Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass Collaboration #2

Let’s take a roll call of who might want to participate in our next recording. We’re still working on song selection. If we get too many pickers for one song, we can run two projects concurrently.

[ul]Roll Call
Ben - fill in on whatever instrument is needed
Larry - engineer, base track, fill in
Dave - bass, fill in
Jesse - fill in
ozicaveman - bass
Ron - guitar
[/ul]

For those that did not follow the other thread here is what the finished “Collaboration #1” ended up sounding like:

(shameless plug)

I am gonna be out of town (playing in a golf tourny) for about a week, I will catch up from time to time on this project and will not have my geeetar with me to record anything…leave a light on for me though!

Oldhat

You all did an awesome job on that. Do I see another BG band coming together? Keep it up. Maybe in a few years (or more) I can add something. Ha Ha

thanks Jack!

It’s just a fun way to pick with others and work on our playing. Every one that played has had to learn something new and use it. The members may change at any time if we get more people who are interested so I wouldn’t consider it a band by any means, jUst friends having fun on the .net.

Just heard the finished product. Very impressive guys. Good Job and Thanks for sharing.

Well, the pickers aren’t exactly lining up to join in, are they? That Ben guy is our only new participant and who knows if he can even play :laughing:

If anyone is on the fence about joining, you don’t need a lot of specialized knowledge or equipment (just a decent microphone) and it really is a great way to learn. You can record as many takes a required before you submit a track, so you don’t need to be perfect.

If you all end up absolutely short of something, I’ll pitch in. Otherwise, I’ll catch a later collaboration. I will be pretty busy at least into the second week of August. I can do guitar, bass (a new-fangled electric type, not like Dave’s cool bass), mixing, and if you are absolutely desperate, mando. I literally haven’t played the mando this year (and I haven’t ever been very skilled at it).

Have one song loaded on kompoz. old ET tune. 3/4 time.

It’s 82f in the house so only did one cut of everything, and a short version of the song to boot 9really wanted to get the fan back on…I’m soaked now). Just enough to give you an idea of what it sounds like.

I’ll lay down some other ideas after it cools off a bit…hitting 100 out here again today.

MIke, we’ll keep you on our reserve list.

I listened to your demo, Dave. If no one else has a burning desire for a different song, I’d be up for doing it. I picked Red Haired Boy and Jesse picked Rider, so I guess it’s your turn anyway.

Is it something like this?

F C F F7 Bb C F F7 Bb C F Dm G7 C F C7

You pretty much have it Larry. I’ve never played the G or C as 7ths but it can be either way I guess. It has another verse also I’ll try and dig up. I normally play it out of D position on guitar (capo 3).

I don’t care about choosing the song, just thought I’d throw out some ideas to see what everyone likes.

Tried cutting an instrumental today too but just too hot…up to 90 in here now, muggy as all get out…I’m soaked just typing this…guess I’ll open the windows now…

Ever consider turning on the air?

Haha, I know you banjer guys are all about so-called “tradition” but man the modern man has only been able to advance to where we are today through “modern tech”.

Shot a smooth 77 today, not bad from the tips and the first time I have touched a club in 9 months…money is to be made starting tomorrow though and I feel good about it!

I will listen to your song fiddlewood and get back with ya.

Oldhat (who really is a golfer that desires to be a musician).

EDIT:

Dave post the link to the song so those others who know nothing of “Kompoz” can find it.

kompoz.com/compose-collabora … ctId=33855

— Begin quote from ____

Well, the pickers aren’t exactly lining up to join in, are they? That Ben guy is our only new participant and who knows if he can even play :laughing:

If anyone is on the fence about joining, you don’t need a lot of specialized knowledge or equipment (just a decent microphone) and it really is a great way to learn. You can record as many takes a required before you submit a track, so you don’t need to be perfect.

— End quote

Great effort, lads. I’ll throw my hat (bass actually) into the ring to help keep the pickers in time :stuck_out_tongue:
Not a double bass, but a UBass which sounds rather like a DB.
Would need a walk-through on how to do the techy stuff though.

Great! The more the merrier!

We helped each other through the last one and are happy to help you be able to participate. The tech stuff takes me longer than the playing sometimes but the other guys are fairly slick at it.

Your welcome to suggest a song or tune to do if you like too. We are still deciding what to record next.

All right, caveman! Our first international project.

— Begin quote from "fiddlewood"

The tech stuff takes me longer than the playing sometimes

— End quote

Yeah, I hate when I get a part worked out, warm up for 15 minutes, get myself all psyched for a good take, and then find out my mic isn’t working. It’s a huge letdown, and after the troubleshooting I have to go through another warm up session to get myself psyched again.

id definitely like to be part of it …i have started working again so my picking time is cut some but ill def try …thanks and let me know …

Congrats on the job, Ron! I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks Mike …so far so good …still kinda miss getting up and pickin straight out of bed in the morning but ill find the team to keep on playin lol

Good deal, Ron. We’re slowly but surely getting our group together.

I’ve been listening to ET’s version of You Won’t Ever Forget Me. It’s really short the way he did it, but he didn’t open with the chorus like you did, Dave. If we started with the chorus, that would stretch the song to over 3 minutes and open up a spot for another break. It would be: Intro-Chorus-Break-Verse-Chorus-Break-Verse-Chorus-Break-Outro. Does that seem okay?

Also, I found this video of the song for reference, though they’re doing it in A.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQtAS83MJM[/video]