Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What are y'all up to?

Yes, that would be “Ross County Airport”.

Chillicothe is the place where the plains meet the Appalachian foothills. That just happens to be where the accent starts. It def gets thicker the closer to Jackson KY you get :rofl:

You sure that wasn’t a coyote he had as a pet? Coyotes look just like a fox to most… only bigger.

4 Likes

Been a long time. Thought he said it was part Fox. Seems like it had a reddish tint to the fur, but yes, was a long time ago :wink: Back home, they called Coyote-Dog crosses “Coy-dogs”. In the summer way out here in the country in Iowa, we hear the Coyotes howling in the distance at night. They have a high, lonesome song. Maybe their version of Coyote Bluegrass? haha! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m just South of Nashville now, nestled in 60 acres of woods surrounded by about 800 acres of woods…Coyotes show up at my place yapping about twice a week at night. I love listening from my front porch , sounds real nice under a heavy frost and starlit night. I am hard on them though, I keep a couple different critters that makes the perfect midnight snack for a yote.

6 Likes

We prefer to keep the coyotes away, because of our chickens. we had one attempt to attack them in broad daylight while we were outside a couple years ago…

5 Likes

I had a big red female that would walk my gravel drive in broad daylight. She was
exceptionally large for a yote, very pretty dog and very healthy. I watched her run off with one of my free-range chickens one day. The 2 dogs and I also ran into her at the stream one day…all 4 of us were so surprised that the entire event was event-less. We were coming back out of the woods and about to cross the creek that is on the side of my yard. The big female was drinking from the stream. There;s waterfalls that are fairly loud in that section so she never heard us coming. I noticed her first and then my two dogs noticed her. They had no clue about what to do, looked up at me for guidance. The big female looked at us and simply eased off up the stream (they typically run away fast). My dogs had no clue and were waiting on my orders, the entire thing caught them by surprise too…we were no more than 20 yards apart.

After that I decided that yote was too brave and it was time to deal with her. I’m only 35 mins from the “strip” in Nashville and there is major development all around me -but I can still sling lead from my front porch with the AR15 and do so frequently at yotes and what seems to be an endless supply of squirrels getting in my garden and chewing on my house.

7 Likes

Maybe you could train the coyotes to catch squirrels?

7 Likes

@BanjoBen I saw your banjo playing on FlightChops, such a small world!

1 Like

Since we are talking about critters here’s a video of a bobcat I caught on camera.

I took my son out during muzzle loader season and sat in an elevated shooting shack that the previous owners of the property put in. I guess we were 3ft or so off the ground. I looked down the lane/road going through the woods and this cat was coming down it. I managed to get my cell out and started recording.

Bobcats are rarely seen by hunters. I’ve been an avid bow hunter for 35+ years and this is the only the second bobcat I’ve ever seen.

When the cat starts sneaking like it’s going to attack it’s because I am wiggling my fingers while recording. Cats fall for it every time.

Not a very good video and there’s trash on the ground (I had just had a forestry mulching company in to mulch up the 8 ft tall underbrush in this area and it’s amazing how much old trash from years ago that they uncovered).

This is a really special spot on my place. Right out on front of us is 2 lock on stands I put in for my son and I to bow hunt together, his first time ever with a bow in his hand he shot a nice 8 pt at 10 yards, it was between him and I and only 5 yards from me. The bobcat was recorded there. I seen a covey of quail come through (first time I’d had ever seen quail in my life while in the woods), and I had the truck parked right beside the shooting shack one day and a Great Horned Owl just sat there under the tin roof of the shooting shack perched on a shooting rail…it watched me or at least 15 minutes at no more than 20ft away at one point.

5 Likes

Mike my 14 yr old son shoots trap, skeet, and sporting clays. If I had to guess I’d say the boy shoots a minimum of 8K rounds of 12 gauge shells/yr and probably closer to 10K…can’t get the boy to walk out in the yard and start mowing down squirrels though.

He and I dealt with some of them one day. They were eating all my mammoth sunflower seeds. I typically put out 40 mammoth sunflowers around my garden every year, they get between 12-18ft tall. The squirrels were eating all the seeds. I typically hang the heads up in the rafters of my chicken coop then toss a head to the chickens every other day or so during winter for a treat…well the squirrels were getting them all.

I went and got my son, I grabbed the 22 rifle and he grabbed his shotgun. We eased around a shed I have behind my house by my garden, I told him to let me get the rifle on one and for him to get ready to start blasting as soon as I shot the first squirrel. When the smoke cleared about 30 seconds later I had 3 down and he blasted 8 with the shotgun. I’d say there were at least 25 in the trees around my garden…it’s like that all over my property. Nobody hunts the little suckers anymore and they are simply over populated…no predators besides for hawks and my game rooster took out the only red tail I’d ever seen around the place.

2 Likes

Pic of the shooting shack for reference.

4 Likes

We had/have squirrels terrorizing our house, causing thousands in damage. I declared war 5 years ago and I know how you feel.

5 Likes

My son and I went out kicking the brush up last weekend for rabbits. I have an over abundance of those also - it’s nothing for me to see ten in the evenings on the 3 acres or so of wooded yard around my house.

So we were walking back off the side of our county road with blaze vests/guns heading back to the house. The neighbor lady that is about 1./2 mile down the road from us stopped and asked if we’d come down to her house and kill some squirrels in her back yard, she thought we were out squirrel hunting. . She said they’ve already chewed through two spots in here soffit/eaves and were living in her attic. I may head to her house this eve since the weather is getting better and see if I can’t knock off a few around her place and deal with the ones in her attic/repair/block the holes for her. She’s an older single lady, has 3 sons our age but they are not going to deal with it.

Squirrels devastate my sweet corn also. Seems about the time I start checking on my sweet corn to see if it’s ready to harvest and I think “a lot will be ready within 3-5 days”…well 3-5 days later it’s all pretty much devastated by squirrels. Those little suckers know when the sweet corn is ready.

They’ve not made it into my attic yet, was able to fend them off. Problem is there’s an army of those little Kamikazes laying in wait.

If we have a decent mast production then it’s not as bad. When there are no acorns or hickory nuts for them in the fall then lookout, there will be armies of the little suckers move in to my yard.

I bet it’s safe to say that around the perimeter of my yard there can be 40-50 squirrels when there’s no acorn crop.

5 Likes

Pic of house and little guest house. You can see my yard is fairly wooded. Again, I’m on 60 acres of woods in the middle of 3 other property owners with 800-1000 acres of woods around me. It’s probably one of the most abundant places for wild animals that I’ve ever seen. Simply amazing how many are around on any given day. I like them, believe in conservation, but at some point when signs of over-crowding is obvious, then it’s time to deal with the problem.

7 Likes

You’ve got a beautiful place Jesse!

3 Likes

Thanks Kevin.

I’ve been to around 25 different countries and all over the U.S and I am actually in love with this property and this part of Tennessee (just south of Nash). I was fortunate enough to sell a business I started at age 29 when I turned 40 I sold it and retired. I put in a lot of work around here. I’m doing that “self-sustaining” thing, grow a majority of my own food, put up around 6-8 cords of wood per year (heat home with it all winter) and I split it all by hand…lot of work. Wouldn’t trade it for the world though. Living the dream.

Oh, here’s a single year’s worth of wood that I stacked behind the little guest house. It will dry for 2 years then be ready to burn. I will move all of this to a lean-to shed one wheelbarrow load at a time. One pic behind guest house and 2nd pic is of a lean-to off the back of a finished garage/den for the kids.

9 Likes

Since I started showing pics of my place I will entertain you all with some of the beauty that’s around my place through some pics and caption.

I mentioned I garden and grow a lot of my own food. Here’s 3 pics…

The garden with my wife in it after we had just gotten everything transplanted and seeded. I let tree cutting companies dump wood chips on me. Wood chips are great for soil building and as a mulch to keep weeds down. Once my garden is planted then I take one wheelbarrow load at a time into this garden (this one is 4K sq ft, you are looking just over half the garden in this pic) and I mulch it all in about 4" deep with woodchips. I had to climb on my shed roof and toss down some stakes so I snapped a pic while up there.

This is what the garden typically looks like when June rolls around and everything is abundant and mature.

These raised beds were made by me. I harvested some cedar then used an “Alaskan Chainsaw Mill” to make the boards. These 4 beds and the other 2 (one from slabs and another in the corner made from rocks) is our “table garden” where if we need something we walk right out of the kitchen and get it.

9 Likes

We have about 1/2 mile of stream running through our place, it’s spring fed and will sometimes just about dry up in the summer months during a drought.

Both of these pics are right off my sideyard. The wife and I can lay in bed at night with the windows open and listen to the stream. The picnic table is my wife’s spot. That’s her “You and the 3 kids are getting on my nerves and I need to get away spot”. Kids will cater my wife and I breakfast or lunch here about 5 times/yr. They make a big deal of it.

First pic is standing on the bridge I put in to cross the creek, to the left is my house, chicken coop I built is on the knoll.

Here’s the picnic table and my wife’s quiet spot.

9 Likes

don’t let me visit…I’d never leave…beautiful!

3 Likes

The 42 acres I purchased next to my place use to be a farm 50 years ago. It was never in row crops but instead the farmer raised 100 hogs, couple head of cattle, and grew a little tobacco. It sat vacant for 50 years. I wanted to reclaim some of it and use it. There was an old pond that would not hold water. It had 40 year old growth (brush trees) in it so when I had the forestry mulching company in to reclaim the meadows I had them mulch everything up in the pond too. I then rented an excavator and done a little repair work to the dam.

This pic is what it looked like when it first filled up with water after I repaired the dam. This pond is 1/4 mile through the woods from our house.

5 Likes

The next two pics…

First one is of a sinkhole on our property. I am treating these woods as a production crop land…all in ginseng. I plant 1 acre of ginseng seed every year, is a lot of work. Right before fall I take my tractor, grub brush then pull back all the decaying leaves, sew ginseng seed to 4-6 seeds per square foot, then cover it back up. Estimates after 7 years is $250K/acre of wild ginseng. The sinkhole area is really nice for the ginseng…and copperheads and rattlesnakes. Outside of winter you better have snake leggings on. I don’t mess with the snakes in the woods and let 3-5 black snakes rule the roost around my house, they are a big deterrence of venomous snakes. First off venomous snakes are lazy, with black snakes being so active they really hit the mice hard and deplete the food source, venomous snakes need easy prey. Plus black snakes will coil up on an suffocate/strangulate venomous snakes.

I am on a treestand bow hunting in this pic. That green field was 40 year old growth. I had a forestry mulching company reclaim roughly 4 acres that use to be fields. I then took my tractor and pushed all the mulch to the perimeter, sewed it all by hand with rye grass and fescue. This spring I will hand sew it all in 3 types of clover and perennial wildflowers…I will put in between `15-20 bee hives and grow that to 100-200 hives in 5 years. The meadows will be their buffet.

5 Likes