Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I can't stand it no more

— Begin quote from "welder4"

I am enjoying the new Martin . a well made guitar is sweeter than honey .

— End quote

That’s awesome. I am glad it’s a great fit for you.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Awesome! Those on-board tuners work really well. As far as the plug being loose, not to defend anyone, but my guess would be it was snug when it left the factory. Mine seemed to work loose from time to time for a bit when it was new. After a couple times tightening, it’s not needed it for a long time. I wonder if the material compresses a bit until it gets a set to it. As far as the loudness goes, I am not saying it will grow into a beast, but it should get a bit louder as time goes by. It’s amazing what a few years of playing does for a guitar. Have fun with it!

— End quote

I have had it for some time now and it really grows on you it is a good built guitar . I have an issue with it though but I think when I change to medium strings it will go away . I have a slight buzz on the good ole B string and I think where it is coming from is the neck adjustment but instead of jumping on that I think I will just change to the med strings and that should take care of it . A little more tension should bring it right in line . Other than that I will have a certified Martin luthier take care of the set up if it does not cure the problem . it is a new guitar and most of the guitars new will need to be set up . I could not ask for a sweeter sound and the playability is out of this world for me .

I am glad you are enjoying it. That sounds like a great guitar. I love that neck shape on the PA series. For me, it’s one of the most comfy and easy to play shapes I have ever tried.

Hey all I got my bargain basement Taylor Dn5 I bought off of ebay for 825 bucks, dealer sent it out and when I opened the case it was gorgeous until I turned it over and noticed bubbles in the finish on the back, micro bubbles like a million?? Anyway was a little bummed but the guitar sounded and played Great!! So I was going to send it back to the dealer in Tn. I called him and no problem getting my refund but he said All the Dn series Taylors he had were the same…Well at this I got on the horn and called Taylor in El Cajon Ca, and talked to customer service, they thought they knew what it was, gassing of the mahogany after it was finished, and if i would send it in it would be repaired and returned to me postage paid. Since the guitar lists for 3198.00 I figure another 65 bucks to ship it off to Taylor was better than just shipping it to the dealer and getting the 825.00 back so away it went.
That was three weeks ago and I just got it back from Taylor two days ago potage paid from UPS and I must say IT’S FANTASTIC!!! They completely refinished the whole guitar and I mean it is perfect…and it plays like a dream. I am totally impressed with this guitar. It played very well with the factory mediums but I changed out to 12/53’s that I use on all my guitars and it is super. They did such a great job, and at no charge all under warranty, Taylor has made a friend in me for sure. This Dread does not have that thin high tone of some I have played either very deep and great bass. Just thought I would let you know how it turned out Mike…Jerry :smiley: :smiley:

That’s awesome! So I’ll up my offer a bit to cover the shipping to Taylor??? :laughing:
Seriously, that’s a steal. How cool is it to get a deal like that??? I am glad you like it. And just think… unless something really bad happens, it’s only gonna sound better as time goes by.
By the way… my wife’s Taylor had no pickguard. I was gonna put a clear one on there, and after talking someone at Taylor, the said their finish doesn’t scratch near as easy as nitro. After almost a year of her playing on it, it looks almost new.

— Begin quote from ____

As far as the plug being loose, not to defend anyone, but my guess would be it was snug when it left the factory. Mine seemed to work loose from time to time for a bit when it was new. After a couple times tightening, it’s not needed it for a long time.

— End quote

I had the same problem with the jack on my Ubass - it is also the strap pin. Tightened but gradually worked loose again. So I put a bit of locktite on the thread and nut inside. Seemed to work fine but then it loosened again.
Finally stoopid here realised :blush: that I could unwind the strap pin from the outside and there was an outside nut under it. Locktite on that and it has never been a problem since.

Hey Mike I ordered up the pick guard from Taylor and put it on today, looks great, I think better than with none. It was only 12 bucks shipped. I was originally going to trade this guitar off since I had so little in it but after having it a couple of weeks it’s going to stay. Wonderful action and the mahogany gives me a little different sound than my Collings.
I had a Dn3 a few years back and it was nice as well, Taylor makes a nice guitar for factory produced. My search is on now for a Martin HD 28 V …can never have too many :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I’m glad it’s staying. I agree, I like the looks of a pickguard on a dreadnaught. They look kind of naked without (except maybe an old Ditson or something). My wife’s Taylor is a GS style (or something similar, I don’t keep up with Taylor’s shapes) and it looks fine without.

