Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Favorite Lick or Run?

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

First “Amie” from Pure Prairie Leaque: Is a nice intro and then a nice lead break around 2:00 minutes.

— End quote

I think “Amie” is a perfect choice for a grass conversion. I think banjo would add a nice sound and the chorus harmonies sound like a perfect fit. Good choice!

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

It isn’t nearly so intuitive as Guitar Pro, or even some of the free tab editors.

— End quote

Hey Larry,
Your response got me thinking about tab software. I didn’t want to hijack this thread, so I made a new one. If you don’t mind, I’d like to get your thoughts on various apps. Here’s the new topic:
https://banjoebenclark.com/forum/t/tablature-software/133/1
Thanks,

Hey I was a “sweat rocker” myself…can I get a “hell yeah”! I am presuming that you, me, Larry, Ben, TnT Taylor, and a few others are pretty much in the same age group - mid 30’s - Late 40’s…well to me there is no way you played guitar and didn’t dabble in either in Hard Rock or Sweat Rock.

— End quote

I remember I paid a whopping $345 for my shiny Black 1974 Custom Telecaster because I wanted to be Keith Richards, then spent most of the 80’s wanting to be Jerry Garcia, didn’t play too much in the 90’s, and now I want to be Tony Rice.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

…I wanted to be Keith Richards, then spent most of the 80’s wanting to be Jerry Garcia, didn’t play too much in the 90’s, and now I want to be Tony Rice.

— End quote

Man good to see you got off the drugs and are clean and sober!

I haven’t picked the best role models, have I?

I’d have to say my favorite lick is also my most hated because I can almost never pull it off cleanly: t. Rices’ intro riff to “Old Train”.

don’t know why it seems so difficult for me, it just is…

Good stuff, Dave. I went to check out the Old Train intro on Youtube and found that someone over there had it all tabbed out, so I loaded it into TablEdit. Seems like it’s reasonably accurate.
[attachment=1]Old-Train-intro.jpg[/attachment]

That’s it Larry. Note for note what I play, I just never could seem to ever pull it off clean at speed back when I was flat picking

I thought it sounded pretty close. That’s a lot of eighth notes in a row without much break - not even many pull offs.

I’ll add it to my collection of tabs I need to learn someday.

That’s a great intro. Thanks for pointing it out. I listened to the recorded version of Old Train on youTube… I thought “Hmmm, it doesn’t sound too terribly fast.” Tony is so slick he makes it sound easy. I used the tap metro and I think it was like 240 or 250 (way more than I expected). A live version on youtube was really cooking. I didn’t tap it out, but I’d guess another 30 or 40 BPM. Maybe some day…

Yup, it’s a quick-un.

Here is a slightly different way to get through measures 7&8 from a tab that came from a Bluegrass School in Texas. (the tab I learned it from)

I’m trying my best not to learn this one right now, but you keep tempting me. I"m already working on four different tabs, simultaneously. I don’t need another one right now, but I’m easily distracted by shiny objects.

I can relate to that! With me right now it’s having to many ways to accomplish the same thing and trying to pick the way I want. It’s tough for a guy with little or no taste…

Here is an End riff I am working up to speed…

— Begin quote from "drguitar"

Here is an End riff I am working up to speed…

— End quote

All those open strings make that kind of fun to play. Bet it sounds pretty good when it’s up to speed.

Great lick to learn! Each four notes, measure or pair of measures is usable when building breaks too.

Thanks Mike,

Hey I was a “sweat rocker” myself…can I get a “hell yeah”! I am presuming that you, me, Larry, Ben, TnT Taylor, and a few others are pretty much in the same age group - mid 30’s - Late 40’s…well to me there is no way you played guitar and didn’t dabble in either in Hard Rock or Sweat Rock.

Well then since Ben is the resource for most of our favorite licks then let’s talk about an older Classsic Rock Song or “Outlaw” Country song then that you may feel fun to play and can get by with it in a “folk” or bluegrass setting?

— End quote

Reading back over this thread and must have missed this. I’ve played all kinds of music from southern rock to metal (metallica, pantera) to Tommy Emmanuel before coming over to Bluegrass. Can’t believe I wasted so much time on that other stuff.

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for but I found an old Gene Watson song “14 Carat Mind” that these guys knock out of the park, bluegrass style. Turn it up!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jVvyNty6SPo[/video]

That sounds damn good TNT! Something about how “fun” bluegrass music can sound or feel, even though the song may not necessarily have the like minded lyrics.

Oldhat

Thought I’d share a lick I heard Harley Allen play on Wildwood Flower Blues in the place of a regular G lick. First time I heard this i had to learn it.

It’s a bit tricky with the upstroke pull-offs mixed with the crossing of the strings but I’ve always loved the sound of it.

I’m “borrowing” this sweet lick that he plays at :15 - :19 in this tune. And what’s up with what he plays at about :26 - :30, is that even possible? :smiley: Then he digs in on that G chord, man that guitar is a monster!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=R_82r11CsVM&NR=1[/video]

Edit: I took a stab at the tab at :15 - :19 in the video. If anyone wants to correct it, please do.