Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Creating a practice plan

Since I play rhythm and sing in a honky tonk band, that’s my first priority, so I’m working on Ben’s intermediate guitar rhythm series first (I already went through the beginner series), spending 5-10 minutes in each key. Actually, I start with 5-10 minutes of his “Pick Accuracy Exercise”, to try to forestall my sloppy flubs in those aforementioned rhythm exercises that I do next. All this is with a simple metronome. I’m starting at 56 bpm, and figure to add 5 bpm/week, depending on how well I’m playing them.

During the practice itself, when I hit a spot that I’m flubbing, I stop and “snipperize” that part over and over until it’s mo’ bettah (though I wouldn’t use words like “flawless” or “perfect” - hard to know where to draw the line there), then I continue. The metronome stays on the whole time. When I feel pretty good about that particular rhythm series, playing it faster (I don’t know how many bpm that would be - suggestions?) and smoother and “perfect”, then I plan to go through the waltz series, maybe the hammer-ons and pull-offs after that. I’ll see when I get there.

This sound like a decent plan and approach? Suggestions are SO welcome!

Next: all this practice plan up until now is so that I can be Hank/Lefty/Buck/Ray for the band, and do my job better. But in my heart of hearts, back home in my living room (and someday out in public), I wanna be Doc . . . so that means flatpicking.

How do I start there? When do I start there? I figure maybe that there’s some drill(s)/exercises(s) I ought to be baby steppin’ right now along the way, then taking on some simple songs to incorporate that picking. Does that make sense? Any drills/exercises, or series of drills/exercises that y’all would recommend? In any particular order? How soon to go from there to a song? Which song?

Thanks for any input! And feel free to answer any questions I didn’t ask but should have :grin:.

1 Like

When? Right now. How? I’d suggest going through the beginner guitar learning track (checklist) and do every lesson, you can skip ones you’ve already done, and it should take you from no flatpicking to fairly decent picker pretty easily, and then move to intermediate. The rest of it sounds great. YMMV

So they’re arranged in the order y’ought to do them, specifically for flatpicking?

1 Like

To answer that question, check out this post

Good thread, Dragonslayer! Thanks for recommending it! What I got from it is that the lessons on the checklist are not necessarily laid out sequentially and that the songs are certainly not. That being the case: Any drills/exercises, or series of drills/exercises that y’all would recommend to start down the flatpicking road? In any particular order? How soon to go from there to a song? Which song? Thanks!

1 Like

I would practice the G scale and the C scale in open position, and learn a tune immediately. I find that learning a tune will make you want to play more, and you’ll learn faster. I’d suggest a G tune and a C tune, but I haven’t been in the beginner checklist in a while so I don’t know which you should start with. It has been suggested before to go through the beginner one sequentially, just so you don’t have to make choices, and then when you get to intermediate you can jump around more. My suggestion is to learn a tune you love. Go listen to a few, and whichever one calls to you (or gets stuck in your head) is the one you should learn. It’s always good to choose songs you like cuz you’ll be hearing it a lot!

“It’s always good to choose songs you like cuz you’ll be hearing it a lot!“

:grin::grin::grin: Good advice! Thanks!

1 Like