I don’t know of an HD-28V available, but I did see a very nice looking 1985 D-28V with pretty Brazilian listed at gruhns for $7k. The pics look good, but there must be some wear on it as it is listed as VG+++. If interested in looking, it is stock number AA8590…
gruhn.com/photo/AA8590.jpg

I too play a gs mini. I love love love my guitar. I have tried so many much more expensive guitars and none that I have played so far hold a candle to my Taylor:)

The GS Mini is about as fun to play as any guitar I have played. It’s a fantastic little guitar.

I have been on the hunt for a smaller body guitar for some time, I have my Collings and Taylor dread’s so wanted a OOO<OO<or OM size. Was in the music store I frequent and a guitar came in from Bourgeois and had only been there for an hour and when they unpacked it I asked to play it, well let me tell you, I have never taken a new guitar out of the case and had a less than 3/32nd action and tone to absolutely die for! I was amazed and bought it on the spot, it is a OMC and has the small cutaway, but the sweetest neck and tone I have ever played. Dana really makes a beautiful guitar! After comparing I think it surpasses my Collings by a bit for workmanship, just as perfect as hands could make it…just thrilled with it! :mrgreen: Jerry

Excellent! Good timing on the Bourgeois. I’m not trying to be needy, but a picture or two would be nice :smiley:

I had my shortest-lived new guitar day ever… I saw a Martin CEO-5 pop up for a good price… reportedly mint. The CEO-5 is a 12 fret, slot head with bearclaw spruce over sapele. I had only played one of those, but I loved it. It had a unique tone with a huge bottom and a warm sound. One of my friends in the guitar group has been kind of looking for a Martin. She was currently playing a Yamaha dread, but at the same time, the 12 fret slope is kind of big. I didn’t want her to feel like she had to get it, but I thought she’d like it. I figured I could make room if it wasn’t a good fit. So I ordered it and it came in about a week later. I inspected it and while it wasn’t mint, it was quite nice (I’d rate it excellent). It had waverlies and everything else appeared original. The sound was much like the first one… just a cool sounding guitar. The action was good, looking at the nut, it looked like someone had done a setup. Everything structurally was great. I called the friend and she came over and immediately took it (for what I paid for it) :frowning:

I wish I had a better picture, but the thing was only here and out of the box for about 30 minutes.
[attachment=0]CEO5.jpg[/attachment]

I agree

I can’t tell you if you’ll end up loving or hating the Taylor, but it should give you a different tone than the D35 and J45. I do hope you end up loving it.

removed

Just want to clear something up. A while back I posted about my purchase of a 314CE Taylor. I am not sure what I was thinking. I did go through the 80’s and may have left a few brain cells back there. Sent the taylor back within the 30 days of purchase. That was two taylor purchases for me. My first and my last. Sounded good plugged in at low volume. Sounded real fake and candy like as soon as you turn it up. I was patient and took it with me to three or four gigs. Just never was going to be good enough for me.

Sorry the 314 didn’t work out for you. It’s better to find out now than months down the road!

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Awesome! Those on-board tuners work really well. As far as the plug being loose, not to defend anyone, but my guess would be it was snug when it left the factory. Mine seemed to work loose from time to time for a bit when it was new. After a couple times tightening, it’s not needed it for a long time. I wonder if the material compresses a bit until it gets a set to it. As far as the loudness goes, I am not saying it will grow into a beast, but it should get a bit louder as time goes by. It’s amazing what a few years of playing does for a guitar. Have fun with it!

— End quote

I don’t think it was ever tightened down good the inside nut was a good 1/4 inch away from the seat and I could not get the plug to play with out tapping it with the palm of the hand but I removed three screws and it comes right out where you can get to it . I tightened it down and it plays all the time now and won’'t drop out . warranties are good but with this one it was either pay postage and or drive 150 miles to get it fixed . I am fairly handy as I used to be a tv repairman and was a repairman for a factory for five years and then I finish my time at Chrysler as a heliarc welder .

Had a similar problem with my Ubass - locktite fixed it without having to overtighten.