Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Weekend dilemma

I got invited to a new jam this Saturday. It should have some pretty good pickin, but this Saturday is also the big night at Suwannee Springfest. If I go to the new jam, I have to miss OCMS.

I say “if”, but I’ve already decided: PICKIN > LISTENING

I can’t turn down the opportunity to meet some new local pickers, so, I’m gonna miss OCMS :frowning: , but I’ll still get to catch Peter Rowan and Jerry Douglas on Sunday… and IIIrd Tyme Out and Kenny & Amanda Smith in two weeks, so I guess I’ll survive.

Sounds like a can’t loose situation. I would have to agree that I would rather pick than listen. On the other hand, if it was Kenny Smith, I don’t think I could miss that. Looks like you’ll get to pick and see a good show. Sounds like a great weekend, enjoy.

I have to fix a broken toilet this weekend.

Good dilemma. I think you chose wisely.

Edit: I just hit 1000 posts and nothing special happened. Maybe the big prize is waiting for me when I roll over 2k.

— Begin quote from ____

On the other hand, if it was Kenny Smith, I don’t think I could miss that.

— End quote

I’m pretty interested in hearing Kenny. This is my first chance to see him perform (I didn’t even know who he was before I started hanging around here).

To be totally honest (keep in mind Kenny is one of my guitar hero’s), I have heard some of Kenny and Amanda’s stuff on the radio and it is a little more mellow than what I normally listen to. That was only a few songs though. I’m sure it will be a great show.

Kenny has a record out called “Return” that I am going to buy. They tracked down Norman Blake’s old 30’s Martin and played that on the record along with some other vintage instruments. Sounds like a great record!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upwTWUqYwQ[/video]

Cool story about Norman’s guitar.

Kenny has such a fluid style that he sounds relaxed even when he’s playing fast.

We are getting some really powerful thunderstorms today. Tonight’s jam is outdoors, so looks like we’ve got a rain-out :frowning:

On the bright side, at least I didn’t waste money on a Saturday Springfest ticket. No way the outdoor stages could have any music so far today (and there’s only one indoor stage). I didn’t need to spend $75 to stand around in the rain and drink beer. I can do that at home for free.

Sorry for the rain out, but then again, it sounds like it worked out better than spending the money and still getting rained out. I hope the rest of the weekend goes well.

— Begin quote from ____

Tonight’s jam is outdoors, so looks like we’ve got a rain-out

— End quote

???
So doesn’t someone have a barn? I thought you blokes had barns coming out your ears … must be a bloody big session! :confused:

— Begin quote from ____

I just hit 1000 posts and nothing special happened.

— End quote

Got tired of waiting for you blokes to get here - I’m on my third beer! Here’s to 1000 Mike! :sunglasses:

— Begin quote from ____

So doesn’t someone have a barn?

— End quote

In the interest of protecting their sheep, most farmers won’t let us bluegrass pickers in their barns. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually,the jam was happening at a state park. While there are covered picnic pavillions, they are completely open on the sides, and these aren’t normal storms passing through. A state of emergency has been declared in our county. Hundreds of trees have been reported down, a big chunk of the area is without power, and it’s still not over. Looks like Sunday at Springfest is a wash out, too.

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

Got tired of waiting for you blokes to get here - I’m on my third beer! Here’s to 1000 Mike! :sunglasses:

— End quote

The journey started 4 days ago. I am still flying the little bird around picking people up. It’s windy, so things are going slower than expected. We should be there somewhere between April 7 and May 28. I was surprised to learn that fuel was not normally available in the middle of the Pacific ocean. I am still trying to make arrangements for aircraft carriers to be stationed evenly across the Pacific. Oddly, the US Navy hasn’t yet responded to my requests.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

— Begin quote from ____

So doesn’t someone have a barn?

— End quote

In the interest of protecting their sheep, most farmers won’t let us bluegrass pickers in their barns. :stuck_out_tongue:

— End quote

Doh! :astonished:

This got me thinking. I have a hangar and no sheep… It gets really hot here in summer. I am thinking I might have some good turnouts for “semi-climate controlled” jams in the summer. Hmmmm… the wheels in my brain are turning. Admittedly, they turn quite slow.

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you have some cross ventilation (or fans). Have you checked out the acoustics in your hangar?

I do have fans as well as a window unit AC. It’s not enough to make it like a house, but the AC keeps the humidity down. It’s really quite decent as far as comfort. The acoustics are bouncy and reflective. Certainly not ideal, but it’s actually kind of fun. It is hard to talk when there is a ruckus going on as there is so much sound bouncing around. When I open the (big) door, you are pretty close to an open air environment, but of course, then the hot or cold air comes in. If the outside temps are reasonable, I’d leave the door open. I am doing a group thing on Thursday, I think I’ll have it out in the hangar to see how it sounds.

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

They have the same problem over in New Zealand - just don’t let the pickers in who wear thigh-length boots :mrgreen:

Just got invited to another jam tonight. Makes up for missing out last weekend. And this one is actually in a house, so the sheep can rest easy tonight!