Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- G Chord

Sorry, yes, ring. But then he switches to middle. It’s a very fast switch though at full tempo.

1 Like

So I watched the preview and I see him switch to using his middle finger on the first sting and index on the 2nd string to play a bar chord. This is classic Scruggs style fingering it allows you to move the index up and down on the second string and gives you the freedom to use the ring and pinky to fret other notes. If you use the cog wheel to slow down the preview you’ll see how @BanjoBen glides through these positions. It looks difficult at full tempo but in reality once you know where to place your fingers you’ll do this on autopilot.

Best way to practice this is to break it into small sections. Work on it until you feel comfortable then move to the next section. Also LISTEN and try to make musical sense of what you are practicing. Hope this helps

1 Like

@ambergkeith

I typically fret that first position with ring on the 1st string, and when going to the next position at the 12th fret I’ll often keep my ring on that 1st string and just slide up.

2 Likes