Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Are you interested in performing in a no prize contest?

OK. I just added another poll to the initial post to determine how we’ll handle potential entry fees and proceeds. Check it out and vote!

We still have plenty of time for everyone to weigh in before December. I appreciate all of the feedback and participation.

3 Likes

If you stop the Poll now I have won! :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: I might have to create some forum accounts to vote on behalf of my deceased relatives…

5 Likes

I’m in. I put in my .02 on Mark’s poll, but honestly it doesn’t matter to me. However y’all decide to do this will be fine with me.

2 Likes

“Cripple Creek” was just a suggestion. Since there is no prize but personal satisfaction & a swell title, maybe letting folks pick the one they are most comfortable would encourage showmanship as well musical skill.

I wonder how Ted Mack handled this with The Original Amateur Hour?

" The show lasted on radio until 1952 and until 1970 on television, where it ran on all four major networks, ending as a Sunday afternoon staple. A success in the early days of television, the program set the stage for numerous programs seeking talented stars, from The Gong Show to Star Search to American Idol to America’s Got Talent.
Winners who went on to show business careers included singers Gladys Knight, Ann-Margret, Pat Boone, Raul Julia, Teresa Brewer & Irene Cara."

2 Likes

I would recomend not overthinking it. That’s the reason most of these kinds of project have stalled; because open democracy in making decisions doesn’t make decisions.

8 Likes

Totally agree. I say we see what the consensus is after a couple of days of discussion and then lock it in.

6 Likes

I just found this thread but it sounds like a great idea to me! I’ll definitely be entering if I can find the time. I agree with @Dragonslayer about a contest where you choose your own song, but that can come later. I’m excited to see where this goes!

6 Likes

To your point, I knew I’d never be able to pull it off with a proper Eef, but I could successfully record little snips, plus it presented an opportunity and a goal for multi-track recording and video editing. For those who choose to participate in this CC contest, these same opportunities could be presented.

@Mark_Rocka, your win was well deserved! I was just very flattered my entry made it into the finals at all.

Even though I didn’t win first place in the Eefing Contest, @Jake did bestow a title on me as, “The William Shatner of Eefing”, and frankly I’m as proud of that as any other bragging rights I could have ever expected. The bragging rights last a lot longer than the prize money ever can anyway. :blush:

(William Shatner wasn’t a real star ship captain, but he certainly entertained me when he played one on TV! ):grinning:

7 Likes

He wasn’t a real Star Ship Captain?

2 Likes

That was classic! Those guys had me rolling with their comments, and then you pulled out the jaw harp and I just lost it!

And you know, I’ve been called Marky Mark ever since he and his Funky Bunch came on the scene (I’m betting you have too) but that’s the first time I’ve ever been called Mark y Mark. :laughing:

5 Likes

Michael, but to avoid trouble you might also want to do this. When/before you do that, Get out of your base in the middle of the night and shout out the magical passphrase as loud as you can.

[No one knows this magical encrypted key so this is only between us - “Amkc msr, kyl!”. For decryption, fast forward each letter by 2 letter.]

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Is the winner’s chosen from 3 categories ?
Banjo… Guitar… Mandolin…

1 Like

I guess it depends on how many places are winners. IF there is a 1st, 2nd & 3rd, that means 9 “winners” if we do all three instruments at the same time. Strikes me as a bit unwieldy.
I could go for the mando contest first, then a guitar contest in a few months and a banjo contest in a couple more months, (after I’ve had all this extra time to practice. :smirk:)
And I see no reason why a guitar player couldn’t vote for their favorite mando player, who could vote in the banjo contest.

2 Likes

I’m thinking, at least for this first contest, we should open it up to all instruments and all skill levels. Criteria will just be something like “Most entertaining.”

We probably won’t have nearly as many entries as Ben gets because Ben advertises his contests on multiple platforms and we’re just doing it here on the forum.

I don’t see a need for more than 1 prize, whether that’s bragging rights or an actual prize.

4 Likes

can i advertise for this contest? more precisely I am following a little boy on yt (porter) who might like to take part …

5 Likes

Seems like actual prizes can make the contest unwieldy. Why not ask Ben if he can add a new badge, something like “people’s choice.” That way, those people that are interested in accumulating the badges will have something to show for their effort. Kind of like a banana republic’s generalisimo dictator’s uniform. Some of these guys are such good pickers that they had to put medals on their pants!

7 Likes

Sure! The more the merrier!

2 Likes

First, LOL!!! That pic is awesome!

Second, that seems like a great idea! I don’t know what it would take to actually create a new badge. My guess is that Ben would have to pay to have that coded into the board, in which case, it’d be cheaper to just give out a prize. I’ll ask him after the weekend dies down. They’re having their General Store Grand Opening today.

6 Likes