Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Easter Song

Amen @jmonickaraj1.

Did you hear that demo… on the song. Great voice!

4 Likes

Yes I just did, @WillCoop. Yes she has, great voice!

Looking forward to a version coming from our @Michael_Mark too!

3 Likes

Are you going to give it a try @Michael_Mark or let @Grace handle the voice.

@Grace, could you understand the idea of how I wrote it this way?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ll have time to record anytime soon, but maybe I could do it in church once everything gets back to normal (assuming it will)…

3 Likes

After hearing it several times, I can see how it could work on 4/4 too… Once @Grace got the timing down.

Also… on the last two lines doing 2 beats of C Maj and 2 beats of C# Dim singing E,C,E, leading into the 7th measure G Major sounds cool.

2 Likes

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had to help my dad with working on our fence. I’ll try to work on it more tomorrow. Could you, WillCoop, or Michael_Mark, record you playing through it? I think that may help me figure it out. It’s a lot easier when I can hear it than see it.

4 Likes

I want to extend my thanks to @grace and @Michael_Mark for all your help today on this. It is rather exciting for me to hear it “come to life”. :pray::grinning:

Thanks for your encouragement too @jmonickaraj1

It is the 1st song I wrote in this style.

@Grace, if singing the notes I wrote in G is too high or low, I can restructure the song into the key of C for you… only 1/2 step higher than your earlier demo.

Just let me know. I am taking a break for tonight.

4 Likes

@Grace

First off, don’t embarrassed about nothin’, girl! This phrase was yours, the melody was built from your demo and I thank you.

Do you understand how to Capo on the 3rd fret as @Michael_Mark explained?

If that is too confusing, do you know these chords in standard Guitar position? G,C,D,Am and if you can learn C# dim (which has these notes C#, E, G) for transition out of measure 6 into measure 7 (where E, C#, E is sung to these words: A Com - ing… then, sing D note for the word ‘Day’ (see below)

Please try to settle in on these words… but if you have suggestions, please feel free…

The Day Death Died

God sent His Son to redeem us all
His message shared to testify
Of God’s great Love, a Clarion Call
A coming day when Death would die!

Solo 1: Banjo

Our Lord walked on to Calvary
A spotless lamb for you and I
A blood-stained cross, our Victory
Jesus met Death and Death did die!

Solo 2: Guitar

Three days had passed, the King did Rise
An empty tomb for the world to see
God’s Grace bestowed, our precious prize
Now Death is dead for eternity

Solo 3: Mandolin

Through troubled times we need not grieve;
Through faith alone to justify,
Salvation claimed when we believe

Caboose

3 Likes

Ok. I think I understand about the capo and position. I do know the standard Guitar position chords. I think my main struggle is trying to keep the timing 3/4 instead of 4/4.

So I should try to keep the same melody I sung in my video? Just play the chords G, C, D, Am or capo on 3rd fret E position with 3/4 timing?

2 Likes

Also, thanks for involving me in the song! I know it was built from my phrase, but its your words. And I’m no musical genius… So thank you!

3 Likes

That right…

For the phrasing of 3… Listen to the other song @Michael_Mark posted.

Once you get it, the lyrics will fit right into that pattern.

I would think IF you can sing/play those chords, forget about the capo… but that is me.

3 Likes

My honor @Grace!

I did take your melody… and built it into the chords.

3 Likes

You can play piano, yes?

I ask because I want to see if you can understand my notation for the melody…

I could Manuscript it but that would take time.

I will be honest with you @Grace … After hearing your version, I am starting to “feel” how you played it in 4/4.

I think it could work that way too… even though I had wrote it with 3/4 in mind.

3 Likes

I can play a very minimal amount on piano.
Right now I’m trying to practice it in a 3/4 timing to see which one we like better. I’ll try it again in 4/4 time with the capo on third fret E position, then maybe I can see how it goes without the capo in 4/4 timing. But if you would prefer 3/4 I can work on that and see if I can do it. Again though, I’m very beginner in guitar, feel free to tell me when I do it wrong.

3 Likes

There isn’t a wrong @Grace…As we are writing.

I did consider to put together a simple rhythm Mando track - just to give an idea… And I do NOT sing :wink:

So… Maybe I will later… But I tell you honestly, I really like your unique approach so I want to see what you can come up with.

One more thing I mentioned last night… your demo seemed to suit your voice but the key of B as a challenge.

Changing to G might make it hard for you to sing the melody as you had it… but fear not, we can also move it to the key of C quite easily… and that is only 1/2 step higher.

So… Fear not! We will find a way!

I asked about the piano because maybe you can try to play the melody notes on piano to get an idea of the notes to sing as I wrote them?

I did that as I wrote the chords last night… used the piano first, then tried to play the rhythm on my Mandolin.

3 Likes

WillCoop,

Here’s 4/4 timing in G, C, D. I wasn’t sure where to play the Am.
G------------------------------C
God sent His Son to redeem us all
---------------G----------D
His message shared to testify
---------------G----------------C
Of God’s great Love, a Clarion Call
-----------G—D------------------G
A coming day when Death would die!

hope this helps you see where I’m at and where you want it to go…

4 Likes

You would have laughed at many of my clunkers as I was reshaping the melody and chords… Lol.

No wonder the dog didn’t howl!

I had thought of a traditional Bluegrass syle but you have a cool indie-songwriter style to your voice @Grace

I think the mix could work very nicely.

3 Likes

It does work in G… and hopefully, you like the key for your voice @Grace.

I think the 4/4 time can work… but the timing is slightly off…

3 Likes

The key works fine for my voice. I’m still trying to practice a 3/4 strum pattern, but every time I do 3/4 pattern, I think I’m ending up playing the 4/4 again.

2 Likes

I fixed it to Emin

3 Likes