Blue Chip is very similar to the purple Dunlop turtle picks – but the tone is COMPLETELY different. I find the purples to have a sharp-ish edge that causes a clicky/trebly overtone.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever used a Dunlop pick. When I finally got serious about playing/learning mandolin I just bought whatever pick looked like a good deal. I had never even heard about Blue Chip picks until I joined @BanjoBen. I bought a TP-60, mostly to see what the hoopla in another thread was all about (and the fact that Sierra Hull recommended it) but find it a bit stiff for my playing. While at BBCs @CabinCamp I bought a TD-35 which my instructor Penny Lee thought might be a bit thin; I actually liked it a lot more than the -60 and used it for the whole camp (lots of playing) and ever since. The -60 is great for my guitar and I agree with you on the tone…amazingly good tone from both and I love the lesser amount of pick noise.

1 Like

I could go on and on about picks – what a funny little thing to think about with my “spare cycles.”

Many years ago, I was very fortunate to be turned onto the importance of thick picks (thank heavens!) because I found thin picks to really hold me back. Since then, it’s always been 1.4+. The BC’s are the first picks that seem to disappear in your hand when playing.

This thread inspired me to order a TD60 from the shop, so keep it up!

2 Likes

This is the magic stuff right here!
Mr g

5 Likes

The 60 is THE GAUGE! :boom: Although I personally like the TP shape better.

5 Likes

Tell ‘em I sent ya!

1 Like

My TD -60 came with some personalization (name) and a motto (Pick On!). Hopefully if I drop it a a Cabin Camp someday someone will say, “Hey, is there a Ron Mele here? I got your pick!”

3 Likes