Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Who makes good dobros brand names and so forth

Just wondered about the dobro and who makes them and what would be a good one in a price range ?? I don’t see much on the net about them .

I don’t think we have too many dobro players here, welder, and my knowledge is so limited it’s probably not worth a lot.

In general, if you’re looking for a bluegrass dobro you probably want one with a spider cone. If blues is your thing you’d probably want a biscuit cone.

When it comes to manufacturers, things get really confusing because builders have merged and divided their companies so many times over the years. Epiphone (Gibson) has the rights to the “Dobro” name currently. They market the entry level “Hound Dog Dobro”. A step up would be something like Paul Beard’s Goldtone series. Seems a lot of pros like Scheerhorns, but they’re pretty pricey.

I know time does some pretty bad things to fingers and not wanting to give up completely I thought maybe with my practice on the banjo I could learn the Dobro.I have a nice bar to use and have tried a bit on a guitar but it is not the same sound for sure. thanks for the information I may look at the houndawg sq neck if the need arises or I may borrow one from a fellow at church . he has a lot of guitars but plays very little and I change his strings on his mandolin when they need it . Again thank you .

— Begin quote from ____

I know time does some pretty bad things to fingers and not wanting to give up completely I thought maybe with my practice on the banjo I could learn the Dobro.

— End quote

The dobro is definitely easier on the fingertips, but my hand does cramp up if I hold the bar too long.

My friend Tim makes some the best.

scheerhornguitars.com/