Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass Collaboration #2

Well, since you already know the song, why don’t you lay down the basic track the way you know it. Just put the breaks where you think they should go. If you give me the bpm, I can set up my mixing software just fine. Then we can let ozicaveman jump in with his bass track.

Fiddlewood:

How come you never finished putting breaks in “How Blue Are You”? I really think that is a good song man, it’s only missing the breaks, maybe you should get some from here to fill that with breaks, I may take a crack at a guitar break on it.

Think we want to have different singers on the verses again?

Jesse, I may have just got caught up in other things and forgot it. If there is an opening feel free to jump in. I will take another look at it also.

I was used to hearing Rider with the lead vocalist changing, but I’m not so sure about this one. I’ve only heard it with one lead. I’d be happy just working on the harmony myself.

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

Mike look up “Bird In A House” by Railroad Earth on youtube and let the bird hear it, probably a fitting song and by one of my more “favorite” bands.

— End quote

I played the Bird In A House CD so much I finally had to retire it. Definitely my favorite RRE production.

OK if anyone wants to volunteer for lead vocal now is the time. Otherwise I’ll do it though I am not really much of a lead singer.

I’m not really much of a harmony singer, so this should be good!

So, how many breaks are we working with?

There is an intro, an outro, and either two or three breaks depending on if I run the first two verses together or not. I haven’t timed anything out yet so I don’t know for positive yet.

Been too hot to play much here lately and I’ve been out climbing/cutting trees in the heat so just drained when I get home. I keep hoping for it to get under 70 at night to help cool the house off. I have to turn off the fan to record and it gets miserable fast. I’m ready for Winter seeing as we skipped the last one.

I am def not singing lead, sure I enjoy singing but I have my own style - think “Neil Young or John Prine”. But I will take a stab at Harmony as I feel it’s something I need to work at.

Other news:

I officially accepted the VP position at a small company and am coming out of retirement so my “Days of laying on my butt and doing what I want to do” are probably over. Now this means any parts that need added may take me a day or so longer as I no longer will be able to record them at 2:00 in the morn if I want but instead will be laying in bed in the fetal position sucking my thumb in preparation of waking up at 6 or 7:00 and joining the rat race - But just think how many high-end Martins I can buy!

Oldhat

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

But just think how many high-end Martins I can buy!

— End quote

That’s why we work.
Well, I guess food clothing and shelter are nice too, but mainly it’s about the toys.

Congrats on the new position. May you find great enjoyment in it.

Congratulations, Jesse (I think). Too bad we have to choose between the dollars to buy guitars and the time to play them. I should have been born independently wealthy.

Oldhat, before you go back to work, do you want to work on When I Paint My Masterpiece? I think we can handle two projects at once.

haha, I could work on that one Larry.

I am already back to work…been there the last two days but only for 5 hrs a day…told them “I want to ease into it”. This time around I am going at it diff, I reminded them that the only problem with me is I can quit any time I want! I just happen to be an absolute expert in what they do and there are not that many of that can say they are "experts’.

At some point I’d like to see walking through the maples recorded also, just one of those personal things. I likewise have a damn good rock ballad I wrote while in the first gulf war/military…so for future reference we’ve got some piddlin’ to do over the life of our involvement here at BanjerBens.

Oh no, I’m too late! You’re already one of the day people.

We ever gonna get a rough track for the song or have we died on the vine?

Might cool off enough later tonight to cut some scratch tracks, I hope. Hasn’t been under 75 in the house for several weeks now and **very **humid. Hard to record with the fan going and quite uncomfortable without it.

hell fiddle I could have laid down the guitar backing track if larry uploads the metronome to kompoz but we’d need to know how to structure the breaks.

Oldhat

Found one in the public domain that had some really good lyrics, then went to Youtube and found this video/version - Could be a good one! Sounds like it has a key change in it also…don’t come across those that often but you can hear hints of the key change coming in the first few verses.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeO7WYa4r28&feature=related[/video]

I agree that’s a nice song, oldhat, but it lists authors. Wouldn’t they hold the copyright?

I think I saw where any song from before 1923 has it’s copyright expired. I can go double check if desired.