Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I can't stand it no more

I finally got tired of fighting to get my D-28 to play as well as my Taylor GS Mini. I’ve been pickin on a used Taylor DN-8 for a while at a local shop. They just dropped the price about $500 since it’s been on the wall for a while. Well long story a little longer… I put some cash down on it. I never thought of owning a Taylor until I bought this GS Mini as a travel guitar but I really enjoy the way it plays and sounds. It will be a little while before I can get it paid off but I think it will be worth it. :sunglasses:

Congrats on the new instrument. Taylor makes some nice guitars. The ones I’ve played seemed to have pretty close intonation
and fair playability right out of the factory for the most part.

Are you working on your Martin?

Just curious what the problem might be, as I’ve played good and bad playing instruments of several brands, new and old, for 35 years, and most playability problems could be fixed on any instrument that was structurally solid

Ditto what fiddlewood said. Barring a neck reset or structural issues, there’s no reason a 28 can’t be made to play how you want it with a little work or money. With all that said, congrats on the DN-8! The GS-mini is awesome isn’t it? I have had a hard time NOT getting one. They are addictive.

It has been five days since I ordered the DCPA4 and can not wait til it is in my hands . I am 69 and am almost as bad as a kid at Christmas time. I am sure I will like this Martin as I have played them before and they are a sweet sound it has the sepelle sides and back solid wood and a sitka top . the only thing that is not solid wood is the fret board but I see nothing wrong with black richlite so I took the chance . it is a resin and paper I understand it is really hard stuff. Tree huggers at Martin I guess . Will let all know how it turns out for me good or bad. Music touches the soul.

I agree with fiddlewood and Mike that a D-28 or most any other guitar could be made to play how you want it. The problem that a lot of people have including me is finding a good set up guy. I envy folks who live where there’s a reputable guitar shop close by. I have several nice guitars that play acceptable but I know could be better with an expert set up.

Speaking of Taylors, I’ve owned a 110 and a 610 and both were super easy on the fingers.The flamed maple backed 610 (think it was a '95 model) was truely the best looking guitar I’ve ever had and played like butter. Sold it a couple of years ago to fund a D-18V. Of the guitars in my “herd” at the time it drew the short straw because it just didn’t have the tone for the music I play. Still wish I could get that one back though.

— Begin quote from "welder4"

Only thing that is not solid wood is the fret board but I see nothing wrong with black richlite so I took the chance . it is a resin and paper I understand it is really hard stuff. Tree huggers at Martin I guess .

— End quote

I’m not a tree hugger, but I applaud Martin for making those composite finger boards. Nobody these days wants wood knife handles or rifle stocks, so why are we so wedded to wood finger boards?

Top-grade ebony is rare and non-sustainable. While its nice to have, it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Whatever they are making the fingerboards from in the PA series is great for me. I love the board on my GPC. It’s listed as Richlite as well.
I can’t wait to hear how you like the DCPA4! Congratulations!

Like I said I can’t wait either but am waiting on someone because this is a special deal for me , won’t say any thing further on that but yes it is my only chance at owning a Martin . I have played them and that is the reason I want one . I will say a Taylor 210CE is about the loudest guitar I have ever played . It was striking difference between a 5,000 Gibson because the Taylor had it beat a mile on tone and volume. I do not look for this deal to fall though but if it does the Taylor will be the one for me .

Wow that’s pretty impressive for a Taylor 210. You’re lucky I don’t know where it is I’d be tempted to take it home with me! :mrgreen:

One item we need to clarify, that because one 210 was loud and sounded real good is not to say the next one made would not be any where close to it. the wood and the grain makes a big difference in sound . the guitar sold the next day as I was in the store ready to buy and it was gone . I left and waited for another day , it was cheap also on sale for 800 bucks . they are now on sale for 999.00

The dcpa4-fgklbr549 came in the mail today . I am impressed I guess the old guitar of mine was all I had and never really played a really good one It does impress me very much it is not as loud as I thought it would be but it has a ring to it like Luther, Cash’s guitar man . No big deal but you would think that Martin would have people who paid attention to their job but the only thing I found amiss was the plug in was loose . But a few turns and careful turns because I noticed that the plug was set against black plastic or richlight don’t know but you can break it if not careful. Not enough to complain about . The fit of the top and the sides was what impressed me most the fit is tight and close . The tone is killer for sure . It shines plugged in and the on board tuner is accurate , I tuned it with a Snark and it would not tune the top string right I could hear it was wrong but when I tuned it with the tuner on board it fell right into place. I play with a capo as a lot of my tunes require that and this guitar stays in tune when you use one,. I have played this guitar about all evening and my fingers are tired and sore but you know what I am about ready to play it again LOL

Congrats on the new git welder!

