Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Time for Banjo Ben to "grow up"?

I felt that in my soul. :+1:

YES PLEASE! THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

10 Likes

It’s pretty incredible that you guys were able to pull of an awesome video, a grand opening, and ship me and who knows how many other people their Black Friday orders and instrument bundles. I don’t know how you do it (both from the value perspective for us happy customers, and the sheer amount of work this sale must be). It’s a shame this sort of criticism comes when you are really giving us everything you’ve got. I really appreciate the care that went into getting me my new mandolin (and I know my wife appreciates the new mute for my upright bass). I also really enjoyed the video, and took it for what it was meant to be.

Maybe instead of a Gold Pick Member of the week, you could pick one of us each week to be the CEO of BanjoBenClark.com? On second thought, I think Ben has it under control.

11 Likes

Back when the idea popped in to my head to learn banjo I went from Jim Pankey, to PegHead Nation, and then to your site. This video is how I discovered you. Please don’t go corporate. Your lessons and humor have really helped me get through the past few years which included my divorce and this COVID mess.

I’m pretty much hooked now. I’ve just become a life time member, got a ukulele being delivered tomorrow, and a Twanger on order.

Thanks for all that you do,

Jamie.

P.S. Is Tavin avaliable for mowing yards?

15 Likes

I’m scrolling…scrolling…waiting…scrolling…then BAM!! There it is, the Tavin comment. You beat me to it.

• More Tavin
  • More mullets
  • More HYPE MAN!
  • More instruments carefully boxed and thrown in the river.
13 Likes

@BanoBen Well I guess i will put my two cents in Mr Clark I think ye should remain as ye are what the heck is life or for that matter having a business if you can not enjoy yourself some, I for one happen to enjoy the antics and comedy that you provide in a lot of things you do just have fun and be yourself the person that sent you that note obviously does not know how to enjoy life in my opinion, heck my wife’s son is 45 and still acts like he is 12 most of the time that’s just the way he is you have to just shake your head and let him be him, don’t change for anyone
there is my 2 cents worth

7 Likes

All in on the corn cob remover.

7 Likes

You know, Ben told me he still has that banjo and the big gashes in the finish Tavin put in it during that video. I cringed when I saw Tavin scrape that thing against the swing. OUCH!

12 Likes

Is there a high-five reaction button somewhere on this forum? Because I don’t think pressing “like” sufficiently conveys how I feel about your comment. So, high-five! :raised_hands::clap:

7 Likes

If some one has been a member since 2012, then they have well got their money’s worth of content and instruction, and if they are displeased with the content they can walk away at anytime knowing the site has changed in a way they don’t like. To me, the site seemed as if it was just as goofy and personable ( as well as informative and instructive) back then as it is now. So they want something different then what they originally signed up for? That doesn’t make sense. Undoubtedly the personality of the website and instruction quality is what brought them here in the first place, why would they want everything to change into something that is different.
I recently got the lifetime membership with an understanding that am paying for all the site content that is available now, and all future stuff is a bonus, and i also understand the current format and personality and general mood of the site before I paid. If everything changed tomorrow I will still have what was if that makes sense. If it changes, and I don’t like it, I don’t have to visit the site anymore, or if the promotional videos are the problem, I don’t have to watch them. But the idea of changing an entire business model that has worked since 2012 because of a ten minute video is a bit of a stretch.
Understandably, we, the subscribers are the revenue, and complaints and critics and praises are essential to making sure your keeping your customer base happy and sometimes change is fresh and revitalizing and fun, I get that. So, maybe, just maybe, he thinks as a paying customer he is giving u sound business advice that will help prolong the business, even if he comes off as a real stuffed shirt ol’ curmudgeon. Thats me giving this person the benefit of the doubt, because after all I don’t know the person. But if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Ur site can’t make every paying customer happy, but I feel u being true to ur self is what keeps us all here. O, and another thing, since when did 41 become the grow up age!!! 41??? Holy cow, they got dudes in their 70’s sky diving and running marathons. I have a feeling u were never hired for a gig because u were, “grown up.” Life is short and God is good, life is for living not for dying. Operating ur business how u see fit and not letting negative nay sayers cast doubt on ur success is the real “grown up” move. Its like u said in a promo video for camp once were u said"…~~ if ur just coming here to show everyone how good u are, then maybe this place isn’t for u and we don’t want u here because we want people who are here who want to learn and have fun." I hate to see this poor guy get roasted if his intentions were good (some people are just bad communicators after all) but jeez o’ pete he sure came off as class A Richard. :man_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

