Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Camping with a guitar

What are the environmental limits you would take an acoustic guitar to for several days? Planning an annual camping trip in the Illinois fall; temps have ranged from 25-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity varies, but is usually below the desirable range for instruments. Is this something manageable with a humidifier?

4 Likes

My guitar is carbon fiber. I’ll take it anywhere in any conditions

8 Likes

I always bring instruments and usually my guitar as well when we go camping but we have a camper that has AC and heat so it’s not an issue. Would you be leaving it outside in a tent or something similar?

4 Likes

Probably leave it in the car (not running)

1 Like

Don’t do that. Cars are one of the hottest, most unforgiving locations to leave an instrument

7 Likes

I always try to bring my old banjo on canoe trips. In an emergency, I can use it for a paddle to row to safety.

5 Likes

I’ll definitely avoid that and leave it in the tent if it warms up. However, usually we almost freeze to death, so cold and dryness are my main concerns. :cold_face:

2 Likes

I have a backpack guitar for comping trips. It might be worth getting a cheaper instrument for that purpose?

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I only have space in the car for one guitar.

1 Like

Honestly, take your cheapest guitar, preferably one that has a plywood top, back and sides. Set up the guitar properly and enjoy. Gunner is correct that the car is one of the most dangerous places to store your instrument. Even on a comfortable day, a guitar in a case inside a car with the sun shining on it can reach temps that will weaken the glue joints and you may find nothing more than a pile of broken wood when you return. A plywood guitar is less susceptible to changes in humidity and temperature than a solid wood instrument or even one with just a solid wood top. However, only the carbon fiber guitars are nearly impervious to such weather extremes. And if you do not have such a plywood instrument for camping, it is always a good time to add another guitar to the collection. :wink:

5 Likes

I guess I’ll just leave it– we’re going right after Cabin Camp, where I’ll be using my Eastman. Thanks though!

2 Likes

I guess then you need a tourist guitar!

1 Like

Are you doing guitar or fiddle? I was going to do clawhammer but then I switched to fiddle. I think i heard you say you were doing fiddle.

4 Likes

Doing 3-finger at the banjo only and then staying to do fiddle the next week. See you there, Lord willing!
(I’m bringing my guitar to jam because it’s the best instrument I can sing with)

4 Likes

I’ll probably bring all four. I’m looking forward to it. it’s very exciting. Not often do you find another young person that has such similar interests and convictions. So Lord willing and the saints don’t raise I’ll see you in October.

4 Likes

At first blush, these appear to be surprisingly affordable. I have no knowledge of comparitive sound-quality, however as we know, any guitar will sound as good as you can play it.

2 Likes

Where are you camping in Illinois?

1 Like

Near Oakland; my dad and I have gone every year since 2014 with a group of fellow dads and sons. Love that area!

Didn’t know there was a campground there.
Thought if you was close maybe we could get together and jam. Oakland is about 50 miles ENE of me.

1 Like

Yeah, we stay in our hometown of Chicago and then make the trip down to Oakland. Are you going to be at either of the October Cabin camps?