Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Hard Times

Haha… I have well trained cats. :laughing:
Actually, after selecting the start of the phrase with the mouse, you can let go of the mouse and use your right hand on the arrow key.

Well, at least you’ve got a definitive diagnosis on your mic, oldhat.

I had the same Tabledit selection frustation as you, and I came up with the same solution as mreiz.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I’ve been meaning to ask you: what are your “normal” options are for dobro tuning?

— End quote

When I first started trying to play, I really didn’t know much about dobro, so I just figured out the notes I wanted to use on a particular recording then tuned so as to line up as many of those notes as I could on a single fret. I never really knew for sure how I was tuned.
After a while, I started tuning in basic bluegrass G tuning, and that’s mostly what I use now. I used C6 tuning on our Lost Highway project, and I’ve messed around with D a little, but I don’t play enough to learn a bunch of alternate tunings. I’ve been practicing Hard Times in G tuning, but capoed at V.

Ordered me the Audio Technica AT2020 usb mic from Amazon today, so you should be getting some tracks as soon as it gets in.

Was $139.00 on Amazon, and I am a prime member so it’s free 3-5 day shipping…most orders typically come in 2 days.

Speaking of Amazon, I ordered 20 sets of the Martin Bluegrass Phosphorus(MSP4250) from Amazon a few weeks ago as there was a sale for like 10 sets for $50.00, so I ordered 2 (20 sets)…Amazon and free shipping is cool and they have to be losing their butt as it took 4 shipments to get me the 20 sets! 2 shipments came the same day! Other two showed up over the next two days!

So for what it is worth, you boys know the strings I live by! Can’t say I have found anything that sounds and play like these do.

I just called Dianne - she has had a major asthma attack and is getting over it. Her voice is coming back but will do something as soon as she is fit enough. Stay tuned…

Thanks for the update, ozi.

Good deal on the mic Jesse. I look forward to hearing it. I am glad to know I am not the only one who stocks up on strings :slight_smile: Now I don’t feel so odd. I stock up on the lifespans when they go on sale. I have a couple guitars that I string with lights, so I have a bunch of the PB in medium and light. In addition, I have found I also like the 80/20s on the D18, so I have a smaller stash of those in medium.

I hope Dianne feels better soon.

I knocked down 8 mature Water Oaks in my yard today (where’s fiddlewood when you need him?). I think I’m gonna be hearing a lot more Husqvarna than Martin this week, so however long Dianne needs to rehab her voice is okay with me.

Larry, What Key is that Husq in? You called them “Water Oaks”. Now I am a northern country boy and I have never heard of them…is that the same as our Pin Oaks up north?

I’m your Lumber Jack now Baby! Guy I hunt on owns 600 acres and is a homesteader, well between my morning hunts and evening hunts I pretty much cut wood for him, he heats his entire house and “sugar shack” (he does maple syrup) that is attached to his house by burning wood. Damn do I cut a lot of wood in the fall! Pretty much grab a big tree with the tractor and drag her down to the homestead and start cutting and splitting…back breaking work…at least he has a log split-er!

Wasn’t sure if water oaks and pin oaks were the same, but google tells me that, while they are similar, and their names are commonly used interchangeably, they are actually different.

Sure is a pretty red oak. I’d love to have it made into lumber, but I’ll probably just save some of it for the fireplace and roll the rest down into the swamp. I knocked 'em down because a big one almost fell on the house Sunday and I didn’t want to wait for the next one to fall. Especially with hurricane season just around the corner.

It was a near miss.
[attachment=2]0010.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]0009.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]0007.jpg[/attachment]

Cool, big trees.

I have the same concern (not hurricane but tornado) here are my sycamore trees in the back yard, if you look close you can even see mommas wind chimes (2 of them). I do most of my “picking out here” on the back patio in the morns with a pot of coffee.

Your wife must be an angel, mine would have had me on the roof cleaning out those gutters 4 months ago. :laughing:

Nice pickin’ area. I like those trees, so I’d be reluctant to remove them if I were you, but they do have some lean, so I understand your concern.

Now that my trees are gone, I’ll probably be able to keep my gutters cleaner. :smiley: Might even be able to get some grass to grow in the backyard, but I lose a lot of the shade that kept my house cool in the summer. As much of a nuisance as the trees were, I still liked them. Kind of bummed out I had to cut them down.

I miss trees like both of you have. I’m not envious of Larry having to clear them out, but man, what nice oaks. When I used to live in KY, I always loved sycamores. You don’t see them in TX. In fact, in many parts of Texas you generally don’t see big trees. It was quite a transition when we moved to Texas. We planted some trees when we got to our current location. They should be about the right size when I am pushing up daisies.

— Begin quote from ____

I’m not envious of Larry having to clear them out

— End quote

I was reminded how out of shape I am today. I only cut wood for half a day, but I’m sore. I’m gonna have to ease into this project.

Boys I am sorry for not getting my tracks up!

Had a buddy that is in the home renovation business give me a call and I helped him for the past 5 days or so working 12 hours a day and it appears he will need help for a few days. With momma out of town on business and me working with my buddy/doing all the kids homework with them (I have three kids) I have been strung out! I leave the house at 7:00 in the morn have been getting home around 8:00 in the eve then do homework and such and I am then worn out and ready for bed.
We are planning on working all weekend also and he is short on labor/help so I will be strung out for a week or so more in trying to help him keep his head above water, so it may be awhile before I actually get the time to record my stuff.

No worries! Or as ozzie would sort of say, “No wookies!” It’s good for you to give him a hand. Be safe while you are doing that.

— Begin quote from ____

We are planning on working all weekend also and he is short on labor/help so I will be strung out for a week or so more in trying to help him keep his head above water, so it may be awhile before I actually get the time to record my stuff.

— End quote

You should have told us a tall tale, like “I was gonna record but I got hired to replace Willie Watson and I’ve been on tour,” or “I was gonna record but I just spent 60 days in the jailhouse for the crime of having no dough.”

Home renovation is kind of boring, but then again all I’m doing lately is cutting up firewood. Don’t work too hard.

Found out that a couple I jammed with last night are technophiles with some experience recording. Seems like they might be interested in joining us sometime. She’s a fiddle player, he’s a guitar player, and they sing pretty good, too. I’m gonna work work on convincing them to jump into one of our projects.

Groovy!

Well I had some time today and I started recording with the head phones on…should I leave this in or not? Not-so-subliminal-messages are to be found if ya listen close enough!

I was looking for a way to jump in off of Larry’s mando break with something to fill up the dead space between the two…looks like I found it!

Droooiiiiid! Hahaha! I can relate. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I got recordings of my dawg, my phone, my breathing.