Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Video How-To?

Is that for windows or apple?

2 Likes

It’s an Android app, on my phone.

2 Likes

I record the audio in Garageband, and the video is saved on the camera’s card. The process is the same no matter what program you use (import the audio and video into a video editor and sync them up).

3 Likes

I’m confused. If you record them at the same time, how does the audio get saved in garageband but the video stays on the camera card? Oh wait, do you use actual mics and interface equipment?

2 Likes

Yeah. I open Garageband on my computer and that’s where the audio from the mic goes. Then I set up the camera separately, start recording on both devices, and I end up with the audio from the mic saved in Garageband and the camera records its own internal audio. So I have two audio tracks, which I sync up to sync up the video, and then I mute the camera audio.

3 Likes

That makes sense now, thanks for being patient. I need to get myself some sort of external mic. What type do you have? I was recently looking at a zoomH2. Would something like that work? I wasn’t sure how well that type worked with instruments.

2 Likes

No problem! I have an SE Electronics SE8. It’s a small diaphragm condenser microphone that requires phantom power (external power through my audio interface). A Zoom H2 will work fine, and capture good audio. It’s a different ball game than a regular mic since it records onboard as well. You can use it in the same way as a standard mic, though. I’ve heard MXL also makes great budget microphones.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’d LOVE to get deeper into mixing both audio and video, but I’m not really sure where to start. There’s so much info out there that it gets confusing! Thanks for the help @Michael_Mark and @Mason_Crone! I’ll be working on a video soon so I can test all this new info.

4 Likes

I really like my zoom h2. Sometimes I run it directly into GarageBand on my Mac and sometimes I just record it on the mic. It’s a great sounding and very handy little mic.

3 Likes

Thanks Libby! I think I’m going to look into getting one soon.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn.) Never mind. I have to try before I comment on the video mix part.

1 Like

Hey @theCrazyEight, here’s the video (just finished it!)

6 Likes

@Michael_Mark, Something like this was what I envisioned I would do. But then how would you add special visual effects and multiple displays? Would it also adjust the audio mix volume in accordance with the visual?

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on what you mean exactly? Split screen can be done in the video editor.

2 Likes

OK here’s and example from @Mark_Rocka’s creation… with multiple displays, fading effects etc…

Ben’s Jazzy Joy to the World (by me) - General chit chat - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

1 Like

The video layer, once lined up with the audio, is its own thing. So you can add whatever affects to the picture that you want without affecting the audio :+1:

As far as how to do it, that depends on the program.

2 Likes

OK so if I understand you correctly, once video and audio mix are lined up, it would be just like any other video shot at one stretch, and you can add any visual effect just like you would do to video. Is that fair to say?

2 Likes

Yep, that’s right!

2 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Mark! I REALLY appreciate it!

3 Likes