Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I'll have to say I love you in a song

I know this is a mostly bluegrass forum, but this is one of the last fingerstyle songs I have filmed, I’ll post some bluegrass soon :grin::grin:
It’s short and pretty, and not too easy, which means it’s good fun

11 Likes

Good one! I used to play alot of Croce. My mom loved that song.

2 Likes

Thanks, my mom likes it too

2 Likes

Thanks…one of my favorites.

2 Likes

good show

1 Like

Thanks y’all!

2 Likes

Great! Looks like a great pinky workout!

2 Likes

Thanks! It is a pinky workout lol.

2 Likes

Nice sound, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Is this your arrangement? Liked the way the melody worked and those little percussive taps.

3 Likes

Thanks y’all!
No, it’s not my arrangement, I got in from licknriff free guitar education YouTube channel

2 Likes

Not a concern that it is not bluegrass to me I am always working on other genres and then seeing what I can bring back from them. Have been doodling around with some Ragtime Progressions myself . Happy playing

6 Likes

@BanjoBen @Shaky_loves_banjo @Simone It means quite a lot when I see obviously the main person and other important contributors like an entry I make. I also guess that this entry should be in one of the practice conversations but hey ho.

I tend to practice myself on Bluegrass, folk and some Southern Rock really was actually playing RagTime by accident at first. It is a fun genre but not one I really listen to. But I was playing around with the Circle of Fifths using Seventh Chords and starting hearing RagTime. Put a Major Chord at the front end and there it was. Now I know I could have looked it up online but for me there is nothing like Doodling around and hearing it. I think for me its the hearing it under my fingertips.

What was rewarding though was finding that I could use a G run on the higher strings that ended with going to Aminor7 Chord then G. So doodling around went from Circle of Fifths, Ragtime to a Folk/Bluegrass piece. Added the short Bminor7 tonight. So got a nice little run and iii ii I going on. So got 4 bars for the Catalogue…

But without a doubt its watching the folks on here that encourage!

Happy Picking

5 Likes

Awesome to hear!

2 Likes

Thats great!! I also love when your doodling and something you recognize suddenly pops at you. such a rewarding feeling. :wink:

2 Likes

@Shaky_loves_banjo @BanjoBen

I think probably for the first time I actually wrote backwards. Over the years have often (Think we all have ) created intros, Choruses , verses that sit in the mental locker (Often for years). But I had never written backwards which broadens my abilities.

Toyed around with G7 went back to D7 then A7 and resolved backwards at C . Playing forwards sounds like Ragtime to me. But where I ended up was far more rewarding.

Guess there is room for E7 in there as well . But that’s for another day.

Could have read about this for weeks or seen it online and would not have had the Eureka moment and that Eureka moment has come from this community!

2 Likes

I’m quite impressed by that. I would love to see you or anyone provide a video of how this is accomplished. I think we could all learn a great deal from it…Anyone?

3 Likes

Not able to do videos but can guess put up an image

1 Like

Doubt if it is very unique but pleased me! I have only ever played Chord Thumping Rhythm but understood chord substitution often using I ii iii I instead of I I I I .

Have only just scanned a very barebones version. Think to my ear it adds a lot of Tension as after any run that hammers on and off an A is begging to go to G but you are dragging it out through 2 minors and then a Partial G (Major) before resolving.

Anyway I like it!

3 Likes

Just played around again and realise that you can add a Partial C at the 5th Fret and then D before the G

1 Like