We should see the remover in the store any day now. Use code GETITOUT at checkout for 10% off.

Ben, perfect mix to draw in younger crowd and keep us old fogies awake. Your heart pores out in every lesson I’ve seen.

5 Likes

It’s not really about “the person” who made the comment, but rather the point brought up - business model: stay as is, or, be more corporate like. Which is ultimately Ben’s choice.

Because - even if something is “perfect” there will always be someone complaining. (Can’t make everyone happy all of the time.) Because - define “perfect”. That definition will be different for everyone, as folks accept, reject, & perceive things in widely varying ways.

The top notch educational material & musicality brought us to the site. We have the option to participate, or not. We also have the option to enjoy the “bonus content”, or not. Something here for everyone, at their own discretion.

Personally, I enjoy & appreciate ALL aspects of the current business model, Site, & G.Store, the content, the caring & hard work of Ben, his Family, his whole Team, and the Forum friends in addition to all the humor and “bonus material” :grin:. That combo is the secret sauce which makes it special. Thanks for all that you collectively do!

Theres an old saying - “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.”

11 Likes

Don’t change much about the site if you redesign it. I know its important to refresh the look from time to time, else you are like my living room that has wood paneling from the family room on The Brady Bunch.

As far as growing up goes, you have a wife and kids, yet with your personality you’re the closest thing to Peter Pan I’ve seen. That’s a great complement. Keep making things fun for yourself, your family and your customers.

Sounds like the comments were written by a t-sipper with a stick up his butt or perhaps my mother-in-law. Don’t waste a minute on people like this, back in the day they would have hated Minnie Pearl or Stringbean. Who needs them? (Unless it was written by your mother-in-law)

7 Likes

How come I’ve never seen that second video before?! That was awesome :joy:

I say dance with the one what brung ya! Every musical kid has a decision to make: be a musician, or grow up. You’ve obviously chosen wisely and there’s no reason to change your mind now

9 Likes

Me 2 @Mark_Rocka Tavin didn’t seem to care and just kept rambling but you could see a mood change as @BanjoBen realised all was not well. I can only imagine what happened when the camera was turned off.

6 Likes

“The reason angels can fly is because they take themselves so lightly!”
—G. K. Chesterton

7 Likes
11 Likes

Trust me I had to dig to find it but I thought Banjo Ben Beaver (Bieber yes I know I spelled his name wrong) was worth the excavation. :rofl:

6 Likes

So, my idea would be to send the complainer a compilation of our least funny humor. Maybe some stuff that is sad or annoying…you know, the bible does say to heap coals of fire on their head. So if they don’t like the humor, maybe we should give them loads of non humor. But seriously, changing something and making it a corperation would be terrible. than i just might not be seen around here any more.

4 Likes

Ben, that’s just kind of out there and don’t you know that it has been debunked? There is no widespread evidence of silliness and immaturity at banjobenclark.com.

6 Likes

I’ll chime in with the popular opinion, keep making us laugh. One of my favorite videos is the one in which the wife is looking for her “ointment,” also the “I’m a lawn mowing man,” that is a classic. If anything, I’d like to see more of the goofy videos, they don’t get in the way of the teaching. Geez, let’s have some fun along the way.

9 Likes