Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

This thread is for sharing fiddle stuff.

Ben doesn’t teach it, but several people here play it or are interested so thought I’d start this out.

I have a couple fiddles
An old D. Salzad cir 1860-80, and a Gliga (Christian) from 2008 that Courtney Rorrer used on tour with Alan Bibey.

I’ve been playing the older one this Winter.

Here is a recording of Cherokee Shuffle to Ben’s rhythm track.

20 Likes

Here is some Salt Creek.

Certainly not perfect, but fun to play. This one gave me just the most awful time keeping my bow direction right…haha

Took some of it from Ben’s mando lesson and some is my own.

Again, Ben played the backup track.

10 Likes

One more for today.

Me trying to play a Glen Duncan break to In The Garden on the Gliga.

Picture on the video is me (covered in sawdust after a tree job) at a jam in my Uncles’ Pole Barn.

10 Likes

Hi Dave, Thanks for this, now I have some great slow arrangements to practice my banjo backup.

5 Likes

Great job Dave! I don’t think I should make anyone suffer listening to my fiddle…

4 Likes

I’ve got another slow one or two I’ll post for you when I find them Archie.

@D_HRRFan7303 Harrison, no tune goes unpunished! :wink:

5 Likes

Trying to create my version of a Blaine Sprouse version of the Kenny Baker version of Pass Me Not (Oh Gentle Saviour)

Don’t do a lot of things in Bb but I like the sound of it on the fiddle.

7 Likes

Thanks Dave, Please include the Key Signature in the notes so I have some kind of heads up to figuring out the chord progression I can usually figure out tunes in G and A fairly easily.

3 Likes

:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart: this one.

3 Likes

CS A
SC A
ITG G
PMN Bb

4 Likes

Here’s a little snippet of Sallie Goodin (just up 'til the full band comes in). Most of it comes from a version by Mike Barnett.

13 Likes

Nice fiddling! I remember you mentioning that you were learning that a couple years ago when someone posted that jam here on the forum, and you did a good job with that solo!

3 Likes

Thanks!

I love Mike’s style on the fiddle , and have managed to figure out a few things he does, but actually playing them in a song situation is still on the bucket list

3 Likes

Great thead. I just started taking lessons on the fiddle a couple of months ago. I bought a fiddle about a year ago but lack of frets and learning bow technique was pretty tough on me. I found a local teacher and I’m really enjoying this companion to my mandolin.

3 Likes

Cool!

yeah, bowing and intonation are always a challenge.

It does make a nice companion to fiddle with the same tuning, even if I use different strategies to approach playing.

The break on this next one comes from Mac McGaha on an old Reno & Smiley recording. I changed the Bass part from the original one-five to a simple two-step style I thought fit it well.

5 Likes

Here’s one from a couple years ago.

9 Likes

Nice! I like the run @ .20 & @ .44 that repeats thru the song!
Is that an Otis sighting in the background :paw_prints:?

3 Likes

Yes, that is Otis!

that lick came from a Glen Duncan Break I liked (most of the chorus part did)

This is why I don’t do many live videos…underwater instruments

2 Likes

That was great, I really enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Thanks Gunnar!

i was hoping to get some others involved here but seems it’s not happening…oh well.

2 Likes