Awesome! Those on-board tuners work really well. As far as the plug being loose, not to defend anyone, but my guess would be it was snug when it left the factory. Mine seemed to work loose from time to time for a bit when it was new. After a couple times tightening, it’s not needed it for a long time. I wonder if the material compresses a bit until it gets a set to it. As far as the loudness goes, I am not saying it will grow into a beast, but it should get a bit louder as time goes by. It’s amazing what a few years of playing does for a guitar. Have fun with it!

The dcpa4-fgklbr549

— End quote

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I didn’t catch that the first time.

Hey congrats on the new guitar!!! I myself am going to be getting a new one as well, not a planned purchase as I love my Collings and we shall never part,LOL but was looking on evil bay the other day and noticed a Taylor DN 5 sitting on the net for 650.00 and it caught my eye because it only had one day to go before closing. So I watched it and the next day it was only up to 725.00 with four hours left so I figured I would just for kicks put in a bid and I did for 900.00. We left went shopping and when I returned had notice I won the auction for 825.00!! I couldn’t believe it! It had a buy it now of 1900.00 on it. So it’s on it’s way from Guitar Galleria in Chat. Tn. and will be here Monday. That has got to be under dealer cost for a new Taylor…
I have been looking around for a Taylor for the RV this summer as I didn’t want to take my Collings all around so I figured a less expensive guitar for practice while we travel. I had been looking at a DN3 at GC for a while and with the coupon it was still 1099.00 and I almost bought it about a week ago, man am I glad I held off. So I ended up with a 2395.00 Taylor a lot of guitar for 825. Solid mahogany on top of it.
Well for once I got a screaming deal on the bay. I think the dealer was shocked to because the other one he had on there closed yesterday for 1525.00. But he honored the auction and I got shipping confirmation. Thought maybe they would back out of it somehow, and I probably wouldn’t blame them.
I’ll let you know how it is when it gets here…Jerry

Hey congrats on the new guitar!!! I myself am going to be getting a new one as well, not a planned purchase as I love my Collings and we shall never part,LOL but was looking on evil bay the other day and noticed a Taylor DN 5 sitting on the net for 650.00 and it caught my eye because it only had one day to go before closing. So I watched it and the next day it was only up to 725.00 with four hours left so I figured I would just for kicks put in a bid and I did for 900.00. We left went shopping and when I returned had notice I won the auction for 825.00!! I couldn’t believe it! It had a buy it now of 1900.00 on it. So it’s on it’s way from Guitar Galleria in Chat. Tn. and will be here Monday. That has got to be under dealer cost for a new Taylor…
I have been looking around for a Taylor for the RV this summer as I didn’t want to take my Collings all around so I figured a less expensive guitar for practice while we travel. I had been looking at a DN3 at GC for a while and with the coupon it was still 1099.00 and I almost bought it about a week ago, man am I glad I held off. So I ended up with a 2395.00 Taylor a lot of guitar for 825. Solid mahogany on top of it.
Well for once I got a screaming deal on the bay. I think the dealer was shocked to because the other one he had on there closed yesterday for 1525.00. But he honored the auction and I got shipping confirmation. Thought maybe they would back out of it somehow, and I probably wouldn’t blame them.
I’ll let you know how it is when it gets here…Jerry

Nice pick up there Jerry. That’s a pretty nice guitar for a “beater.” Maybe you’ll need to get another guitar for the RV so you can protect the new one:)

BTW, I’ll give you $850 for it… instant profit!!!

ya I hear you Mike, let’s see now I had to pay 29.00 shipping so that puts me in the hole 4 bucks!! :mrgreen: I think the fact that it closed on a weekday and in the middle of the afternoon is part of the reason? I watched the other one he had up and if it had stayed low i would have bid on it as well but in the last 1 min it went up almost 600 so it was out for me.
Your right this is not a beater for sure, I really don’t beat any of my stuff but I think this will be a great guitar if it plays like all the others I have tried. heck it comes with a 250.00 case. It was just a fluke a once in a lifetime hit.
I have been wanting a T5 Taylor for a couple of years but so far have not found a screaming deal on one, but I’ll keep trying. My bay handle is 3ftgearhead and if you go to my feedback they already show it there and you can go to view item and see the guitar. Let me know what you think…

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

The dcpa4-fgklbr549

— End quote

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I didn’t catch that the first time.

— End quote

I am Mr. funny for sure . I am enjoying the new Martin . a well made guitar is sweeter than honey .

— Begin quote from "Jerry M"

My bay handle is 3ftgearhead and if you go to my feedback they already show it there and you can go to view item and see the guitar. Let me know what you think…

— End quote

I think I might have to have a user account to find your eBay handle. I don’t have one, so I couldn’t find you. I am sure the guitar is gonna be fantastic. That’s an absolute steal.