Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

D'Addario XS Guitar Strings

Those strings were like: I’m out of here.

8 Likes

So I’m not the only one who has done that? :joy: Man it’s painful when that happens.

3 Likes

I think the G is the only string I’ve ever snapped on an acoustic. They’re very sensitive :laughing:

2 Likes

Snapped an XS G string in a jam the day before yesterday. I was counting the dollars per string wondering if it was worth it… I had no spare XS strings so an unmatching EJ17 is on there now.

4 Likes

But they still sounded good! That was the problem :rofl:

4 Likes

I found a photo of your strings right before they broke.
strings

11 Likes

Maybe Brandon Rickman should check that out. I’ve seen like 4 different videos of that dude breaking strings on stage with LRB :joy:

1 Like

Maybe heavier gauge strings would help.

5 Likes

Broke string story:

Many years ago I was in a band that played lots of (mostly) Country Gents & Seldom Scene.
We were booked two days at a festival & had to follow Seldom Scene on the second day.

We played all our Scene material on Fri when they weren’t there and all went very well so far.

Now is a good time to mention that John Duffy was one of my big heroes at the time, and I’d never really met anyone who I’d heard on a record before.

Saturday night, full crowd, everyone pumped & this kid was already a bit shaky.
The Scene is on stage & i’m warming up a bit & settling in my new strings.

Show time! I’m just fixing to pick a little G run & go on stage & Mr. Duffy exits stage & walks right up to me & says “Good crowd out there, have a great show!”

Well, I had a “thing” & commenced to tear the 6th string right apart & stand there wondering what to do next. eusa_wall

Luckily someone handed me a really nice D28 for the set and by the end of the first song I’d recovered my sanity, but I’ll never forget the fist time I met John Duffy aaf_lol

10 Likes

Anyone catch the Facebook post where Ned Luberecki used some good old red neck ingenuity to save a fiddle player who showed up to a gig without a spare set of strings?

“Folks are always asking me how often I change my strings.
I play them ‘til they KERSPLODE!!!
Opened my case this morning to a find a D string that had burst at both ends…
…and no spare strings! (They didn’t follow my fiddle out of the double case and into the single.)
Luckily, I’m traveling with a banjo toting, Victorinox wielding, mullet-less MacGyver this weekend.
Ned Luberecki tied a couple Boy Scouts of America knots in the string and it held up through the service at Fellowship Bible Church in Harrison, AR.”

2 Likes

I’ve seen that set used on a nine-string Martini D-29

1 Like

It WAS on the last note of the song. Not bad for a first time breaking a string on stage story.

4 Likes

Is it possible that “snapping” them might contribute to breaking them?

1 Like

I didn’t snap these. I’ve been afraid to snap XS’s - not sure if it would work the same, since they’re coated?

4 Likes

That’s some crazy luck haha.

2 Likes

I do believe Ned Luberecki lived out the Boy Scout Motto “Be Prepared”

2 Likes

Thank you to @Jake and the General Store for the 20 sets of XS strings I got in the mail today! They even cut me a nice deal. I feel well stocked for a while now. Ready for SPBGMA! :grinning:

8 Likes

Hey, I’m actually regularly changing my strings and staying stocked now :joy: It’s amazing how much easier and more enjoyable playing is with fresh strings haha.

7 Likes