Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Video looper - app/program

As useful as Ben’s videos are, as a bluegrass newbie I find it hard to use the videos without having to constantly click back and repeat portions over and over. This really breaks my concentration and keeps me from learning as fast as I could be since I am constantly having to fiddle with my computer.

Do any of you guys know of a good tablet app or Windows program that allows me to select a portion of a video and infinity loop it? It would also be nice to slow down the video too, but that is not absolutely necessary. The main thing I am looking for is to loop specific portions of a video so I can completely free my hands and practice a small portion of the song over and over until I can memorize it.

I have found a few very generic loopers that repeat entire videos, but I can not find one that allows me to select portions within the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is one I found, but the $100 price is a bit much for me at the moment. I was hoping to find something a bit more affordable; and hopefully one that will run on a tablet instead of a PC.
videosurgeon.net/

Hey Alex,
I am not aware of an easy way to do what you want with the videos (that’s not to say it doesn’t exist). I might be off base, but it seems like you would have to download the video and run it locally from the hard drive. With that said, have you used TablEdit with the TEF files? It allows someone to slow things down and repetitively play a measure (or any selection). Under the MIDI file menu is the repeat option, and also under there you can select “Play|This measure only” or “Play|Selection only.” You can slow it down by selecting “relative speed” and setting the speed to whatever you want. I think that might provide the type of repetition you are looking for when first learning a song. The TablEdit viewer with these features is free and I think it’s a pretty handy tool.

I’m not sure of any software for videos, but I’ll second what mreisz said. I use the .TEF files for that very purpose.

One thing I especially like about the .TEF files is that you can select a portion of a song, loop it, and then program it to speed up a certain percentage each time it loops it, obviously helping develop the highly coveted speedy banjo fingers.

The TEF files are nice, but I find myself getting lost in the low fidelity of the MIDI sound. I like the idea of using one of Ben’s videos (slow version) and just looping the small sections at a time that I want to learn. The sound of the real guitar, rather than the TEF’s midi notes, registers in my brain a lot better. I actually just found a couple of good apps (Android-Google apps) that seem like they may work. I have just started messing with them, but they seem to be what I was looking for.

AB Repeat Player

This app allows you to set a beginng bookmark ‘A’ and an end bookmark ‘B’, then loop it.

Act 1 Video Player<—trial version
play.google.com/store/apps/deta … layertrial
This app allows you to set up to 20 bookmarks, and select which ever ones you want as the A-B loop. It also has a zoom ability.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I might be off base, but it seems like you would have to download the video and run it locally from the hard drive.

— End quote

Yes, you will need a local video file to use these apps. I am not sure what this site’s policy is on that subject, so I will just leave it at that.

I’m glad it looks like you have found what you want. Let us know how it turns out.

As far as the sound of tabledit, try setting the instrument sound to “Woodblock” and listen to it. Then when you go back to “acoustic guitar”, you’ll be amazed at how much it sounds like a guitar!

If you have a video converter you can convert it to have your player made bu\y misrtosoft and it has a slow down tool As for the looping just parts I am not sure if you can do that or not with Mm player from Microsoft. I do that if I need to slow them down but have always just rewind to the starting point. I will check and see if you can loop I shall return