Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Hard Times

Well post them up Larry so we can hear them!

You’d like the song choices, oldhat, (lots of The Band and other jamgrass type stuff), but these recordings aren’t fit for general release. :smiley: Maybe after we smooth out our harmonies a bit.

ah, I’d say you sound just fine.

I tried and tried to record some when with a group, and to tell you the truth the only time we’d sound decent enough was when running through pa’s and such…never could get a good mic placement.

Speaking of “The Band”…I was thumbing through channels the other night for me and momma to cuddle up on the couch and watch a show…low and behold “The Last Waltz” had just started…I told her “sorry but I gotta watch this”…she went to bed. :smiley:

Pretty cool that The Last Waltz was on TV. That is such a great movie. I don’t think I’ve sat through the whole thing in years, but I’ve watched lots of Youtube clips.

Check this 1973 D28 out. Outside of the normal issues of the early 1970’s what do you guys think? have any feedback? The guy selling this has no clue, he is liquidating assets for a bankruptcy case/owns a business that does this. He has said several guys have looked at it but none could come up with the money (lots of starving artist around Nashville trying to hit it big).

I am gonna go look at it tomorrow and check it out. I told him if it needed work then he has an $800 guitar, if it’s in decent shape and is playable then he has an $1800 guitar. I can see that the pick guard has been replaced and a neck reset has been done. He told me he needs to get $1200 out of it in liquidation, so I told him if it is “good” then I am interested at that price. If it needs work that is typical then I will probably offer him $800 cash and take it to a Luthier and dump another $800 on it getting it to an acceptable level.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msd/3738702528.html

It’s hard to tell from the pics, but the finish on the headstock looks a bit odd. Perhaps it’s been refinished. I don’t have an early 70’s D, so that may be normal. Looks like a little crack near the pickguard. The neck work (around the joint) looks a bit unrefined. I bring up these items not to dissuade you, but to give you suggestions of bartering ammo if needed. Long and short of it, I’d play it and if the tone, playability and intonation are good it looks like a great find. Like you said, if the intonation and/or neck angle need attention, it will take some more benjamins to get it right.

I suggest taking a set of strings, some diagonal cutters (dikes), a string winder and a tuner in case the strings are so dead you can’t tell what it sounds like. I have put new strings on guitars that I didn’t buy, and those were some of the best investments I have made. I might even take my all my measuring stuff to check the neck angle and fret wear and such… yep, I’d look like a dweeb, but I guess I am. I might as well embrace it.

Let us know how it goes!

So is Mr. OldHat a proud new owner of a D-28?

Nope, went and checked it out. Needed a fret job and a neck reset that’s $600 basically, so I offered $1000.00. The guitar was “OK” but she just did not “sing to me”. The funniest thing is that the guy called me back 2 days after and said he’d sell it for $1000. I then told him that I wouldn’t as it was nearly an hour drive to go look at it.

I think I could have dumped $1000 into it and had a really nice guitar though!

Another Question:

How are we gonna split up the vocals for Hard TImes? Let’s finish this thing. MIke are you gonna throw down the little guitar intro if not, what were you thinking would be a cool instrument for the intro?

I have not been playing a lot of guitar, with spring here and all I have been busy, however my schedule cleared this week and I picked the guitar back up yesterday and worked out “Arkansas Traveler” which took most of the day. I will now play that dude about 1000 times and add it to my pay list.

Heading to Texas (Brownsville) next week, so I will fill my crawl with guitar this week and am ready to work on something, be it Harmony vocals for Hard Times or a new Netgrass project…should be Larry’s pick this time!

Oldhat

Smart move not to buy it if it didn’t seem like a good fit for you.

I am all for finishing up hard times, unfortunately I have hit a busy stretch. I won’t be able to do much if anything for a few weeks. I might be able to get on something later in the first week of June (after the 5th or so). If anyone wants to throw something in there, have at it. Larry’s got his dobro chops honed, so that might be a fun addition.

So no takers for Hard Times vocals?

Heading into Mexico here shortly, if I make it back I will work on some vocals once I get back to Tennessee…maybe in a week or so. If no takers I will see what I can come up with…I’ve got a 13 year old that sings like a bird, maybe I will get her to throw something down.

Oldhat

Hey Jesse, I look forward to hearing some vocals!

I’m just back from a long weekend at the Florida Folk Festival and I’m ready to mix vocals.

I am gonna try and get my daughter to sing a bit for Hard Times. I do not think she will want to do the entire song, so what are we gonna do with all the verses? I say we divvy it up and put a close to this project. Any takers on any particular verse?

Oldhat

It’s not an ideal key for me, but I’ve got some friends coming over to pick this weekend and I’ve got a great candidate to handle some of vocals. I’ll see if I can get her to sing into the can for us.

Once we got rolling last night, I didn’t want break the flow with a recording session, so I got no vocals recorded. :frowning:

Did you have fun?

Lots-o-fun was had. We had a pretty good mix of instruments: 3 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 fiddles, and 1 dobro between 6 pickers. Banjo player and bass player didn’t make it, though.

I didn’t want to be the buzz-kill the ruined the circle by messing with computer stuff and then demanding everyone get quiet while we recorded. That’s why I have no vox recorded today.

Sounds like a good time. That’s a good group. I just got done with my group tonight for the first time in a month. We were overdue. I’m gonna have to make time for it. We didn’t quite have the same variety of instruments… we had 8 guitars :slight_smile:

8 guitars! I’ve been in a few jams like that. I usually start experimenting with new positions or just playing fills when it gets guitar heavy like that.

[attachment=0]sheet music.jpg[/attachment]

Well, to be honest, it’s a group GTR lesson followed by a jam session. I got out the mando and one friend played a uke once the jam got going, but it was still badly over balanced by GTRs.

Love the sheet music comic!