Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Value tuners

I’ve tried a few as particularly with E on the Ubass the clipons don’t register well but they are much less hassle than a plugin. After Mike’s testamonial I tried a Snark and prefer it over the Intelli 500. Thanks Mike! Certainly worth a try for the price.

Glad it worked for you Ozzi. On my P-Bass, I have found that the low E registers better if a tuner is not fully seated. In other words, just barely clip it on the end and make a little contact between the tuner clip and the head of the bass. Since learning it worked that way on my bass, I have been doing it that way on most instruments and it seems to work well. It might just be my particular instrument/tuner combinations, but I figured it would be worth a shot for you.

Ended up purchasing the snark sn-2 all instrument tuner (the red one) and have to say am pleased. Works perfect on both my classical guitar and dreadnought, thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you like the snark. After I got mine, my other tuners don’t get much attention. The peterson looks pretty nice, especially the “sweetening” temperament options. I don’t know if I’d use those options, but they sound interesting.

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Here’s an odd post… instead of posting a question, I’ll post an answer. In the old forum there was discussion about tuners and which was a good value. I read enough positive stuff about the Snarks that I got one, even though I already had a few tuners. I got mine for $11 on amazon while ordering some odd strings not available locally (baritone ukulele). I needed something to up the price enough to get free shipping, so why not? The tuner I got is an SN-2, the red one. The reviews were spot on. The tuner is much more stable than others I have. It doesn’t get confused by overtones like some of my others (e.g. when tuning a low E, my korg often thinks it is a B). I think the algorithm has an especially effective buffering built in. When other tuners seem to waver on the tuning as the string oscillates, this one is rock solid.
If anyone wants a great tuner for very little money, I heartily suggest the Snark.

— End quote

I have that same one and it’s awesome. Great tuner, small and out of the way and has a metronome. The lights really dimmed up a lot after a year though. Probably the battery, I have a new one but haven’t put it in yet.

Yep, a new battery and you’ll be able to see it again. The lights dim gradually for quite a while. Fortunately for me, my wife bought some battery powered Christmas lights that use the same battery. :smiley:

…and she may never work out just why those Christmas lights seem so dull … :laughing:

Was working some stuff out for the new bush band the other night with guitar harmonica and fiddle. The harmonica player Bob (our regular bloke who is really good) and the fiddler a young girl, me bashing out basic chords on guitar.
During a break I commented that either the harmonica was playing sharp ( :laughing: I thought) or the fiddle flat. I,of course, was perfect :wink:
That’s when Bob informed me that he tunes his harmonicas sharp to go with concertinas etc (which are apparently tuned to 442) and when you push them harder they go flatter. We checked and they were tuned even sharper than 442. So Hannah tuned up her fiddle to match and no problem!
I thought the snark did not have variable pitch so I just kept playing a bit flat. On checking just now I discovered the little magic button on the back that you don’t see when it is clipped on… :blush:

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Here’s an odd post… instead of posting a question, I’ll post an answer. In the old forum there was discussion about tuners and which was a good value. I read enough positive stuff about the Snarks that I got one, even though I already had a few tuners. I got mine for $11 on amazon while ordering some odd strings not available locally (baritone ukulele). I needed something to up the price enough to get free shipping, so why not? The tuner I got is an SN-2, the red one. The reviews were spot on. The tuner is much more stable than others I have. It doesn’t get confused by overtones like some of my others (e.g. when tuning a low E, my korg often thinks it is a B). I think the algorithm has an especially effective buffering built in. When other tuners seem to waver on the tuning as the string oscillates, this one is rock solid.
If anyone wants a great tuner for very little money, I heartily suggest the Snark.

— End quote

I have used the snark for a long time I find them to be more accurate and faster someone made it right it is a battery eater though

I ordered one of those Planet Waves NS Micro Tuners online and it arrived today. I’m amazed at how small it is! I can leave it attached to the headstock permanently, even in the case.

I was concerned that the display might be too small for my old eyes but it turns out it’s big enough. Seems to be in reasonable agreement with my Intellitouch tuner, too, so I’m pretty pleased with it so far. Guess I need to see if it can handle my dobro tuning needs next.

I didn’t know one could tune a dobro… cool!

Sure you knew. I showed you the difference between a tuned and unturned dobro on our Joy To The World project. :smiley:

Thumbs up on the Planet Waves Micro Tuner! When I heard it stays on the headstock even when you case the guitar I had to have it. Mine lives happily on my J-45. I will probably order a second one.

I just ordered two more, myself, so I can leave one on my wife’s guitar and one on my dobro.

That is one cool looking little tuner. I know of no reports of any problems with the PW micro, but I would suggest periodically checking to ensure it isn’t interacting with the finish. I have seen where straps, tuners and hangers kind of melt finishes. Maybe check it once a month for the first half year or so.

A potential tip for tuner batteries. Many of them use small lithium batteries. Mine use the CR2032. My next order with Amazon, I am going to order 20 of them for under $8 (search something like “Sony 3v lithium”). I haven’t tried them, but assuming they are decent, it beats spending $5 for 2 batteries at the local Walmart.

Gee…thanks a lot Larry! Got on the Snark bandwagon and was totally happy with it, now I’m going to have to buy one of those micro tuners. (I’m addicted that way) :laughing:

All the tuner manufacturers should be watching. They could advertise “endorsed by Banjo Ben’s Bandwagon” :laughing:

— Begin quote from ____

I would suggest periodically checking to ensure it isn’t interacting with the finish.

— End quote

Good suggestion. When I change strings I always polish my guitar and vacuum out the insides, so it will always come off then. I’ll report if it causes any damage.

— Begin quote from ____

Got on the Snark bandwagon and was totally happy with it

— End quote

I was just about to get on the Snark wagon myself when I saw the Planet Waves microtuner, but I see Snark is making a tiny tuner now, too: http://www.snarktuners.com/tuners/son-of-snark

— Begin quote from "Bulldog"

Gee…thanks a lot Larry! Got on the Snark bandwagon and was totally happy with it, now I’m going to have to buy one of those micro tuners.

— End quote

Me too Bulldog. The only reason I bought a Snark was from what I heard on this forum. And everybody was right! I bought a red one and it’s the best tuner I’ve ever had. I’ve only had maybe four or five clip-ons but this one is much better.

I have an Amazon order that I need a little more to qualify for free shipping, so maybe I’ll just have to try this new micro tuner.

Jeff