Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

that looks sweet, I wonder what the tone is like

4 Likes

I was given a fiddle a couple weeks ago and am enjoying playing it! A few questions:

1. Sometimes when I bow a note, the pitch fluctuates about a semitone flat in certain portions of the bow. Is this just an issue with my awful playing, or is it more likely a problem with the bow itself?
  2. There’s a loose hair on the bow; do I need to remove it, or is it fine to leave there?
    Thanks!
7 Likes

Hi Michael.

1. any changes in pressure of the bow can change pitch.
    change in pressure of left hand fingers can change pitch
    changes in speed of bow can change pitch
    You’ll find staying on pitch to be one of the major hurdles to fiddling. It’s a touchy thing and takes time, and a lots of “ear use”…I’ve not played another instrument where just slowly practicing scales, arpeggios, and long notes has been so beneficial.

2. use a pair of clippers (i use nail clippers) and carefully cut the ends of the loose hair.

6 Likes

I used to take violin lessons, and my teacher often adjusted the bow tension, perhaps is has something to do with that?

3 Likes

Tension on hair will have an effect on the speed & pressure required for desired tone and playability.
As the tension doesn’t change while in use it wouldn’t normally have a direct effect on a single note changing pitch.

But…if too loose, the stick may hit the string causing some issues.

I find that my bow tightens up when out of the case for a while, so adjusting it regularly over a day is a fairly regular occurrence.

5 Likes

With practice your bowing will get smoother.
I was taught to grab the broken hair a tug sharply to pull it out

4 Likes

I did the tugging thing at first, but found that it can lead to several more hairs being broken or pulled loose.
Also they can break off with too much hair still attached & hanging there, but to short to pull.
that’s why I just cut the single hair.

3 Likes

Noodling around thru YouTube this evening, the following video came up. It’s a 4 fiddle tune medley. It put a smile on my face, perhaps it’ll put one on yalls as well… The fiddler was fiddling and tapping away his toes while the guitar guy was playing all this great rhythm sprinkled with what I’m gonna call ‘guitar chops’, as well as melodies - all capoless!

9 Likes

Nailed it!
Calvin has a lot of great material out!
He’s an awesome fiddler!

2 Likes

Now that was good and to my hear sounded more Scottish that much I have heard!

3 Likes

Haha! Yes!! That was soo goood!!! I love how well they play together, that guitarist followed the fiddler through some really weird transitions so smoothly!

4 Likes

They had an amazing session, I think 9 or 11 songs. The whole shindig can be found at that YouTube channel under playlists. If you liked the guitarist Clinton following Calvin, check this one out, it starts out with “Let’s play a tune you’ve never heard before… in Bb” I just love this stuff!! Hope yall enjoy!

6 Likes

I enjoy playing music like this, the only problem is I always wake up from that dream before I can finish the song :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Haha, me too :grin::notes:

2 Likes

Why is there no audience? These guys are awesome!

1 Like

Here’s a fun Kenny Baker tune I learned a while back. I play it a bit faster now

12 Likes

jpg Love the dog singing in the background.

5 Likes

Thanks
Actually if you listen, there’s several people talking near the end. Some friends showed up while I was filming and the greetings were quite loud lol

5 Likes

Yes I heard that, it was good that you kept playing and not distracted. gif

4 Likes

I see I missed this…:confounded: Oops! if you go to the 1st vid posted of these guys (big john McNeil medley) & actually watch it on youtube, there is a big description as to why no audience. Basically they ran out of time during the fiddling championship & ended up recording this way late, after folks had left the festival. It also mentioned all 11 songs in playlist were at random, not pre planned, wow! And now that we know you’re dancing, FWIW, the fiddler Calvin’s wife is a Canadian step dancer & shes featured in 2 of the vids in that playlist…

2 Likes