Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

One song I'd request for a lesson is [song] on [instrument]

Wow this is great! Thanks for all the hard work and the copies. You guys should compile your own sheet music book!

4 Likes

I managed to record a lesson for it tonight, it’s three separate videos I’ll try to upload tomorrow

3 Likes

Perfect whenever works for you, like I said, no rush!

3 Likes

So tell me how do you go about compiling “rewritten” music for songs? Any processes?

4 Likes

Do you mean how do I arrange songs for instruments? I usually pick out the melody first and then add ornamentation to my taste, but it’s different on each instrument. It helps a lot to start learning stuff from videos or audio that isn’t specifically instructional, and also to be good friends with your scales

5 Likes

Good to know… I will start to attempt applying those same ideas when I find a new favorite hymn.

4 Likes

Here you go… Ben’s instructions on song improvisation…

https://banjobenclark.com/forum/t/whiskey-before-breakfast-guitar-improvisation/3578

4 Likes
1 Like

Carter style would be perfect for I’ll Fly Away. Great opportunities for walking the bass notes.

When I did nursing home ministry, that was always a favorite. FWIW, I did it in G on guitar.

2 Likes

I did it in C, cuz that’s how it fell off my fingers, but if you capo 5 you get G

1 Like

Our bluegrass club is managed by someone with no musical experience. We do a song every month, 55 min of learning time and 5 min of jam/announcements. When we did I’ll Fly Away, The Guitars and Mandos learned it in D, and the rest learned it in G. :thinking:

1 Like

Hmm, bet that sounded strange :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I guess you all headed off in different directions.

4 Likes

How about What a Friend we have in Jesus on the Banjo? I just realized there is no lesson for this.

2 Likes

Eddie Adcock’s rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Call Me the Breeze” (advanced).

2 Likes

Victory in Jesus on the mandolin

5 Likes

Anyone know if “Ashland Breakdown” is public domain?

3 Likes

I think it would be super neat to see a member here or @BanjoBen make a Bluegrass arrangement for Jerry Reeds classic tune East Bound & Down. Probably one of my fav tunes all-time.

3 Likes

Forked Deer for banjo.

4 Likes

^^^My first and favorite mando tune I’ve played so far here. Good pickin’ practice.

3 Likes