Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

One song I'd request for a lesson is [song] on [instrument]

Fill in the blanks for a song (only one please - so make it your favorite) on a specific instrument to ask @BanjoBen to make a lesson. Extra points to include skill level.

4 Likes

Where the soul never dies on mandolin. Intermediate/advanced skill level (maybe two solos like the guitar lesson)

5 Likes

The boy who wouldn’t hoe corn… AKUS version - BANJO Intermediate/Advanced

5 Likes

I’ll Fly Away…guitar… beginner/intermediate (build -a-break?)

2 Likes

You may want to email @BanjoBen yo ask him. I’ll fly away is copyright protected… but @BanjoBen just might be able to help guide you…

1 Like

I used to listen to Jim Reeves version. One of my favorite song. I think you should be able manage with these chords - C * (C with G note on the 1st string), Am7, Fadd9, G, Gadd11, Basically your pinky holding on to the 1 string 3 fret for these chords. With playing alternate bass… With strumming pattern 1,2,3,&,4… And including something like below here and there as in the Jim Reeves version song… but in any case, I’m no expert. :frowning: Ben would be your best bet and there might be others like Mark_Rocka could help too.

D:  0----------------
G:  ---------4-------3

B:  --------1------------------------1----------------
G:  ----0---------------------------------------------
D:  2------------------------2------------------------

e:  --------1-----------------------1---------------
B:  ----1-------------------------------------------
G:  2-----------------------2-----------------------

e:  0---1h-------0----1---0---

e:  0---1h---0---1---0-------

e:  0-------1-------2-------

e:  0---1---0---1----0-------

B:  1-----------------------------------1-----------
G:  ----0-------------------0-----------------------
D:  --------2-------------------2-------------------
A:  ------------3-----------------------------------
3 Likes

I’d be willing to try and work out a break build-a-break style in a coupla days when I get home. I’m currently thinking probably Carter style and then more crosspicking, and maybe I’ll try a third more intricate, but talk is cheap. I’ll see if I can when I’m home and get back to you

1 Like

Perfect, thanks y’all!!! I’ve tried to do my own, but an never get further than the melody with a few chords thrown in, nothin’ fancy. Anyway, I was havin’ trouble figuring out the chords for the melody with this one. Seems easy but we’ve been busy and my brain is fried toast right now! :joy:

3 Likes

Well, I managed to work out a Carter style and a crosspicking solo for it, and I could make a video lesson if you want, it’d be a good learning experience for me, and could be helpful for you and anyone else. It might take a long time to upload though

4 Likes

Whatever works! I can play off a video or written directions as well.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll try to film tomorrow and upload asap, which hopefully will be inside the month

4 Likes

Whenever works, don’t feel like you have to rush it!

3 Likes

@theChristiancowgirl If you like my version and can process tabledit files, I can make a tab for you. Just skip the banjer part,

3 Likes

Wow, that’s good!

3 Likes

@theChristiancowgirl Nevermind about the tabledit, I found another way to do it. Should have it done by tonight.

3 Likes

Alright, here it is. Sorry about the weird formatting, I was took screen clips from tabledit. Let me know if you have questions.
I’ll fly away.pdf (202.2 KB)

3 Likes

Sorry @theChristiancowgirl… But you see now you have @D_HRRFan7303 's music sheet, and I don’t know if you checked out Gunnar’s videos, he is going great, I’m sure he will provide playable and accurate music for you! I was/am being kept busy as well lately.

3 Likes

Wow this is great! Thanks for all the hard work and the copies. You guys should compile your own sheet music book!

4 Likes

I managed to record a lesson for it tonight, it’s three separate videos I’ll try to upload tomorrow

3 Likes

Perfect whenever works for you, like I said, no rush!

3 Likes