Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Cabin Camp 2020 - Week 2

Round 2 is here! Many new faces and a few familiar ones, too. Check out who got to perform with the Purple Hulls! I’m living proof that if you practice for years and years, pour your heart and soul into an instrument, and never take your eyes off the prize, anyone can… toss that instrument aside, pick up a much easier instrument to play and perform with some of the best pickers on earth. :laughing:

Seriously, though, it was an absolute honor to be on stage with these people. I don’t know if I’ve ever felt less worthy of anything in my life. I appreciate each of them so much.

22 Likes

@Mark_Rocka That’s got to be a check mark :white_check_mark: for the bucket list. Spending last week with Katy on banjo was a check off my bucket list.

7 Likes

It absolutely was. It was a privilege to be on stage with musicians of their caliber.

7 Likes

@Mark_Rocka,
“toss that instrument aside,”
:rofl::+1:t2: That’s awesome!
Yup, know what you mean about the ‘unworthy/priviledge/& appreciation’ feelings, and that’s just from my perspective on the ground, not even close to yours up on the stage…
You did GREAT!!!
Thanks for posting week 2 videos :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thank you, Simone! That means a lot.

Here are a couple from this morning, and look who’s on bass today! He said it’s the first time he’s ever played 2 songs in a row on bass.

12 Likes

@Mark_Rocka Wish I could be there! Make sure you tell @Jake and @AdamAsh that I’ve been enjoying their picking on the new Spillwater Drive album!

12 Likes

Man, it’s so good, isn’t it?! I’ll be sure to let them know.

11 Likes

You go boy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yep, I just downloaded and am enjoying it as well, tell the boys for me

10 Likes

I listened to Spillwater and Abby’s family CD most of the way home last Sunday. It’s good to see Adam there this week.

The song I can’t get out of my head from last week is Great Big Hand. I think that’s the name. I’ve figured out the chords and I’m memorizing the words.

8 Likes

Same here; just something about that song and chord progression! Figured out the chords and a mandolin break yesterday.

7 Likes

Look’s like your holdin your own!:wink: Nice job Mark, you fit right in there. Sure am sorry I had to pass on all that fun this year ,I’m gonna work on next year though!:sunglasses:

8 Likes

You definitely need to, Jon. It’s so much fun!

6 Likes

Somehow I forgot to mention one of the most magical parts of Cabin Camp this year. Every night we got thousands of these little visitors lighting up our jam sessions.

9 Likes

That would be a perfect opportunity for @Dragonslayer to play one of his most famous originals, Twelve O’clock Lightning Bug.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing the videos! Kudos to Ben and his sisters and others for putting up a great show!! Mark, for some reason I thought fretted instrument is comparatively easier to play than non-fretted one. :wink: Or maybe you’re already in the league of Ben & co to back them up that it wouldn’t have mattered, fret or no fret??! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I cheated. This bass has stickers on the side of the finger board where the frets are supposed to be. :wink:

9 Likes

Ah, I see… j/k :wink:

4 Likes

If you haven’t been to camp, you don’t know that Ben’s kids are as much a part of the experience as anything else here. This morning Charlie Belle was showing all the campers her new friend.

13 Likes

Hello Ms Belle! :slight_smile:

She has fun friend. Yeah we too had played with grasshoppers, praying mantises, dragonflies etc. when we were kids.

5 Likes