Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

BEWARE: this ain’t no part of nothin

So my uncle wants to give me his 90s Fender Strat Plus Deluxe! I’ve never played electric guitar before but I’m looking forward to figuring it out. For the electric players out there: any thoughts on songs/techniques to learn? I might try to delve into some jazz fusion which I have become fond of…

Here’s a pic of the strat. Picking it up in October.

12 Likes

Very cool! The only thing I can tell you is get ready to lighten up on your touch!

7 Likes

Ohhh, does it work to play country???

I mean you could even get a good flatpicking solo out with that!!

2 Likes

“WEELL I was born up in the northland!!!”

eric johnson riff

I think you could make it work if you know how to play. A tele is certainly all around more suitable for country chicken pickin’, but the right player makes the sound :grinning:

2 Likes

I dare you to learn and post Sweet Child O Mine… maniacal laughter

3 Likes

But yeah, I have an electric but I never play it anymore because bluegrass is really all I’m into nowadays.

4 Likes

Now you’ve really gone over the edge (of the earth)…

Just don’t try that at Galax. You’ll get thrown out of the park.

4 Likes

Haha, I saw that on the regulations page. I laughed internally at the thought of a band getting kicked out for using an electric bass :joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t use my bass in my Auld Lang Syne video because Ben said no electric instruments haha. And then several people used keyboards and I was like :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Not just a band. You can’t JAM on a plugged in instrument. I’ve heard they’ve thrown out jammers in the park for using a bass with an amp. :smile:

In all seriousness congratulations. A new guitar is always fun. Although I can’t play an electric. I’ve tried; multiple friends have let me play theirs, and all I can think of is flatpicking licks. And the way the instrument always makes noise of its own just bugs me. It’s too easy to play - that’s what’s hard.

3 Likes

It’s true that bands have to have a real doghouse bass though. Assuming Golden Wood has a real upright? Who’s the bass player anyway, you? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe Jake can help you with that… :grin:

4 Likes

Arwen Cockman, I think. Either her or Lorien. John is fiddling with us which I am excited about!

5 Likes

Have you picked the songs?

Maybe Jake can help you with that… :grin:

Sure he could but I just don’t like it.

3 Likes

No, are you supposed to do that beforehand? I was thinking we’d just brainstorm once we got there, kinda like the Cabin Camp bands.

2 Likes

Well lots of bands certainly did that but I’d say the ones who placed are the ones who prepared well. It’s two songs, you know; one each night.

3 Likes

Well, we’re all remote so I guess we’ll just wait till we get there. I could be super proactive and throw together a song suggestion group chat. Although early preparedness isn’t exactly how Gunnar tends to roll :joy:

4 Likes

I can imagine :roll_eyes:
…Or how YOU tend to roll either…

4 Likes

True, when I met him he wouldn’t give me a time for when he was gonna be there. Then finally “I’m 15 minutes away.” :joy:

3 Likes

Somehow, “He’s gone to the darkside” keeps popping up in my head, but I don’t know why!

4 Likes