Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

5 Likes

If I played fiddle I’d be checking this out fiddler good_post Dave @Fiddle_wood

3 Likes

I take private lessons from Justin. He is an excellent instructor.

5 Likes

Sounds interesting. I having kinda quit Facebook but I may check this out. Thanks @Fiddle_wood!

4 Likes

This’ll get y’all fired up.

5 Likes

Thought I’d share the latest thing I’ve been working on. A bit rough yet but slowly getting there.
Here is some “Brown Skin Gal”…Justin Branum did the guitar rhythm track.

10 Likes

Good job Dave! Keep after 'em!

3 Likes

@Fiddle_wood Sounds great. I took that workshop as well. The double stops are killer.

5 Likes

Thanks Kody.

All the chromatic stuff was probably my biggest challenge (usually is).

3 Likes

Lots of little tricks in this Kenny Baker tune to get stove up on, but it’s a fun little tune!

Guitar is by Justin Branum.
I cut a few notes too short because my bow was going the wrong direction and i had to correct.

8 Likes

Learned this arrangement in a private lesson.

Lots of useful stuff to transfer to other tunes & improvise with.

Tried my hand at the rhythm this time…hence the mistakes…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Really enjoyed those! Would a never known there were ‘short notes’ in the WC, sounded great!

We’ve got two old fiddles probably about the same era as the tenor banjo (vid posted 3/17). One is in an authentic shaped hard shell M&W case (the patent 1902 one). Theres no identifiable markings on either fiddle. Anyway, attempted to mess with one of them a while back, got a very sorry sounding Ashokans. Having the fret hand out there just totally goofed me up, & then there’s the bow! So when I see/hear yall playing that thing, I think its awesome, its definitely not easy :grin:!!

4 Likes

Glad you liked them Simone!

Yeah, the fiddle takes a bit of tolerance to get used to playing it…haha

4 Likes

I enjoyed listening to both of those @Fiddle_wood

5 Likes

Great! glad you enjoyed them!

4 Likes

Just started listening to an interview with Andy Leftwich on the Everyone Loves Guitar podcast. He is apparently the first fiddle player (even though he is really a multi-instrumentalist). It was been pretty interesting so far and I thought I would share it with this tread…

5 Likes

Andy is definitely my favorite fiddle/mandolin player! He’s incredible while remaining tasteful in his playing. His albums are awesome, too! I’m hoping Russ Carson will have him on the Cellular Sessions.

5 Likes

Will either of said fiddles be attending camp? Because if so, certain campers may or may not be interested in making them sing…

8 Likes

[quote=“Dragonslayer, post:139, topic:10244”]
Will either of said fiddles be attending camp? Because if so, certain campers may or may not be interested in making them sing…

Was debating whether or not I should bring fiddle and/or tenor banjo to see if anyone might know something about them - Like - “hey its junk, or hey it’s worth fixing up/keeping it” So far I’ve had 2 small local places look at the banjo and they really didn’t know. As for the fiddles, I dont know if they can sing … one doesn’t have strings. The one that does have strings seems like it needs work, it also has a bow (rough looking) but then again I know nothing about fiddles… (or tenor banjos lol!) Plus I don’t know if there’ll be enuff time what with the camp activities and all… so I’m still on the fence… leaving out this Tuesday, so better figure it out soon :rofl:!!!

6 Likes

Who knows, the battered and scarred fiddle might just require a touch from a master’s hand?? You should probably take it with you if you have space in your car/truck.

7 Likes