Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Transcribing Billy Strings

Just finished transcribing the Billy Strings solos on Salt Creek/Old Joe Clark.

I don’t have anything to say. Just proud I did it. :slight_smile:

Dave

16 Likes

Well post it! :joy:

6 Likes

Dang it. When Banjo Ben calls you out, you gotta do something. Alright. I’ll put a video together.

3 Likes

Even the tastey rhythm behind the first mandolin break?

2 Likes

OK @BanjoBen. You asked for it. Don’t ask me to play it at 260 bpm.

For anyone interested, feel free to ask questions. This song actually opened a lot of Billy Strings playing for me. He has similar patterns across many of his songs.

The files were too big to post so I put them as unlisted links on YouTube for you to view.
Verse 1
Verse 2, part 1
Verse 2, part 2
Verse 3 - Old Joe Clark

Feel free to ask questions. I’m happy to help however I can. Billy plays A LOT of notes. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Dave

8 Likes

Excellent! Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Man that has to be a lot of work! Great job!

3 Likes

I’m new… since my youth I played as a strummer; never had the benefits of a teacher … So at age 74 I started to learn from a teacher … looked on line, finally found Bryan Sutton, studied his videos for about 7 or 8 months … then got a LIVE teacher who was good and I learned from him for at least 6 or 7 months, then found Banjo Ben and his material is more in the style I want to play. Just joined the Forum here … I listen to the videos you posted on YouTube … you have to be very advanced to figure out the material you posted… anyway, I was impressed. I live near Bellville, TX … how do I find out if any members here might live near me? I’m wondering. Thks, Louie Modling

4 Likes

We used to have a google maps,but the link I tried didn’t work for me. There are a few folks down around the Houston area. I am SW of Fort Worth. Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Thanks Louie! Great question. And welcome to the site! I would introduce yourself around the site. Ask questions and just like you did here, say, I’m near Bellville, TX if anyone wants to connect. You’ll find some folks around. Glad you’re here!

1 Like

Hey Louie! Good to meet you, and glad to see another fellow Texan on the board. I’m in Humble, TX, which is about 1.5 hrs from Bellville. By Texas standards, that’s practically next door. :slight_smile:

If we can find a couple more people, maybe we can work up a song list and start meeting somewhere.

1 Like

Thks

1 Like

He @Mark_Rocka … GREAT there’s a fellow Texan here … How long have you been playing (and is it guitar you play? I was a strummer my whole life until 1 1/2 yrs ago I started really STUDYING. First I just studied online without a teacher and that helped me, but I figured out that a real, live teacher I had to find. So I did, and he helped me a lot. He is a great bluegrass player and he gave me good feedback and correction and I greatly improved. Then I had to stop for a few months (May, June, July and most of August). But I’m studying and practicing again. And I wanted to find somebody that seemed to know bluegrass and what songs/tunes are played locally. I found BanjoBen. I really wanted live lessons, but I was so impressed with BB’s technique and skill on the guitar that I decided to try BB out. I’ll bet that we could play some songs together. I would classify myself as Intermediate. I play pretty good, but I have to still use my tabs a lot. By the way, my phone # is (281) 723-8643 and I have the prefect place in the country to pick and grin. Would love to get together. Even if we couldn’t do it in person right now, we could at least Zoom a session.

2 Likes

Hey @Mike_R , you must be in the hill country … Nothing like the beautiful hill country! What town you in? Tell me about your experience pickin and grinnin.

Hey Louie. I’ll try to play anything I can get my hands on, but I’m most comfortable with a banjo. I’d also classify myself as an intermediate player. Trying really hard to get good at improv. It’s not easy.

It takes a special software to jam online due to the lag. Even half a second is too much to enjoy picking together. I’ve been looking at JamKazaam a little, but I need to dig in to it more.

I’m sure we can figure something out.

1 Like

I’ll be in touch with you tomorrow or Monday … I’m committed today to my Sabbath Bible Study … but I would like to chat on Zoom if you would like

1 Like

Hi Louie,
I am in Cresson. I play guitar and a little bit of other instruments (no banjo… yet). I used to enjoy going to bluegrass jams, but other hobbies and responsibilities have filled those times for a few years. One of these years, I’ll get back to it.

I second what Mark said about zoom playing… you can’t easily play together. Even listening to an instrument or a voice over an iPhone is rough sailing. There are ways to get online jamming going, but it’d be easier to drive to see Mark :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @Mike_R Would you like to say “Hello” on Zoom today (Sunday)? Also, I’m wondering if you’ve posted any of your playing on YouTube?

1 Like

Hey @Mark_Rocka … would you like to visit on Zoom? My email is louiemodling@gmail.com … my phone is (281) 723-8643

1 Like

@DSoleil Thanks for this. It’s posts like these that keeps me hanging around the forum. Really appreciate you sharing.

2 Likes