Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Favorite Lick or Run?

I like the D lick as it can be broken into smaller pieces. I find the fingering much easier in the second measure moving from the note D to C staying on the second string (maybe as a pull off) and then following your tab from there.

— Begin quote from "TNTaylor414"

Nice Mike! I think I hear a little CDB - Long Haired Country Boy in there.

— End quote

I had to go youtube it to remember the song, but yeah, I can see the common ground. I hadn’t heard that in forever. A blast from the past! :smiley: The one that came up in youtube he was in drop D as well. It’s funny that I heard Led Zep, my wife heard Gangstagrass and you heard CDB. Unless one writes something just off the wall, I guess we are always stealing ideas from what we have heard.

— Begin quote from "drguitar"

I find the fingering much easier in the second measure moving from the note D to C staying on the second string (maybe as a pull off) and then following your tab from there.

— End quote

That works for me too. I can park my pinkie. Yay!

I got that one off of you tube from a Joe Montanan he played Fishers horn pipe and it really impressed me, I paid some one to tab that one out, it is 96 bars long and I about have it mastered today. The repetition about got to me but when you get it down it really feels so good to be able to play that for friends and family . About 180 beats is good . maybe 200 for the more adventurous of us . I do it about 160 and building . Take care and be true to your self with your music . The fingers tend to stumble over each other with this tune.

I recorded a MP2 and I was not allowed to post them on the forum . I wanted you to hear it as it was and it was slowed down so you could follow it . Maybe anothe time another way .

I wonder if mp3 are allowed, but mp2 are blocked. You could try renaming the extension to mp3 and put a big note in the post to rename it?
By the way, I like the C lick. It really sounds good when you let all the individual notes ring kind of like a sustain pedal… for example, in the first full measure hold the F, and then the A until the scales changes back to C at which point you hold the notes for the C chord, etc.

[attachment=0]blue railroad train.mp3[/attachment]

I tried that it is working I think

Good deal welder, it worked for me even without renaming it here. I jut downloaded it and played it. It’s good to hear it as you can hear the syncopation and accents. Thanks!

— Begin quote from "welder4"

Here ios a lick in D that I like real weel for a tag on Blue railroad train.

— End quote

Has been one of my favorite licks for a few years now…took a long time for me to get this down.

One thing I do from time to time to “mix it up” is to replace the last four notes with a triplet walk down 3-2-1 on the E, then hit and open A , then open D.

Not the triplet in it I use, but here is a great version for you guys of blue railroad train. It has the same lick as welders on the end.

it is strange that every one has a different style and it is for sure I never get it just like it is played but it is just me putting me in it that is a great version and you can hear Rice all over it . I am so used to playing from memory or ear using tab has been a new one for me but am getting better at it, Fishers horn pipe I have heard it played so many ways it is about ten tunes in one. Music is a touch into the soul of every one .

My fav lick is the one Tony Rice used in " How Mountain Girls Can Love," right at the end of his guitar solo, which he plays over the "5 chord " just before the dobro picks up the solo at the "4 chord "…He uses this lick quite a lot and its very effective in lots of situations…I hear lots of the new guys like, Cody Kilby, Clay Hess and even Bryan Sutton use this lick…Its well worth learning to use in lots of different places. Anyone else on the forum like this one ??
Vinny

Hi Vinny,

I just listened to Tony’s version of “How Mountain Girls can Love” from YouTube and the riff you speak of is pretty angular sounding. I might be hearing a different version than you speak of. Can you post the riff tabbed out (or standard notation is even better)?

Mike

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

I haven’t picked the best role models, have I?

— End quote

Man who checks them out it is the sound that draws the attention, not their morals or life style I never looked into any ones life but just listened to the music and tried my best to be a player who had his own style, Someone would have to be pretty rotten as a person to have me reject their music . But then I may still listen and learn . Not so much being a role model but the music period . I have been told that I am true to my own self when I play maybe it was a compliment maybe it was a insult who cares,. Garcia was a great music man and I sort of play some tunes as he did . Lonnie Mack may have been a womanizer or what ever I don’t know don’t care but his music was so pure and good that I had to follow him when I was 16 . I know nothing about the Ventures but they along with Chet Atkins sure made me play the way I do today . not to say I am as good as they were heck no and still struggle. Play what you like or love and let the rest go . I still love to do a “Johhny B. Goode” and still do a lot of slow flat picking LOL , let it roll what ever you like do it! At 16 I had a 1959 Gibson Les Paul jr. would have been worth about 6 grand today I do not have it any longer hurt hurt yes. sunburst argggggggggggh!!!

I agree with you, welder. A lot of times I don’t want to know any background info on a musician. I’d just as soon not know if my musical heroes are jerks.

I do have favorite licks and Ben has loaded us down with licks and that is good . A guy named Bashore who toured Europe with known bands for many years was my instructor at one time , he was a very good teacher. What he told me was if you hear a jingle on TV or the radio try to play it and soon you will have a better understanding of music structure . It has helped me very much . what I would say is this when learning a lick from any source try to embellish it or add something to it , if it is just one or two notes you have added something to the lick and that is a good thing most of the time. Be not afraid to experiment ,the old composers did experiment with it all, you may be surprised at what you can do . In the mean time be serious about your learning but also have a ball doing it, enjoy what it is you do. Plink!!!

A thing to note about “Favorite Licks”:

Play them all note for note backwards and you may just end up with another “favorite lick”.

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

Play them all note for note backwards and you may just end up with another “favorite lick”.

— End quote

I’ll have to try that. But if one plays it backwards does one also reconcile with their wife, the prodigal dog comes home, the truck rolls back over fully restored and they get out of jail?

Ben has some nice stuff on the new “Bag-o-Licks in D”. I really like those triplet licks.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

— End quote

I’ll have to try that. But if one plays it backwards does one also reconcile with their wife, the prodigal dog comes home, the truck rolls back over fully restored and they get out of jail?

— End quote

Nope, it just accelerates those things in being memories of the past. But I have heard some messages in bluegrass licks played backwards…one even said “Oldhat this is Beelzebub, you suck at guitar you should consider taking up bowling”.

If you decide to work on your licks “backwards” I strongly suggest you tab them out. It’s really a brain teaser trying to do it on the fly even at like 20 bpm. I do however think that doing it on the fly is a great way to work your noodle.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: