Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Well nuts

The nut on my banjo is not even across.
It is closer to the neck on the 1st string and further from the neck on the 4th string.
I purchased a replacement nut, but have cold feet on changing it.
Are there any videos from the nuts at the shop on changing the nut?
Thank you!!
Peggy

2 Likes

Hi @Peg_E Peggy good to see you back on the Forum. I have watched some videos on YouTube that cover this topic mostly guitars. Personally it’s not a task I would do myself. Not that it appears too difficult I just think a Luthier would do a much better job than me and I don’t think hiring a professional to do the work would cost all that much.

Basically you would heat the nut with a soldering iron to ease the glue. Knock out the nut with a leather or plastic mallet taking great care not to damage the neck. Firstly removing any glue from around the nut with a Stanley knife. Clean out the channel of residual glue and make sure the new nut fits in the slot without undue force. Check the position of the strings and mark with a pencil before cutting the slots. Glue the new nut in place and fit the strings, some filing may be required to ensure the strings fit in the slots. Check string height to ensure all strings are even and there are no signs of buzzing

2 Likes

Thank you Archie.
Guess I will continue to deliberate it.
Probably would be less expensive to have a luthier do it than to fix it after I mess it up!:laughing:
I have been gone for some time…had a major shoulder repair that took some time getting stronger, then just got out of the habit I guess. Have been back playing for a little while. Can’t believe how much muscle/ nerve memory was retained.
I’ve gotten a new excited desire to play. So thankful for Ben’s site to help me figure it all out!
Even hoping to join the music group at church some day!

4 Likes

Replacing a nut isn’t that daunting, but it takes some specialized tools and skill (read that as a bit of knowledge and some patience) to get one properly fitted. I freely admit that I have ended up tossing a few nuts that I messed up, but that’s part of learning. If you are game, I say go for it. You’ll need some nut files which folks often borrow if they don’t do it often. Here’s a great video on guitar nut fitting. Fitting a banjo seems pretty similar, but I’d search for a good video on removal. Based on the limited string gauges of a banjo, you could probably get by with a single combo nut file.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I took up the banjo after a bad fall. I broke a small bone in my hand near my thumb and was in plaster for six months. I also damaged the muscles in my shoulder and couldn’t lift any weights for several years so taking up the banjo at that time was perhaps not the wisest decision I’ve made, however the shoulder pain helped to take my mind off the pain from my bleeding and deeply scared finger tips long enough for me to grow callouses and to teach me not to press on the strings so heavily .

1 Like

I must admit I’m enjoying the numb feeling in my fingertips again!!

3 Likes

It’s actually very easy to make nut files out of Feeler Gauges, and if you do mess one up, it’s easy to fix with baking soda and super glue

2 Likes

Gunnar, I like that idea for the feeler gauges. Do you wrap them with sandpaper?

I already made StewMac richer in buying a set from them, but I’d still like to know out of curiosity.

2 Likes

No, you take a needle file and cut notches in the gauge to turn it into a saw blade. Then cut to your hearts content!

2 Likes

@Woodshed provided a link to the free mandolin setup ebook written by Rob Meldrum. I used it to set up a cheap mando and it was very helpful. The link is Mandolin Setup: Free eBook

Nuts are pretty cheap and they are easy to set. The biggest issue is filing it to the correct neck size. If you are handy, it is easy, if not, probably better to have someone do it for you.

1 Like