Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Suggestion!

i would say we definetly need a skill competition. However, iwould agree with @BanJoe on different skill levels. A random draw simply does not produce as much motivation.

2 Likes

@BanJoe, you have some points. I understand the lottery part of illegality. But I think the rest be easily handled with a simple contract clause saying “Arbiter Ben’s decision is final!”. I don’t think this contest gives Ben unfair business advantage nor it infringes anyone’s right to be taken up and challenged.

1 Like

A bluegrass instrument contest is just like a fiddle convention. If you’ve ever been to one you understand how it works. It’s all in the fun, and skill is a factor because it’s judged, and it makes you get lots better. But I wasn’t even talking about prizes since Ben shouldn’t have to give his stuff away for nothing. It would be fun enough just to be named “Banjo Ben’s 17th Place Flatpicker!” :smile:

8 Likes

Just so we’re clear, Ben always makes it known up front how contest winners are chosen. I knew before entering that it would be a random draw. I just happened to have the time for the elaborate entry, and more importantly, I vastly underestimated how much effort it would be before getting started. :laughing:

It’s knowing the effort now that would keep me from doing it again. :wink:

6 Likes

Personally I am not very competitive never have been. Even if my skill level was better I don’t think it would change me. I do however enjoy watching others (especially younger students) participating in a contest but I am mindful of the fact that judging someone’s skill level is subjective and can be very intimidating. for some not least the judges. Which is why I like it when the winner is chosen randomly. That way everyone has an equal chance of winning without the pressure of playing perfectly. I also believe it motivates others to come take a look at what banjobenclark.com has to offer new students and more importantly encourages existing Gold Pick members to post a video. Which I believe is really what @BanjoBen had in mind when he set up the Video Swap section of the Forum for Gold Pick Members. You don’t need a contest to post a video. Also bear in mind that this is Ben’s livelihood, he has a young family to support and staff wages to pay and all the bills and taxes associated with running a business. From what I can see no one does more for their students than Ben does. If you know of anyone who gives more please share the info, I’d love to go check them out…

As @Mark_Rocka said Ben always makes it known up front how contest winners are chosen.

rules Rules are always published with every contest

1 Like

Rules? We don’t need no stinkin’ rules!

We could have out own contest on the Video Swap. Start it December 1st. Everybody post their best version of “Cripple Creek.”
On January 1st, have a vote on who has the best performance and name them “Diamond Picker of the Quarter.” (Beginner -Intermediate-Advance Divisions)
Then we could have another contest for the first quarter of 2021.
Depending on the number of entries, we might have to have several rounds of voting to narrow down the field.
Then we could have several weeks of challenges to the vote totals and claim the thing was fixed & some votes weren’t counted!
(Ooops…I forgot which Forum I was on. Sorry.):grin:

2 Likes

@BanJoe, I agree you do have some valid points, but Ben’s contest wouldn’t necessarily be a “lottery”, so I think it would be exempt from those rules. Besides, nothing on earth is really perfectly fair. I do agree that a three-tiered competition is a good idea, though. Maybe each participant could choose their own song and arrangement?

2 Likes

Not a bad idea, Joe! I’ll start a poll to see how much interest we have.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember that well, Mark. Time to lose those teeth in the icon and show us that handsome face. :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s really not that much different. :wink:

3 Likes

Why should there be rules the government don’t have rules they just make them up as they go LOL:laughing::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Third! The random draws aren’t particularly motivating if you know that all you have to do is play a passable version of a tune

4 Likes

Whoops answered elsewhere!

1 Like

Hi Don. This is @BanjoBen 's Website, Contest, Livelihood & Business not mine. Ben sets the rules and conditions here so anyone with an issue is free to take it up with Ben. Like you I am just a member here and just trying to bring newcomers up to speed with how things have been done in the past. As for US politics I’ll stay out of that if you don’t mind.

I understand that 100%, and share the sentiment, with a twist.
I love to play the game. It simply is not particularly important that I win.
If the game is interest, fun and allows me to challenge myself a little, I’m in.
But if I gotta play with the "Win or go home crowd, " I think I’ll go fishing.
Heck, the fish beat me often enough!

3 Likes

I second that @BanJoe just a hint of improvement in what I do would be enough to play again tomorrow. Gave up thinking I would beat the World

Same here. I enjoy the challenge of learning something new, and/or the fun of creating the final product more than winning.

1 Like

I’m extremely competitive. I don’t mind being beat, but I hate to lose

4 Likes

I second that big time!!! I personally think most people like to win just some more than others. And i love to win. Now don’t get me wrong, i wont lose my face if i lose but i will do my best to win.

2 Likes

I’d love a more open contest as well. A performance based contest, of course, and maybe instrument choice as well. (My primary instrument is Dobro but I can enter on banjo again if needed…)

5 Likes