Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Hard Times

I guess we need to create an emoticon for Mike to be able to post of a crying face with a “thumps up sign”.

In other news Staffan put up lyrics and mixed some of “Times Like These” that I wrote and can’t sing…so check it out…The language barrier takes away from it a bit, but oh well…my wife thought it was %)W(%&(&! :imp:

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.project?projectId=34583

Doh!

I got a chance to listen to “Times…” I like it. I have a love / hate relationship with the bass track. I love the tone and the playing, but it’s so up front, I end up getting my attention drawn to it a bunch when the vocals are going in the verses. Overall, I guess it’s more love than hate… at least it has me actively listening.

I think I agree with Mike. I really liked the bass track until the vocals were added, but it does seem to be a little overpowering now. I guiess that’s the drawback to recording this way. When the tracks are laid down sequentially there aren’t many musical clues about how the song should sound for the early tracks.

I’m ready to learn a new instrumental or Ol’ Timey Fiddlin’ tune…anyone have any suggestions for a new netgrass project that is an instrumental?

These projects are nice as they “make me” learn something new…is kind of like homework.

Larry it has to be your pick by now, I know Big Rig Blues was in there, wanna revive it? Or do you have an instrumental in mind?

I haven’t been playing much guitar since I got the mando. I have been working on basic tunes for the mando (whisky/breakfast, crip crick, black mountain rag, etc.). I am probably gonna do some practice tracks for them at some point, and those could be fleshed out. I saw where Ben is doing Turkey in the Straw. That might be a fun one.

I won’t be doing much for the next week though. I have done or are doing my wife’s and my 2012 income taxes, my mom and dad’s income taxes for 2012, the TN inheritance taxes (nothing to pay, but you still have to document and file everything), my dad’s estate’s income tax (not estate tax, but a whole new wonderful entity), and my mom’s estate’s income tax. Thankfully I live in TX. If I lived in CA, I’d have about 4 more filings to do (and maybe even more for local taxes). I have it whittled down to the only thing remaining is my dad’s estate’s income tax. The related 1041 form is a ridiculously complex torture device that is used to ensure all money is taxed multiple times. I wouldn’t even needed to have done it, but since my Dad died before a small IRA from Mom was rolled over to him, it opens up a nice big can of worms. I love the government. I hope it continues to grow so I can experience such joys in even greater abundance. I propose an amendment to make the income tax deadline day and election to occur on the same day. I doubt it would make any difference in the outcome, but you never know. I know that I would be fired up to cast a vote (or three).

We could do this one, so mikey could take out his frustrations on his mandolin, but after reading his last post I fear he might break it. :mrgreen:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INV5AtLwuvs[/video]

— Begin quote from ____

These projects are nice as they “make me” learn something new…is kind of like homework.

— End quote

I feel the same way. I always push myself a little extra on our projects.

— Begin quote from ____

I haven’t been playing much guitar since I got the mando.

— End quote

I’ve been putting in quite a bit of time on dobro the last couple of weeks. Even played it at a jam for the first time last week. (I was lost most of the time, but I tried.)

Maybe we could work out something with oldhat on guitar, mreiz on mando, ozi on bass, and me on dobro this time.

That’s a great cover!

— Begin quote from ____

Maybe we could work out something with oldhat on guitar, mreiz on mando, ozi on bass, and me on dobro this time.

— End quote

Sounds good to me.

Dead around here, spring have you guys out planting tulips?

Something like that. Taxes, painting, chair rails, yard work, everything breaking… it’s all taking a toll. Speaking of everything breaking, I was driving down the road talking to my wife who was out on a trip. The AC quit working at the house on the same day as the DirectTV receiver started smoking. I told her, “Don’t come home, because everything is breaking.” Within 1 minute of hanging up on that call, I blew a tire, and by the time I had pulled over on the shoulder and stopped, the tire pressure monitoring unit for that wheel was destroyed. Fun times!

I’ve been reading all the posts, I just haven’t had anything worthwile to add. I’ve been woodshedding like crazy with my dobro, though.

Also, I’ve got some of my pickin’ buddies coming over this weekend to attempt a recording session. If all goes well I’ll turn 'em into netgrass members.

Good to see you guys are still alive!

Mike I had the “everything breaking” issue a few years back, I was chasing my tail! Wife threw on the straw that broke the camels back with the “The piece of trim above the garage is loose, it needs fixed”…I lost it, told her to get a ladder and tack it back down"…she said “That’s a mans job”…I then spent around $15K in the next 2 months by subbing out all my “man jobs”…I went to the golf course. Even sold my lawnmower to the neighbor and subbed out my 2 acres of grass cutting! My “man jobs” were done and I didn’t have to touch a thing after that for around 4 years, then we sold the house.

I guess it (everything breaking) happens to most at some point. I am thinking a nice little retirement home where I can get jello with the press of a button is sounding kind of enticing.

Glad to hear it happens to others as well - I thought it was just my private little jinx out here in the bush. Fix the ride-on, car goes, fix that, pump goes, do a new set of blades on a rock, etc etc.
I tried the philosophy that if I didn’t fix the first thing then the next wouldn’t happen but nope, the jobs just stacked up!
I don’t necessarily mind having to do the stuff, just it doesn’t leave time for the important things, like music.

Dunno about the jello though, hope that day is still a ways off. But the 15K solution actually sounds good … just have to find the 15K.

BTW gave Dianne a call yesterday to give her the gee-up and she said she’ll get onto it as soon as she can make time.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

I’ve been woodshedding like crazy with my dobro, though.

— End quote

Hurray for woodshedding! If you are interested, I’ll get West Virginia my Home to you as soon as I get my wifey and my neighbor to put down some vox tracks. I did an intro on the mando, and I was thinking the break would be good split between dobro and either fiddle or mando. There’s room for noodles too. We did it in D. I’m gonna keep hitting up my fiddle playing buddy until he comes over to record just to get me to shut up. I’ll get him to play on something.
I haven’t recorded for a bit, but I am playing some every day. I am having fun with the mando.

I’d be glad to see if I can find anything worthwhile to add to your project, Mike.

I recorded several tracks (for a couple of different projects) for my picking buddies who came over last weekend, but they were put off by the multi-tracking procedure. We enjoyed making live recordings around a single mic, but playing the parts individually with headphones was a little too much for them.

Playing with headphones isn’t easy for everyone. I have known people that it seems just as natural as playing without them. I struggle with it, and it takes me a while to adjust to even play decent. I have the same issues whether recording or playing live with in-ear monitors. I really dislike in-ear monitors, but that seems to be the way things are headed.

How did the single mic stuff work out? Were you all moving around and working the mic position while playing or stationary?

Single mic recording was a learning experience. We were just trying to record some practice tracks for us to work with during the week and we were eventually able to do that, but the recordings were a little rough around the edges.

I finally invested the $25 for a boom mic stand a couple of weeks ago, so that gave us some flexibility in mic placement. It was just 4 of us seated in a tight circle but it took a few tries to get things balanced out. On the first few tries the harmony vocals were drowning out the melody, but by swinging the mic a little toward the lead singer and then leaning in or out as needed, we managed to record a few keepers.

Like everything else musical, I’m sure it will get easier with repetition.