Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Website Framework/Technology

Hey…I really like the layout and functionality of the site. It looks like it’s .NET is that right (except for this forum which is obviously php)?

Web forms or just ASP? I’m a web dev and have been brushing up on my .NET. .NET MVC has been giving me fits so I’m thinking about focusing more on asp or web forms. Just curious as to how this site ticks if anyone has tech answers.

Ok now back to the pickin’…thanks! :smiley:

Mike

— Begin quote from "mswhat"

.NET MVC has been giving me fits so I’m thinking about focusing more on asp or web forms. :smiley:

— End quote

If MVC itself is giving you fits, I would suggest the Head First Design Patterns book. It’s one of my all time favorite tech books. If it’s the .Net MVC framework… good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks Mike, I’ll look that up. It’s specifically the “m” part of mvc…had so much trouble figuring out data access. Not sure forms or asp is any easier.

You a web dev? I’m a cold fusion guy but have started a long overdue look at .net.

That book is one of the few truly enjoyable books one can find on design patterns. As far as data access, it’s kind of tough to get started, but once you do, it’s a pretty much the same thing over and over. If you use SQL, I am not a huge fan of the language, but there are tons of examples out there. Admittedly, it’s pretty powerful. If starting from scratch, there is something that I am not sure it makes it easier, but it’s a really neat thing once you get it configured… that would be codeSmith. We used it for our data access objects. Once you got it configured, it was automagic… just press a button and it produces data access classes.

I am primarily a WinApp developer at the present, although I was a web dev guy in the past for the united states bowling congress for a couple of years (bowl.com). When I did web stuff, our back ends (“M”) were C# and our interfaces (“V”) were java JSPs. I love C#. It’s slick. I wasn’t a big fan of the java world. You can do anything you want, but there are so many different frameworks, it took weeks to figure out which one to use for a given task. I just started a new project yesterday where I get to blend old technology (legacy Mumps server apps and legacy Delphi interfaces) and newer technology (web services). It looks to be fairly challenging. We’ll see how it goes.

I have no idea what most of this stuff means, but I wanted to post on this thread because makes me feel smart. :laughing:

Larry…no worries man. If you see my name in a thread then you know you won’t be the dumbest one involved. ; )

Mike…very nice resume! I am taking a C# class now and I really like it. The .NET stuff is me studying on my own and I’m probably missing chunks of necessary info by jumping from this to that to this.

I don’t see Adobe really pushing Coldfusion like a flagship product, which it probably isn’t, so that’s why I’m looking at .NET.

Now if we can start a BBQ thread we’ll have wrapped up pretty much all my main interests on one message board. : )

MW

Good deal on the C# class. I think you’ll enjoy it. If I could pick the exact job I’d want, I’d be writing C# .Net. I have no idea what will be the big thing 5 years from now, but if I were king, that’s where I’d want things to go.

— Begin quote from "mswhat"

Now if we can start a BBQ thread we’ll have wrapped up pretty much all my main interests on one message board. : )
MW

— End quote

Oh yeah… I love me some BBQ. Pork butt rules! There is a connection between music and BBQ if you squint. I made a 9 lb butt for a picking group a few weeks back. The picking group times are announced via email. I was tempted to come up with with a clever email subject involving “pick” and “butt”. I opted not to do so, as I fear many think a pork “butt” has something to do with the posterior of a pig. Instead I opted for the more friendly sounding “pork shoulder.”
Sadly, there were no leftovers. With only about a dozen people, I was planning on having lunch for a few more days :cry:

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

I have no idea what most of this stuff means, but I wanted to post on this thread because makes me feel smart. :laughing:

— End quote

I am an “old fart” as far as computer guys go, and I honestly have no idea what many of my co workers are saying most of the time. If you just grab a few buzzwords and surround it with a bunch of acronyms, people will think you are an an absolute genius. If you do that enough, you get promoted!

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Good deal on the C# class. I think you’ll enjoy it. If I could pick the exact job I’d want, I’d be writing C# .Net. I have no idea what will be the big thing 5 years from now, but if I were king, that’s where I’d want things to go.

Oh yeah… I love me some BBQ. Pork butt rules! There is a connection between music and BBQ if you squint. I made a 9 lb butt for a picking group a few weeks back. The picking group times are announced via email. I was tempted to come up with with a clever email subject involving “pick” and “butt”. I opted not to do so, as I fear many think a pork “butt” has something to do with the posterior of a pig. Instead I opted for the more friendly sounding “pork shoulder.”
Sadly, there were no leftovers. With only about a dozen people, I was planning on having lunch for a few more days :cry:

— End quote

Ok I’ve just realized it’s entity framework specifically that’s giving me fits. Not MVC. Oh well, I’ll keep at it. My C# class (no pun intended :wink: ) has two lessons devoted strictly to database access so I guess I need to hold my horses and let the teacher have a go.

You can’t beat backyard pork butt. No matter how the restaurants try, few and I mean very few, can compare to a good, low and slow smoked batch of backyard 'que.

— Begin quote from ____

I have no idea what most of this stuff means, but I wanted to post on this thread because makes me feel smart.

— End quote

Ummm, sorry Larry… :mrgreen:

…apologies Larry, thought you said it makes you look smart… :blush:

I dunno, Larry looks pretty smart to me.
On the other hand, I usually look less smart after I post something. With all the posts I have made, I suspect I look like a complete idiot :smiley:

— Begin quote from ____

With all the posts I have made, I suspect I look like a complete idiot

— End quote

At 840 posts, I’m probably not fooling anyone either. I’m gonna start a thread on the quantum mechanics of string vibration (my very own string theory) and see if that helps.

String theory… love it!

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

My point was : how can anyone try to look smart after that exchange at the beginning of this thread between MW & MR?
I sure can’t - it’s all double dutch to me…
BTW mswhat, are you and oldhat brothers?

I dunno Ozzie, I think extracting broken studs to replace a water pump like you did requires more mental horsepower than computer stuff.

— Begin quote from "ozicaveman"

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

My point was : how can anyone try to look smart after that exchange at the beginning of this thread between MW & MR?
I sure can’t - it’s all double dutch to me…
BTW mswhat, are you and oldhat brothers?

— End quote

First time in decades someone has hinted at me being smart!

Me and oldhat brothers? Could be but I think he catches more fish and that gene should run in the family. :wink: