Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- G Chord

HA! I’ve wondered the same thing about my efforts. :slight_smile:
I’m really looking forward to the Waypoints in D lesson, followed by a lesson that shows us how they’re all tied in together.

5 Likes

Keep reminding me of this!

2 Likes

Maybe your fancy new scheduler/planner could remind you of it…hehehe

3 Likes

Jumped up above my comfort level and tried to work my way through this exercise…and I’m so glad I did! Can’t say I’ve mastered it, but its opening up my head a little more and allowing me to recognize some some patterns where once only mysteries existed. I can tell this needs to be a regular stop on my practice tour. Thanks for this awesome lesson!

4 Likes

Now, I know you didn’t just do that, Dave!

Remember what Dalton said in Roadhouse… "Be NICE! " :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Only been playing banjo(left handed) for about 6 months and learned a dozen songs. Not great but I thought I was progressing ok for a short time…until i found Banjo Ben videos. I feel like I just took my training wheels off my bike and really enjoy learning from these videos. This is great. Thanks !

7 Likes

Woohoo!!!

2 Likes

welcome Barry to @BanjoBen 's Forum It’s great to hear you are making progress. I just want to say as a Lifetime Goldpick Member I highly recommend you consider upgrading your membership. Ben is a fantastic teacher and I consider my membership to be the best investment I ever made.

2 Likes

Howdy @barryr123456,

Glad to have you with us… With or without “Training wheels”… it is good to see you here.

Please visit and post to the forum often! :+1: and CONGRATS! :facepunch:

2 Likes

Thanks ! I would love to be a Gold Pick Member…but not right now. I was a carpenter but I am disabled and started working parttime for local school 2 weeks before they shut it down for the Coronavirus. I definetely will purchase more videos eventually. But for now I am working on the waypoints and the neck. ANd plan on crawling through "Jesus loves me " 1000 times until i can play it somewhat decent. Ben is a pilot? Uh oh… remember John Denver

4 Likes

Well, whatever you do here… You will get your monies :moneybag: worth. I joined as a life member a few years ago after I got my Banjo, which died yesterday, by the way… as I was practicing to make my entry in the contest, to win a new Banjo, ironically.

My family got me a Mandolin from @BanjoBen’s store so I enjoy playing that… and hope to get a new Banjo when I start my new job upon returning to work (scheduled at the end of May).

Use this forum whenever you can because there are good and friendly folks here… a value beyond price.

Glad to have you sir…

4 Likes

I loved this lesson so much I decided to share some of my results. Thanks @BanjoBen

8 Likes

I love it, thank you!

3 Likes

Hey Frank is that @BanjoBen dancin on your peghead ?
Cool…

2 Likes

So, I’m kind of skipping learning the last arrangement on this. Instead, I’m just trying to use the concepts on backing tracks. I may come back but I think learning the lick arrangement by rote isn’t as valuable as just trying to incorporate the ideas, even just the basic stuff. Any thoughts?

I like how you’re thinking, yes. However, the lick arrangement is actually an exercise for you to learn the fretboard. It’s a way to know where to put your fingers while playing something that sounds like music. If you can take the principles away from the lesson, you’re fine to do so without learning the exercise.

3 Likes

Started working on this yesterday. Great lesson. Can’t wait to add licks then move on the C. Will there be more way point lessons?

Waypoints with scale

2 Likes

Yep! And don’t forget this one too: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/backup-chord-drills-learn-the-neck-banjo

2 Likes

So at the very end of measure 22, you have to switch from fretting that 1st string with the index to fretting the 1st string 12th fret on 23 with the middle. I’m always fretting that one fat and i kind of unintentionally mute it, and thats at slow speed. Any tips to conquer that one?

1 Like

Hi @ambergkeith Keith. Not sure where you see @BanjoBen " fretting that 1st string with the index - very end of measure 22, " What I see is Ben fret the 1st string with his ring finger then slide up to the 12 fret.

We all mute strings from time to time. Watch your fingering and try to determine the reason you end up muting a string. Often it’s caused by a wrist angle - adjust until you can play it clean. Don’t practice sloppy hand positions. Always look for the cause

2 Likes