Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Are you interested in performing in a no prize contest?

So @Flatpickin_Libby and @BanJoe had an idea to have our own non-sanctioned forum picking contest over on this thread.

The idea is to submit your best performance of Cripple Creek. It can be any version, any instrument (or instruments) you like. You’d have the entire month of December to submit your entry, then we’d all vote on our favorite entry on January 1, 2021.

This post is to see if there is enough interest. So vote here if you’d be willing to enter such a contest. Since it’s non-sanctioned, the only prize is bragging rights. :wink:

• Great idea and I will enter the contest
  • I’ll vote for a winner but I won’t enter the contest
  • I don’t like this idea

0 voters

Choose your funding preference below.

For the contest entry fee and winner, I prefer:

• A free contest. Winner gets bragging rights.
  • A free contest, but people are welcome to donate to the winner.
  • An entry fee. Winner gets the proceeds.
  • An entry fee. Proceeds go to a picker in need.

0 voters

5 Likes

I love his idea, however I won’t be entering, because I’m planning to submit a Christmas video, if all goes as planned.

Thank you Joe and Mark!

5 Likes

I’d enter if I find the time! Does it have to be video? Because I’d want to do multitrack, and I’m way better at audio only for that…

6 Likes

Nobody can vote for their own of course? Would we vote with a poll just like the one above?

6 Likes

I don’t see any reason it can’t be audio only. Go for it!

6 Likes

I don’t know how anyone would know you voted for your own. I’m sure Joe Biden and Donald Trump voted for themselves. :wink:

Yes, on the final entry day, I’ll create a poll of all the winners and then we’ll give the poll 24 hours.

6 Likes

I think I have to try and get used to it before I can decide one way or the other. But the song looks like a good exercise though.

Also, I’m not a fan of popularity contest (for example, say I play bad and I get all the votes and it sure would make @Mark_Rocka envious of me! :wink: :wink: but very remote chance as I know he controls the polls. :wink: ) but I’m ok with it for unofficial contest like this ones.

1 Like

I’m bound to the rules of the board’s poll features. It’s not like I’m a Dominion corporate employee or anything. :laughing:

In my mind, the winning entry may not be the one who played the best, but rather who entertained the most. @xmark had what I considered to be the most entertaining Eefing entry, even though he technically didn’t even eef. I would have voted for him.

So even if someone isn’t as proficient at playing, there are no rules for voting, so swing voters your way any way you can. If video editing is your bag, use it!

9 Likes

I was just kidding, I’m camera shy! I’m not an entertainer type either. But you never know the crowd might swing your way still. You see?? :wink: Anyhow, at the most I will submit an audio entry this time. But I will be shopping for a camera and will show my face sometime. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Definitely interested in this! Not a huge fan of cripple creek, but I like the idea anyway. I would be in favor of in addition to doing an overall presentation contest maybe having separate contests just for picking skill, like a standard instrument contest, where you choose your own piece to perform

5 Likes

@BanJoe @Mark_Rocka @Dragonslayer @Treblemaker @Michael_Mark @anyonelesewhogivesahoot

Read all of this and think @Flatpickin_Libby also contributed and might have started this thread. Contests yes important but then as I have read do we then go down beginner, intermediate, advanced categories. Who has the newest head, shiniest guitar or just continue and encourage the video swaps and feedback appropriately.

My rationale is that we generally know each other capabilities by now and I thought I knew mine until I got blown away by some of the Video Swaps. Singing in Tune and all so that moved me from Intermediate Guitar (Non Bluegrass) player to Horses Arse all round performer. Not that I wouldn’t put something up for scrutiny but how you gonna do it will run longer than Covid. More aligned with @banjoe idea but no real interest in learning Cripple Creek at the price of giving up my practice routines.

Also if prize is $5 off $40 Picks well we would need to do better than that! :wink:

What I would do is say give £25 to enter and if 20 of us did that we could provide a life membership for someone in need (Disabled Ex serviceman or ill health or something) that could be decided by Ben and I don’t want to know who it is.

2 Likes

I agree Mark seen some fantastic players on street corners with 5 Strings or less on a guitar an open tuning and bags of sincerity!

3 Likes

You’re so right, and shame on me for not including her in the initial post. I’ll correct that problem now.

That’s a noble idea, but I think it would limit the number of entries. Since this is a group participation project, let’s see what others gave to say about it.

4 Likes

I don’t see why we couldn’t do one of those, too.

Yeah, I get it, but I’d bet more people know CC than just about any other song. If we’re gonna get participation for this first contest, it’s probably a good place to start.

6 Likes

And just what is wrong with that???:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i think it’s a cool idea! I’m there! i think cc is also where you reach most people. although cc somehow doesn’t suit me either … But I like to participate.

3 Likes

CC is not my favorite song in the world either, but if it’s what everyone knows we could just try it. How about everyone who participates has to mail or email the grand winner a small prize? Can be an email gift certificate or coupon or a cheap pick/strings/candy/small gift in the mail. The winner will get rewarded by everyone here on the forum! If it’s fun we can do it again, maybe with pick your own song, or with skill level categories.

5 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby, that would be a bit difficult for me from switzerland … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

International contestants wouldn’t have to do that part. In fact not everyone would have to, just whoever wants to.

6 Likes

@Mark_Rocka

Hello Mark ,

Electronic communications always fail. There was nothing meant about FlatPickingLibby not being named checked it was just me bringing it together. As I have ended up responding in 2 threads to this myself.

The more the merrier it was just the math being based on 20 participants. 500 entries means I shed a Dollar I don’t mind.

2 Likes