Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Upgrading or downgrading?

I have a Martin D-28, which I love. If I can save up enough, I may buy a new guitar. The D-41 sounds wonderful, but the abalone rosette and purfling look tacky to me. Obviously, I’m partial to Martins, but I’m looking for something less flashy.

If I’m not mistaken, Ben plays a D-18 on the guitar track, and it sounds good. Much fuller tone than I had been led to believe. I was under the impression that the D-18 was the D-28’s shy sibling.

I am also open to trying a different brand entirely, like Collings or Bourgeois.

2 Likes

Hey Chad,
The best advice I can give you is go to a shop with great variety (I like Gruhn’s) and find out what speaks to you. The D18 is mahogany back and sides, the D28 is rosewood (Indian rosewood for about the last 50 years). That is the majority of the tonal difference. I personally like most tonewoods, but they have different characteristics. Ben’s D18 is an “Authentic” which means that it has more significant scalloping, different bracing, hide glue, a fixed neck (as opposed to a adjustable truss rod), and an Adirondack top. It is significantly more pricey than a standard D18. But yes, Ben’s is a fine sounding guitar. If you are in search of bigger tone, but not more bling, that’s the general direction I’d go. The authentics or the other custom shop variants are consistently great guitars. There’s no right or wrong, just what appeals to you. Go find the guitar that suits you. It’s a fun search!

3 Likes

Jake at the General Store has had a lot of good things to say about the newest Yamaha Red Label models. I played one at last year’s Texas camp. It has a great tone.

People don’t think of Yamaha when looking for a bluegrass guitar, but they may just be the best bang for your buck. Call the store and talk to the guys there about it.

3 Likes

I’m almost mahogany all the way, these days, especially in band settings

3 Likes

I have a 1968 D-28 (Brazilian rosewood) and a 2018 D-18 (Sinker mahogany). I prefer the D-18 for playing hard-driving bluegrass and actually almost all the time. Collings makes exceptional guitars, but I still think Martins will always be my favorite. So I vote for a D-18 too!

6 Likes

:pig:
Hog’s rule! One thing no one has mentioned thus far is that I find hog MUCH easier to record. It’s not near as picky about mic placement.

@Flatpickin_Libby , any opinion on how much difference the “sinker” makes and how does it affect it? I have been a hog guy for a long time, but I don’t have a sinker one.
Trying singing a song with the Brazlian versus the hog… years ago, someone told me he preferred singing with rosewood. I tested the concept, and I agreed with him. It could have simply been confirmation bias. In time I came to the conclusion that Indian is the easiest to sing with. Something about all those harmonics I bet. Just curious if you find the same thing.

1 Like

I don’t know about the singing thing; I do most singing with my D-18 so I’m pretty used to that.

I personally think the Sinker makes a difference; I think they’re exceptionally explosive guitars. I also just like mine a lot because it feels really good on my left hand (the neck width and depth is just right for me); but I think the Sinker wood does make them louder and better sounding. They’re also very well-built (from the Custom Shop) and very consistent.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. In truth, I decided to complete the trilogy, and bought a mando. I’d heard nothing but good things about the Kentucky KM-150, so I went ahead and ordered one from the General Store. I’ve learned to trust the judgment of the Banjo Ben crew, so I figured I’d rather get an instrument from them than Guitar Center. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

5 Likes

You won’t be sorry, and I’m honored that you trust us at the Store!

1 Like