Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Favorite Lick or Run?

This is what I got from that lick:

It’s real close to what you got.

Haha, sweet! The way you have it flows much better with pick strokes. I couldn’t figure out what he was doing after the first pull-off on the third fret G string. I must have watched that part 100 times. The way you have it sounds good.

Thanks for taking the time, drguitar!

Here’s a little ending riff that fits nicely under your fingers…

Key of G major

http://drguitar.opendrive.com/files/MF81NzIzMzM3X2xTeXQ3/End%20riff%202.JPG

And Shawn, the riff Bryan Sutton plays at :26 seconds into the tune is an interesting one… What makes it tough is the two up pick motions in a row on the second and third notes played (crossing strings).

I think the riff is something like this:

http://drguitar.opendrive.com/files/MF81NzIzNDA3XzZ3OXBm/Riff%20Fancy%20bluesy%20G%20riff.JPG

To be clear, the open D string played as the second note in the measure 3 is two eighth notes long.

That Bryan Sutton lick is tasty! Thanks for working it out for us, Doc.

Somewhere in that video (not in the Wild Bill Jones clip) Bryan explains his consecutive upstroke technique. It’s a pretty cool trick that I’ve taken to using here and there.

Since we are talking Sutton licks,here is a lick from his interpretation of Beaumont Rag that I figured out a few weeks ago.

/David

Bryan makes everything look so effortless and sound so smooth. Thanks for posting the Sutton licks. I haven’t tried raking in years. After getting strict alternate picking set into my subconscious, I might need medical attention if I intentionally break it.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

After getting strict alternate picking set into my subconscious, I might need medical attention if I intentionally break it.

— End quote

Ha ha ha ha …

I know exactly what you mean!

Awesome! Thanks for working those out drguitar!

Going to try those out as soon as I shake the rust out of my fingers. Two weeks away from my babies…er… guitars is too long.

Maybe its the nyquil, but I started playing around with the slow bluesy sliding around that Bryan Sutton was doing in Wild Bill, and I somehow ended up in D. Then I ended up in drop D. Then I started noticing how I was playing something that sounded kind of reminiscent of Led Zep’s Black Dog, so in respect to Page, I put an odd time signature in one measure. I have a Grey Dog (Gandalf), so I came up with a name for the following little riff. BTW, I did not set out trying to play “Black Dog”, I just ended up somewhere that reminded me of it. With that said, I did scoot it a bit closer to Black Dog once I heard the similarity. I am thinking of doing a little instrumental around this riff.

Yes, I know it’s a bit different, but I am enjoying it and thought I would pass it along. I am sure Bill Monroe is glaring down at me at the thought of what I have done with a bluegrass instrument. My apologies to anyone who might be offended.

I added a jpg along with the tef. I still need to buy the full version of tabledit and sometimes in the past others couldn’t open my tef files (I am really, truly gonna buy it soon, I just never have my wallet with me at the computer).
[attachment=0]GreyDawg01.jpg[/attachment]

Nice country blues, Mike. I was goofing around with bluegrassing Sympathy For The Devil last night. It’s kind of fun to borrow stuff from other genres.

Thanks, I was having a blast playing with it. You can just kind off vamp of the slides, pulloffs and bends. I wasn’t sure what to call the style, so thanks for letting me know. Country blues… kind of sounds like a style of Wrangler jeans.

Yep, that’s fun to play, once I figured out that little series of sixteenth notes. I kept wanting to play a triplet there.

Glad you enjoyed it. I guess dropping the last note and making a triplet would work just about the same. Whatever makes you happy.
My wife heard me playing it and thought I was trying to work out the theme to “Justified.” They are totally different songs, but they do have a similar something. It got me to thinking, would this convert well to the Dobro?

I bet it would sound good on dobro, so I accept your challenge. :laughing: I don’t tune my dobro to D too often, though, so it will probably take me a while to work it out.

Nice Mike! I think I hear a little CDB - Long Haired Country Boy in there.

[attachment=0]2013-01-27_205710.jpg[/attachment] I don’t know if this will up load or not but this is one of my favorite licks

Here ios a lick in D that I like real weel for a tag on Blue railroad train.

Nice licks. Thanks, welder. Haven’t had time to work on them yet, but I’ll try them out tonight. I really like seeing the stuff you guys are working on… very educational for me.

Those are nice welder. The C lick almost sounds like a classical piece (can’t quite put my finger on what it reminds me of). The D lick is totally different than any I have done and covers a wide range. I’d have to play the D lick a while to get it at any usable speed. Well, that’s pretty much true of everything… I’d have to play that one a bit longer. Thanks for posting.