Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Video

Hi everyone - firstly I would like to thank Ben for ‘It came across a midnight clear’. I was thinking I would love to do a version on guitar/mandolin once I have learned it and send it to my mum in the UK as a christmas present (although some people might think it was a punishment)! Does anyone know how I could do a Ben and have 2 of me in the video - Im not very good with these things. Thank you - Neil

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I just mix the audio in GarageBand.

1 Like

It can be done supposedly in iMovie, but I must have too old a version of the software "cause I’ve looked hard and can’t find any of the controls that the youtube instruction videos say are there.

sorry, wish I could be of more help…I’ve been wanting to do split screen stuff for a few years now and haven’t figured it out yet. .

2 Likes

Hey Neil! Are you using Windows or Mac?

2 Likes

Oh wait! Looks like it no longer matters what you use because Lightworks has a build for everyone.

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206

I used the free version of this software to make my “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” video a while back. When you install it, definitely spend the time to watch the tutorial videos it suggests. They’ll get you up and running in no time.

I did run across a few bugs while using it, but I couldn’t really complain considering I was using the free version. If things haven’t changed, the free version will only go up to 720P for export resolution, but that was plenty for me. You can see what that resolution looks like here.

12 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: That video gets me every time. Could you point me to the tutorials you used to make that video?

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

The tutorials that were the most helpful were the suggestions the program itself made right after I installed it. There are tons of Lightworks tutorials on YouTube, but my experience was that the best ones were those made by the Lightworks folks themselves.

I’m not even sure how to go back and find the ones I used. I just searched YouTube for whatever I wanted to do at the time. I literally knew nothing about Lightwave when I videoed that project. It was a steep learning curve, but there’s plenty of info out there to help. If you get stuck, I can try to help, too.

3 Likes

Im a Mac user.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions and the video - wow what a treasure I really love it!!

3 Likes

That video is the best!

2 Likes

Love the video man…that was great!

2 Likes

I am getting ready to install Lightworks, but still don’t understand some things. It will probably make sense once I start using it, but did you mix the audio separately? If anyone else wants to know, I would be very grateful if you could give us some instructions on how to do it.
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Yes, the entire audio track was laid down and mixed first. What you see on the video isn’t actually the track I used for the final video. It’d sure be a lot faster if I could do it that way.

2 Likes

Brilliant Mark…

3 Likes

Ok, I think I get it now. So you are listening to the actual track with headphones, and then sync them in the movie program. I might start working on it today, but the pellets for the pellet stove are arriving and I have to go play at a veterans dinner later…

2 Likes

Yup. You got it. The hardest part for me was getting through each instrument’s video section without an obvious screw up. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just leave the screw up to confuse people :joy::joy: I have two projects in process right now, and in both I played a slightly different variation in the video than the audio :man_facepalming::joy:

2 Likes

Yup, I will probably do that too.

1 Like

I use Adobe Premiere Pro and the learning curve is a bit steep, so I recommend one of the other programs mentioned here since they’re probably easier. I need to record my process of doing these videos sometimes. It’s typically so much work that I don’t think to record it!

1 Like