Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Hard Times

— Begin quote from ____

I was looking for a way to jump in off of Larry’s mando break with something to fill up the dead space between the two…looks like I found it!

— End quote

Forget the dead space - this has possibilities to expand into a whole solo :mrgreen:

I liked where you were going with the guitar, oldhat, but I think you may be on to something with this Droid thing.

[attachment=0]Droid Times Come Again No More.mp3[/attachment]

Haha, that’s funny Larry, great take, great lyrics!

Sorry about being behind on this fella’s - not only have I been busy as all get out, but I had a buzz in my guitar, finally sucked it up and went and got a saddle and spent damn near 2 hours sanding, re-stringing, sanding, sanding, stringing…then I finally got it where I wanted/the sound I wanted…then I recorded it without the droid!

Uploaded guitar break 2 to Kompoz

Nice job Larry. I was literally laughing out loud. That made my day :smiley:

I went and listened to the break Jesse. I am having a hard time hearing the backing tracks in my head, but I like the sound of it. I’m looking forward to hearing it in place. And yes, I agree with your comment, we were working around the melody pretty tight in the first half, so I think you could take the second half further out there with no issues.

Here’s a quick mixdown with oldhat’s break. I like it!

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=251644&projectId=38250

That’s what I figured also Mike, I am one to like Melody following, but once I hear a guitar do the melody line like you did in yours I immediately want to copy it.

I was also thinking about the folks on here that if they listen to my little break they can see an example (outside of Bens) of stringing a few licks together…and adding in a few extra notes “here and there to help it flow”.

Larry just uploaded the mix…think I will go listen…

Droid X - Out

It’s sounding good!

Larry’s 4th mix with my vocals added/looped. Done Verse 1 - Chorus so that we could see what needs instrumental fills/licks.
Dianne is gonna be the singer, only done this for reference so that we could fill it up/start to hear the structure.

Man, we really need a banjer and fiddle on this. Anyone know when our favorite banjo player is coming back on the grid?..we could use him about now!

Also where is TNTAYLOR? If you are lurking dude, then pick a spot and toss in some guitar. Also to other lurkers: We do not have a monopoly on this “netgrass” stuff, it is for everyone, so if you wanna jump in then jump in…is very good for the learning process!

Link to the latest mix:

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=251684&projectId=38250

I added some dobro.

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=251721&projectId=38250

Good stuff Larry, it’s coming together nicely. As mentioned over at Kompoz…good job getting back on the melody with the dobro after my break. I was hoping whoever decided to take the last few measures of the break would make sure they got it back on the melody and you achieved that with perfection.

Oh Dianne! Hey Ozi I know you guys are in the “sticks/BFE” over there in Oz…send out one of those carrier pigeons to let Dianne know that we are ready for her.

I took up a fair amount of space, but if anyone is working on anything that competes with the dobro, don’t worry about it. I’ll just fade that section of dobro back into the mix.

I think we got enough structure for Dianne now, too. Hopefully she’s recovered from her cold.

Gave Dianne a call but hit the answering machine - she may be away for Easter. Will follow up. Music is sounding great!

Gave Dianne a call but hit the answering machine - she may be away for Easter. Will follow up. Music is sounding great!

It appears you called her twice Ozi! :laughing:

Just packed up the Sequoia and waiting on the wife and kids and am off for the 6 hour trek back to Ohio for the holiday in a few minutes…hold down the fort! Me and “the dude” (youngest son) are gonna go outside and wait on these 3 girls to finally decide to get out of the bathroom(s)! :angry:

You guys alive or did all that Easter chocolate make you lazy?

Yep

— Begin quote from ____

It appears you called her twice Ozi!

— End quote

Four times actually, so I should have put up that post a few more times!
Finally got her yesterday - their phone has been out and just came back. Told her everyone now waiting with bated breath (but no pressure as we have the joy of listening to Oldhat in the meantime) so she will extract the digit asap.
BTW, everything ok with Fiddle, he seems to have disappeared down a rabbithole?

Or maybe he is digging another well :laughing:

I haven’t heard from fiddlewood. I suspect he’ll pop back on one of these days. Btw, I like the phrase “extract the digit.” It took me a bit to figure it out, but I feel better from the experience.

— Begin quote from ____

It took me a bit to figure it out, but I feel better from the experience.

— End quote

Most people seem to feel better once they have fingured it out :wink: