Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What are y'all up to?

Sorry for your loss Peg, Take the time you need to grieve, but think of the good memories too.

1 Like

Wow! I just got back from a 1,700 mile road trip with one of my best friends. He just got accepted into the Border Patrol Academy in Artesia, NM. His first duty station is Alpine, TX, so he had to report there, then they bus him to Artesia. Problem is he doesn’t have a way to get back to Alpine duty station after the academy is done. So, I flew down to Panama City Beach, FL, then we drove to Alpine, TX, (via Valentina’s!), then I dropped him off and took his truck to Artesia (via the Guadalupe Mountain National Park…WOW!). THEN, the pastor who married Hannah and I drove out to Artesia and gave me a ride to Lubbock to catch a plane. What a trip!

Cool thing I learned is that John Moore from Bluegrass Etc. lives in Alpine now and I put he and my buddy in touch. John is one of my favorite pickers!

12 Likes

You are a great friend!

3 Likes

Gunnar, yeah I remember now… Thanks for reminding to it!

Ecclesiastes 3:21,
21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Romans 8:22
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Here the creation may not mean other than mankind. I’ll have to look into that.

4 Likes

I always took this to mean the entire universe

4 Likes

Agreed. That is quite a trip! Guadalupe Peak AND Valentina’s AND Alpine (not to mention 27000 miles of I-10 through the swamps)… sounds fun.

5 Likes

That’s what I used to think. Probably that’s what it means! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talked to my close friend today…his cancer is back and he’s back on the chemo, and dealing with several infections.

Also got word today that another friend and one of my musical heroes (Mike Lilley) is now in hospice.

All in all not a great day.

3 Likes

Just got back from a jam, Eric O’hara was in town so experienced his awesome guitar/dobro skills. I wish I got some video. For those who don’t know he taught the Gibson brothers at Dicks’s Country Store, and currently tours with them playing Pedal Steel.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your buddys. Definitely disturbing news. Hoping tomorrow’s a better day.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your friends Dave.

1 Like

So sorry Dave. It’s a hard season of life when those we care about begin having these broken bodies wear out. Will pray for them and you.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Dave.

Yesterday I watched the red bull king of the air kitesurfing competition, which was awesome. It was free to watch (being on the beach) which was nice. I watched almost the entire event, and now I’m a cherry. But it was definitely worth the sunburn…

3 Likes

Dave, I’m sorry to hear about Mike and your friend. I pray that God is gracious to them, for their healing, and they trust in him for their peace.

7 Likes

Oh man, so sorry to hear that. I’ll pray for them and their families.

3 Likes

Thanks to you all.

With another good friend fighting infections in the hospital and two close cousins fighting cancer right now it seems I like know more sick & dying folks than I do healthy ones at the moment. Goes with getting older I guess.

2 Likes

Just saw this, @Fiddle_wood

2 Likes

Yes.
I was there right behind you.

I’ll always remember Mike as not only a great musician and singer, but for the hours he would spend helping those who would ask him how to play something he had done. He was very approachable, and had a virtual line of banjo pickers who wanted to learn his “stuff” when camping at festivals.

He taught me a lot about singing parts.

He was planning on performing again and had asked me to play bass just before he got sicker and his ability to play & sing at the required level started to diminish.

4 Likes

MissMaggie I played a lot of music in Chillicothe and Waverly. I am originally from Ironton. As a matter of fact my picking (mando) buddy owns Mapleberry Syrup Farms outside of Waverly he was running a large maple syrup operation and I use to help during the day and we’d pick all night (I bowhunted on his land close to Waverly Golf Club). We use to pick at the Stained Glass Shop in Chillicothe. We’ve also picked some at Prussia Valley Dulcimers.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Dave. Lost my mom last year to cancer…always tough, always makes you re-think things.

1 Like