Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- G Chord

I think biggest hurdle is self confidence. choking at jams!!! And maybe trying to learn to much at once. Have a professional teacher and Banjo Ben, Scruggs songs in book, Tom Adams,Scruggs licks and trying to learn breaks for different songs. Trying to learn it all. Not for sure what my problem is. Just getting at my whits end.

1 Like

Applying a capo makes no difference. The chord locations remain the same.

Yep, you get used to where these positions lie with the capo, and it takes practice playing there. Capo at 2nd, move down 2 is the right way to think about it.

I bet I can help you. I have had that choking problem, too. Perhaps you can start a new thread in the banjo category and I’ll elaborate there.

1 Like

I suppose if your working from multiple learning sources things can get a little overwhelming at times. Personally I work from multiple self teaching resources and have done so since day one. But I tend to work from between one and three projects at any given time. I work through the projects over the course of a week switching between each one to help me stay focused spending too much time on any one project can become frustrating. It’s also important to take rest days.

I think that would make an excellent topic @BanjoBen. I read so many thread over on the BHO where folks experienced this

Started a new thread. THANKS BEN

1 Like

I have been playing banjo for 7 years now and have had the same ups and downs you describe. I believe this “Waypoints” lesson has changed the way I play tremendously. I think a person should pay alot of attention to this lesson and the upcoming ones as I believe it will open up “freestyle” playing and get you to where your not just hoping for a clean break at jam sessions.

3 Likes

Right there with you. I think what amazes me the most about this lesson is it’s simplicity. The waypoints are just the 1st and 2nd strings of the G chord in various positions up the neck. I didn’t even have my banjo in my lap the first time I watched the 1st video of this lesson, but I instantly knew what Ben was doing. For some reason, though, this lesson opened up those chord positions in a way that my brain wasn’t putting together. I play several songs that use the waypoints exactly as Ben teaches them, but they were never connected with their respective chords in my mind. Watching this lesson, I was like “DOH! How did I NOT know that?!”

One of my favorite experiences in life is the “AHA!” moment, that moment that takes all of the puzzle pieces scattered about and puts them together for you. Those moments are extremely rare, and this lesson is definitely one of them.

3 Likes

Hi Ben. I have been tinkering with the scales and licks for some time. Allways got tired and started playing songs vs. Sticking with it. After a hard day at work i just wanted to play…now that you have spoon fed us this exercise it will help tremendously. Please keep feeding off of this lesson into deeper avenues and other keys!!!

Thanks

2 Likes

That’s the plan, thanks!

1 Like

I’m working through the Practicing the G positions up the neck. I notice that when I get to the two highest G’s it sounds better if I fret the drone string. With the G position at fret 17 I can use middle finger to fret at 17 which as you all know is a G. Then at G position at fret 21 I can reach over with my thumb and fret the 17. Raising that G note seems to help the sound IMHO. I’ve known you can fret the drone string for a long time. Do it in little maggie.

What your thoughts? Seems easily legit but don’t want the head master to hit my hand with the ruler.

The traditional licks up there have an open 5th string. Yes, you can fret the 5th, and I do at times especially when playing backup licks. It does somewhat concern me that it sounds better to you, because that makes me wonder if something is up with your banjo’s intonation.

Intonation is spot on. Checked it. All my G’s are spot on. Must be these old ears! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This stuff is awesome whether I’m applying it now or not. I was worried about not having a teacher and mentor anywhere close to where I live. Not now cause I have a teacher and mentor and he responds even on the most trivial newbie stuff. Thanx a ton BBC for making all this available to us!

4 Likes

Only started this course today and its already helped . I played my rendition of ill fly away for my wife, going up the neck using the way points and she was amazed . Bens sisters were right in refering me to this site. Many thanks to them and Banjo Ben.

3 Likes

Great lesson. I am having a problem with timing. I can follow along to the slow video of going up the neck, but I lose track when I try to play along to the 140BPM audio. How do I know I’m doing it right with those track without another banjo playing it in the background d?

1 Like

Hi Ernest, The best way to build speed is to get TablEdit or the free TefView and download the .tef files. With TablEdit you can set the speed to where you are comfortable then build speed gradually. It’s like learning to walk you gotta pick yourself up a few times before your ready to run with the wind. Patience, Practice and Perseverance. Give it time you’ll get there

Yep, try the .tef files for sure, or record video of you trying play and post in the VideoSwap category.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

I don’t know if this is going to be clear… so I will try to articulate it and hope you understand. This Waypoint lesson… I have worked on this scale part slow - by memory. I understand the need to switch up on the note when you are bridging from 5-8 (3 notes E, F#, G) versus the notes walking the interval from 1-3 (2 notes, G, A) and 3-5 (2 notes B, C) waypoints. It has to be that way… in that you repeat the notes when there are 2-note walks… but you move to the next note for the walk of 3 notes. This is how it must work for rhythm… and I get all that.

However, the foundation of my question… does this same concept spill over into how to approach transitions up the neck too? Most often, I see that the jumps are more quick jump position moves… but I just thought I’d get your comments.

Hopefully, if nothing else, is it evident I’m really STUDYING the patterns too? Maybe more than I need to - but it fascinates me.

One final note, I think my very fav part is when you bend into the last note. I smile every time - just like a kid who’s seen the same movie over and over - and laughs each and every time!

1 Like