Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- G Chord

Great question. Typically the top positions are jumped to without hitting the scale notes in between, but I wrote the scale notes in so that you connect the patterns and begin to see the scale notes on the neck, plus it’s great physical practice for licks that are ahead.

1 Like

Even as it is an exercise - tying the SCALE to the WAYPOINTS - Oh Bach of the Banjer - I like the sounds of the walking also… especially if - for example, in a bluesy way… to muddy up the walk with bends and flat 3rd notes… would sound so cool.

OK… so I’m on the right track… meaning… I can make that leap of understanding how structuring the scale de-mystifies the whole Waypoint positions (which is soooo cool)… but even so, I am always thinking about how to APPLY in new ways. :smirk:

I should just hunker down and learn the lesson for learning’s sake instead of jumping to evolving what I’ve not yet mastered. I’m just fascinated the way that Banjo plays with the noted patterns - in 3s and 2s… over measures… in an arpeggiated way.

My hope is that thinking to evolve these patterns and ideas is really aimed at getting to a deeper understanding of the instrument.

2 Likes

Thanks Archie. I’ll try that.

1 Like

Thanks Ben. Great site!

1 Like

Definitely! The best way to apply any new banjo knowledge is to train your hands to do it without thinking about it. Once you achieve that, you’ll have an easier time hearing where these licks fit in songs you’re playing.

Keep at it!

2 Likes

Hey Archie, that 's for the great tip. What a great tool. I’ve been using it all weekend.

1 Like

Ben, this TEF file is great. I just “discovered” it thanks to you and Archie. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

@BanjoBen at 3:40 of the Add the Licks lesson when you are explaining measure 23 it looks like after playing the first string fretted at 12 you follow it up with a hammer on the second string from 11 -> 12 instead of a slide as in the PDF. Am I mistaken or maybe missing something?

1 Like

Perhaps I did, but know that either will be fine and I use both equally. Thanks!

1 Like

Sometimes I feel like the last cow in the herd. I’m like Bill Murray and Banjo Ben is Sargeant Hulka. Anyway, you know what goes great with an exercise like this? An authentic Banjo Ben banjo mute.

2 Likes

Boy what a fantastic game changing lesson Ben. This takes me back to starting the banjo really after I came to visit you. Boil Em Cabage Down was the lesson that helped me take off and get started but this one puts so much in perspective. Thanks so much for what you do. Peace from Canada and I’ll throw in a big “A” for you.

Darcy

3 Likes

When I click on the TAB or TEF links, I get an XML error. It doesn’t appear to open.

1 Like

Hi Brian, How are you accessing the lesson PC, Mac, Tablet or IPhone ?
What web browser are you using ?

I just tried it on my PC using IE and I don’t receive any errors ?

PC - Chrome.

1 Like

Hi Brian. Ok I just tried it with PC & Chrome again no errors. You could maybe try clearing out you cache. rebooting and trying again.

I get that from time to time when I’ve stayed on a page too long. Try to refresh the page and see if it helps.

1 Like

Thanks. That was it. I’ve had the website up and connected for a couple of day while I practice and work through it.

2 Likes

Ben, I just wanted to thank you for the waypoints. Yesterday I was practicing and decided to play along with Earl and Lester. So I put my headphones and started vamping to get the chords figured out , once I got it, I started flying all over up the neck. I couldn’t believe it. I felt like a banjo player. It wasn’t clean because the song was super fast but I was all over the neck. NOT just stuck in one place for the 1, 4 and 5 chord but jumping every measure or so to different G, C and D positions. I don’t think that would have been possible without your waypoints lessons. I believe those waypoints are burned in my brain so I didn’t have to really think, just concentrate on the chords. I was walking on cloud 9 because of you and still am. If it wasn’t for church and another christmas get together i’d be in their now doin Ben’s waypoints. I still don’t understand the reasoning of the notes or triads but I can do waypoints. I might become a banjo player yet. THANKS again Ben, I really appreciate all you do for us.

4 Likes

Wow, man! What uplifting feedback! I’m confident that the methods I devise will work if folks will follow the directives, and it’s great to have that affirmed!

1 Like

This is so great. Looked like total “vast wilderness” when i started and made it all the way to the licks part in one sitting. What the hell have i been practicing the last 16 years???

4 Likes