Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

D'Addario XS Guitar Strings

So I’ve never liked any strings but EJ17’s, for the past five years since I started playing bluegrass guitar. I dislike everything different that I’ve tried - nothing else sparkles and snaps like regular phosphor bronze mediums. And coated strings of any kind are just untouchable :confounded::-1:

But @Luke_L bought me a set of these D’Addario XS mediums at IBMA, and I just LOVE them!!! They have a very thin, light coating, but it is practically invisible. They feel SO good under my fingers - slippery smooth and glossy, even after many hours of being played with sweaty fingers. And they’re loud and bright just like the standard mediums. It’s been a week now, 3 stage shows and lots of practice & rehearsals later, and these strings haven’t died. (And I haven’t even snapped them. :slightly_smiling_face:) They’re well worth the price of $17.99. I think these are going to be my new favorite strings!

Has anybody else tried these?

https://a.co/d/enDQd26

10 Likes

Cool! I’ve tried the XS, but on mandolin. They didn’t last me really any longer than uncoated strings. I know @CalebEllis likes em. Haven’t tried them on guitar, though I have tried the XTs, same deal. I think the XSs are actually supposed to have a thicker coating than the XTs. For me though, I have enough Elixirs to last me through the stringpocalypse. :ok_hand:

HEY!!!

https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/guitar-strings/products/daddario-xsapb1356-xs-series-acoustic-phosphor-bronze-medium-13-56

:joy:

4 Likes

XS coating is 10 times thinner than a human hair according to the write up. I don’t like the feeling of coating on strings but this is hardly noticeable and feels better than none.

2 Likes

Oops I didn’t even think to look if Banjo Ben sold them. Do you use them personally @BanjoBen?

I’m looking around everywhere for a 25 pack. All I can find is a 25 pack of lights. That’s another reason why I have always liked nothing but the EJ17’s, the bulk pack option.

3 Likes

Are you part of the rewards program?

The Players Circle? Yes but I don’t have many points, I think like 5700?

3 Likes

Adam introduced me to XS banjo strings a couple of years ago. They’re my goto now. The lights are perfect for my Twanger. I think they might be a bit too thin for my Deering. I’m gonna buy a set of mediums at camp and see if they perform better.

2 Likes

Oh cool look I found this other site that carries them for the same price as Amazon and it’s a company that has morals: https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/strings/products/daddario-xsapb1356-xs-series-acoustic-phosphor-bronze-medium-13-56

:joy::joy::joy:

I haven’t. I’m digging either the Martin Tony strings or the Santa Cruz

If you give us a call at the store we’ll set you up with discount bulk pricing on some strings.

10 Likes

Hey, while I’m thinking about it. If y’all find a string deal out there that’s really great, let us know at the store. We will do our best to match. Y’all folks on the forum are my MVPs and I want to take care of you and help you in your pickin’ journey, so let me know how I can do that better.

11 Likes

Wow thanks. I definitely want some more XS’s but not sure how many I want to purchase yet. I’ll give you guys a call once I decide.

5 Likes

I’ve been using the Elixer Nanoweb strings for a while now and really like them. They last long and hold there tone. They work well for me…

6 Likes

I don’t think I have tried the XS’s, but will do so. @Flatpickin_Libby, if you haven’t tried them previously, I suggest trying a set of the Martin LifeSpan strings. If you like EJ17s, the LifefSpan PBs are pretty similar and have no feel of a thick coating. If you like them, Ben should be able to get you a bulk pack. The models changed a couple years ago, but before that I used only them for years. They seemed to last three or four times longer than untreated strings. I’ve been digging the monels (like the Tony Rice models Ben mentioned) for a few years (they have a more fundamental tone, slightly looser feel and last a long time). I still used the treated strings on my plug in guitar.

4 Likes

@BanjoBen have you seen anything about Straight Up Strings from Roger Sminoff. I hear about them as a sponsor in a podcast I listen to weekly do they got my attention.

1 Like

I’ve heard of them but haven’t used them!

2 Likes

@Stuart.Gamble
I’ve been wanting to try those myself. Nobody stocks them, seems like have to order from straight up. Spoke with CJ Lewandowski (mandolin player) of the Po Ramblin Boys last year & those are the strings he was running at the time. I realize there’s a bunch of factors involved, but his mando had killer tone. Never did get around to trying them though… Perhaps one of these days… I’ll comment back if/ when I do - you (&anyone else) plz do the same…

3 Likes

I currently use XS’s on mandolin ( still waiting to get home so I can try my flattops!)
Also, my brother Ben uses the XS Guitar strings OVER Elixirs on his guitar now.

We both love them!

3 Likes

Just one problem with these strings, after using them for about a month.

They don’t sound bad so I don’t change them and then they get too old and break. I’ve never been one to break strings on stage before. But how can I make myself take them off when they cost $17.99 and still sound bright?? :worried:

5 Likes

Ooo, did you do the B.B. King string change on stage while singing?

Do you think it was a fluke or maybe they have durability issues? I’ve never had an Elixir break, besides me doing stupid stuff like cutting a brand new string while I was clipping the ends… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Possibly. I had played this set HARD for over a week. I was on my 6th stage show and had jammed for probably 10+ hours too. I think I just gave them more use than I ever would have put on a set of EJ17s. It’s not the end of the world, just surprised me. The G snapped :disappointed:

3 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby, I started breaking strings at the saddle, and I noticed I had little notches worn in the saddle. I removed the notches and the strings quit breaking. It may have nothing to do with your situation, but worth checking.

3 Likes